Asheville Gateway

AsheVid

I saw Orulz post a comment on the ACT article about Asheville's motor mile, and wanted to start a discussion about the old Anderson Nissan property, and the "Asheville Gateway" in general. Orulz, I am hoping you can add some positive insight to the typical "density and development suk" comments on the ACT site. :rolleyes:

I heard through the neighborhood grapevine that the site was purchased by a developer who is planning on putting in a hotel / spa destination w/ retail and dining - a la the Haywood Park Hotel. I heard this at a neighborhood meeting back in November... at the time I think the start of the project was at least 18 months down the road.

Also, just a block over from the Anderson site, the old Pioneer Welding site was recently sold to a developer from Athens, GA. (the same one who did the BottleWorks building in downtown Athens.) He is planning on putting in condos and single family homes on the site, and the future residents will have a wonderful view!

Eastern view from Pioneer Welding site

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi... glad you noticed my post :) The folks on the C-T message board are so overwhelmingly negative about absolutely everything so it's nice to have a bit of optimism on there for a change.

For the other folks in the board, here is the article and here is the post.

Regarding Pioneer Welding, is this the site you're talking about? Also in the neighborhood is Asheville Transit's maintenance facility, which keeps showing up on the lists and maps of city-owned property near downtown of which the city is looking to divest itself. Both Pioneer and the Asheville Transit facility seem out-of-place in a (re?) developing residential neighborhood like WE/CAN.

Regarding the Anderson site - do you happen to remember the name of the developer? There was somebody on the C-T forum who said the Lincoln dealership will stay, but to me it looks more like Fred Anderson is getting out of the Lincoln/Mercury business altogether (the websites for both no longer exist.) The spa-hotel mixed use project you mention sounds kind of similar to the four-story Kessler hotel going up in Biltmore Village. I wouldn't mind something even bigger happening here, though, I just hope we end up with an urban site plan, rather than something quasi-urban and ugly. Are the used car lots on the other side of Clingman included in the plan, too? It's been a while since I've been through there, but as I recall, at least part of that lot belonged to Anderson.

• 1 month later...

The new cars are from Hunter Volvo down in Hendersonville. I know the hotel isn't even going to start the planning until 2008. I'm sad to see more cars back already, but at least the site is being occupied by someone for the time being.

• 6 months later...

Things are moving forward w/ the Pioneer Welding site. Looks like they will start preselling condos next month and the website about the project is up... 100 Park Ave North

With this project, the possible change in format to the Smokey Park Bridge, and all of the action in the River Arts District taking place, the West End / Clingman ave neighborhood will be looking a whole lot different (and more dense) in the coming years.

Thanks for talking about the Pioneer Welding Site project. It is a great spot in the neighborhood with some spectacular views.

We actually start selling these condos on October 5! We will be on site all day for folks to choose their unit. You can view full plans and pricing now on www.100ParkAvenueNorth.com. Please contact me if you have any questions about the project.

(I want to add that Planning & Zoning voted unanimously in favor of the project the first week of Sept. The final approval with City Coucil takes place Oct 16.)

Things are moving forward w/ the Pioneer Welding site. Looks like they will start preselling condos next month and the website about the project is up... 100 Park Ave North

With this project, the possible change in format to the Smokey Park Bridge, and all of the action in the River Arts District taking place, the West End / Clingman ave neighborhood will be looking a whole lot different (and more dense) in the coming years.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The proposed master plan for phase I of the Westgate Expansion is up on the Development Mapper. Plans include a new 7 story retail/residential building, a 5-story parking deck, a new 3-story office/retail building, and another 1-story retail building. The plan pretty much looks like a strip mall with a tall apartment building and a parking deck attached, not really very urban.

I'm disappointed that the new 1-story retail building they're planning will preclude the possibility of building anything right up to the sidewalk of Patton Avenue, which will hopefully be a pretty nice stroll into downtown once the I-26 connector project is done.

A few renderings are on the FIRC group website..

reside_westgate_1.jpg

reside_westgate_2.jpg

reside_westgate_3.jpg

Archived