Smoking Michigan

NorthEnder

I've been a huge proponent of smoke-free dining establishments for a long long time, but our state seems to be against it, but WOOD TV had an interesting little story on it tonight, with our State's grades from the American Lung association.

I know for a fact an important senator who's sub-committee is in charge of passing on legislature to ban smoking in dining establishments is deep into the pockets of big tobacco. SO big infact, he helped pass a law saying no municipality can pass a law banning smoking in an eating/drinking establishment.

Anyway...

Smoke free air - F

Prevention - F

Restriction on youth access - f

Cigarette Tax - A

Congrats senate, house, and governer.

:blink:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5997468

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know for a fact an important senator who's sub-committee is in charge of passing on legislature to ban smoking in dining establishments is deep into the pockets of big tobacco. SO big infact, he helped pass a law saying no municipality can pass a law banning smoking in an eating/drinking establishment.

When there is a smoking ban there is damage to the bar owner. their right to have a business with smoking in it is taken away. I am from NY and when I go back home to visit you always see the patrons having to go outside to smoke and they end up litering on the sidewalk. SO it comes down to what is better, the smoke and trash staying inside in a controlled spot or trash and smoke right outside your entrance?

When there is a smoking ban there is damage to the bar owner. their right to have a business with smoking in it is taken away. I am from NY and when I go back home to visit you always see the patrons having to go outside to smoke and they end up litering on the sidewalk. SO it comes down to what is better, the smoke and trash staying inside in a controlled spot or trash and smoke right outside your entrance?

I know that there is no hurt to the actual income that the bar owner receives, it is just the the fact of that right is taken away from the owner of the establishment of having a smoking or non-smoking bar, I would say at least there should be a law requiring a proper air system is in place to filter the air out of the bar. If you have ever been in the Uccello's in Standale, they have a really good ventilation system that constantly changes the air in the restaurant. It is kinda hard to smell the smoke in there.

I know that there is no hurt to the actual income that the bar owner receives, it is just the the fact of that right is taken away from the owner of the establishment of having a smoking or non-smoking bar, I would say at least there should be a law requiring a proper air system is in place to filter the air out of the bar. If you have ever been in the Uccello's in Standale, they have a really good ventilation system that constantly changes the air in the restaurant. It is kinda hard to smell the smoke in there.

Clean air for the non smoker is a right, Smoking is a privilege bestowed upon those who offer it to them. NEVER the other way around.

IMPO, the smoker has no rights to anything at all that have to do with their smoking. There is no "right to smoke" just like there is no "right to drive" or "right to own a home" these are all choice we make. If you have a problem with a smoking ban, then either find someplace you can smoke, or just quit! I guess you can tell I have no sympathy for smokers. I don;t care, truthfully they don't deserve sympathy. I get a cheap thrill just watching smokers huddle outside freezing their tails off trying to puff down a cig while I'm in my workplace in a nice warm building eating my lunch.

Clean Air will trump smoke filled air all the time. 100%.

Clean air for the non smoker is a right, Smoking is a privilege bestowed upon those who offer it to them. NEVER the other way around.

IMPO, the smoker has no rights to anything at all that have to do with their smoking. There is no "right to smoke" just like there is no "right to drive" or "right to own a home" these are all choice we make. If you have a problem with a smoking ban, then either find someplace you can smoke, or just quit! I guess you can tell I have no sympathy for smokers. I don;t care, truthfully they don't deserve sympathy. I get a cheap thrill just watching smokers huddle outside freezing their tails off trying to puff down a cig while I'm in my workplace in a nice warm building eating my lunch.

Clean Air will trump smoke filled air all the time. 100%.

I understand that the non-smoker has the right to clean air, but as a business/land owner you should be allowed to allow smoking in the building that you own, just as same if you ban smoking in the building that you own. I am just against the right being taken away from a owner. As a smoker I deal with it. It is my bad habit and I do try to be a courteous smoker when I do smoke, like when I know that I am with non-smokers, I will not smoke, I will just wait and be patient.

Although you try to be a courteous smoker, it doesn't matter. The smoke infiltrates the entire bar and restaurant, right down to the studs in the walls. There is no inherent "right" for businesses to allow smoking in their places when there are employees and the public there.

Another push to ban smoking in bars

26 states now forbid smoking in bars and restaurants. What are we waiting for? If the bar and restaurant industry was really so worried about their "rights", they would be fighting to get rid of liquor licenses so that they can serve to whomever, whenever they want without getting permission from the state. If you follow their logic, isn't the state restricting their right to serve alcohol?

Archived