Palm trees growing anywhere in West Virginia? How about Longleaf pines?

Tennesseestorm

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was thinking if there were any type of growth there, that it would have to be in the southwestern part of the state. I doubt any are in the east, especially in the northeast part of WV.

I am surprised that you have not palms there in northwestern Arkansas. You should be as far south as us, but I guess the difference is that the air may get initially colder there, as it sometimes moderates before it makes it all the way eastward, but I imagine that our temps are about the same in line with northwestern Arkansas.

I lived in Huntington, WV for a few years and I do know that Sugar Maples are one of the most abundant trees in WV. The Sugar Maple is also the state tree. With hot humid summers and milder winters the southwestern portion of WV are more suitable to palms or tropical plants than the rest of the state. I planted a Giant Elephant Ear in my small garden in Huntington that grew well. The main problem with WV is the soil as there's a high amount of clay which palms don't like too much. When I made my garden I had to dig up all the clay and mix in sand and shells to help aerate the soil.

I live in Northwest Arkansas now and the only palms here are made of plastic.

Yeah, I was thinking if there were any type of growth there, that it would have to be in the southwestern part of the state. I doubt any are in the east, especially in the northeast part of WV.

I am surprised that you have not palms there in northwestern Arkansas. You should be as far south as us, but I guess the difference is that the air may get initially colder there, as it sometimes moderates before it makes it all the way eastward, but I imagine that our temps are about the same in line with northwestern Arkansas.

Archived