Memphis Ranked number 1 on another list

crossroad

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there's a lot of comparable cities to Memphis on that list--Tulsa, Little Rock, OK City, & Louisville (all in the bottom 10), and Nashville (#87) and Birmingham (#89) are not far off. We all have many things in common that likely contribute to the problem, but other Southern cities and sprawly (not sure that's a word) cities are much higher on the list. A lot could certainly be associated with how the rankings are determined--percentage of overweight people living in the city presently. We, and Memphis especially, need to be taking steps to ensure that healthy options are made available (parks, trails, bicycle lanes, pedestrian safety, public transit, and overall walkability). These alone won't do it because individuals are ultimately responsible for their own health--eating right, excercising, and having a pro-health mentality.

With Shelby Farms, the biggest problems to be addressed are the need for more amentities/options and better accessibility--by road, public transit, and bike. But beyond that, if you build it, they may still not come. People must still make the effort and have the desire to be active and to utilize the great asset that Shelby Farms can be.

This surveys are about as dumb as their topic

How do you statisically make this possible. what is defined as healthy? what insenuating factors could skew this statistic... St Jude population? Retirment homes etc.

these surveys hold as much ground as presidential race polls for the 2008 elections do right now....

I think humidity hurts us, it presents another obstacle against outdoor activity. Regardless whether we are absolutely last, or in the bottom half, I think we have to recognize that something needs to change, not just here, but all over America. And why shouldn't Memphis become a leader in that change? Why shouldn't Memphis become the healthiest city in America? There is no reason why not. Obesity is not acceptable healthwise, not just for the person suffering from it, but also society in general. There is also evidence that a healthy, athletic body contributes to the health of the mind and productivity.

When it comes to statistics, there are various health/medical statistics that are relevant. Who knows how large the sample is. A good statistician could come up with a system to measure health in a city with fair reliability.

We need to improve and encourage bicycling, maintain and increase our parks and recreation, and promote healthy activity. As well as promote pedestrian-friendly developments.

To tell you the truth I don't think the city really cares about the health of its citizens. It is evident in the fact that the city would not add bike lanes on the walnut grove rd. bridge over the wolf river. Now people that want to ride their bike into shelby farms are going to have to fight traffic to get over the bridge. This is a sure way to discourage riders.

I have heard about a plan that could link the parks on the river to parks in germantown and collierville. I think this is an incredible idea, but they are only words not actions. The city of memphis is not pedestrian friendly. Everyone drives like they are on a mission and nobody is going to get in their way. It is hard to run on the streets when people are trying to hit you even when you are on the sidewalk. The city needs to step in and encourage outdoor activities. They need to promote shelby farms. We need to clean up our entire city parks, so that they are an inviting environment not a haven for thieves and muggers.

Nonetheless, we have a lazy city. People don't want to put the effort to do something healthy. Not to bring up the crime issue again, but if were a healthier city I bet our crime rate would go down a little bit too. The only reason I am saying this is because of what clobber had said "There is also evidence that a healthy, athletic body contributes to the health of the mind and productivity." When people are in better shape they feel better about themselves and they are more encouraged to work harder. With this extra self-confidence, some of these people that normally might rob someone because it is an easy way out might work a little harder during the day to advance themselves in their jobs.

Maybe the city could encourage its citizens to support the St. Jude marathon, half-marathon, and 5k. I have run the half marathon before and it is great fun. It has always disappointed me when the nightly news and our paper don

I noticed yesterday that the plot of land off Forest Hill (right as you get off Nonconnah going towards Germantown) where the Memphis Belle was supposed to go is being developed for the Greenbelt. Bridges and many paths have been put in. When I drove by, you could see a pretty nice configuration for the area. This is a good step towards connecting the Greenbelts of Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville.

Archived