New Steel rising quickly on new B-School

wolverine

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well look at my piss poor photo skills showing through tonight. I was hungry for a Big Ten Burrito so I pulled up near the SE corner of the building on the way.

This is all you get!

bs1.jpg

It's a shame we don't have the photo update talents of the GR people. Except more at 2:00 am in the morning!

I got my camera back last night and took some pictures of B-school school today.

At one point they had some guys hanging on to the end of the cable suspended from that massive crane and the thing hoisted them up to the top levels. Quite a ride, they should sell tickets to fraternities.

92729836ej7.jpg

86307131ds1.jpg

23119882um2.jpg

10547469vt2.jpg

81265565to2.jpg

24308545gg2.jpg

82896763rl3.jpg

53447758oi7.jpg

79374215cg9.jpg

I also took these construction pictures of the addition of that hideous monstrosity to the Art Museum.

For those who don't know, here's a rendering of what it's supposed to look like.

http://www.umma.umich.edu/news/building-update.html

On top of that, they're tearing up a wonderful plaza space to build it.

a1ja4.jpg

a2qw7.jpg

a3pk2.jpg

The Mysterious and Legendary tunnels beneath the university reveal themselves!!

a4hh7.jpg

a5lv9.jpg

The inside looks cool, the outside however, is completely out of context with its surroundings. I hate it when architects sacrifice context in the hopes of gaining acclaim or award... especially with a design as bland as this one appears on the exterior.

It's going to ruin any progress toward continuity the campus was making and it's going to stick out like sore thumb on that corner... there was a really nice historical theme there (especially before they built the LSA building).

Too late now I guess.

I only like the LSA building now because it got new windows, and that beautiful limestone mechanical penthouse which compliments the design very well.. Agreed that its an excellent building of its time. But I never liked its appearance on the campus. It just screams orange to me too much.

Not sure about the art museum though. The renderings don't tell me much. I'm just glad it won't be heavily attached to the art Museum (only by a breezeway) I feel it's placement though will make the campus more constricted. Tappan Hall looks suffocated.

As for the B-School. Looks like that huge setback from the street is being maintained like it was with the older building, and even the ones before it.. What is up with that, and why is it being kept?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, this topic was resurected after more then a year. The building should be pretty much done by now right? I agree with mgman, I'd like to see how the project has turned out if anyone in the area gets the chance to take a few shots.

Archived