Smoking Michigan

NorthEnder

Although you try to be a courteous smoker, it doesn't matter. The smoke infiltrates the entire bar and restaurant, right down to the studs in the walls. There is no inherent "right" for businesses to allow smoking in their places when there are employees and the public there.

Another push to ban smoking in bars

26 states now forbid smoking in bars and restaurants. What are we waiting for? If the bar and restaurant industry was really so worried about their "rights", they would be fighting to get rid of liquor licenses so that they can serve to whomever, whenever they want without getting permission from the state. If you follow their logic, isn't the state restricting their right to serve alcohol?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, the government will never give up control over liquor licenses. Think about it for a minute, with liquor licenses, there are rules and laws that are inforced. As a restaurant manager, I have seen many irresponsible bar and restaurant owners. If they weren't threatened with losing their liquor license, it could allow things to get out of control such as serving minors, over-serving of alcohol, and other serious liabilities (on the bar and more so importantly innocent people). There are enough alcohol related problems in this country/state without allowing mass chaos.

I'm not advocating that liquor licenses be banished, but you help serve my point that in some circumstances, the state should be involved with decisions made by business owners. Smoking is one of them. I truly believe bars and restaurants would benefit from a law like this. Unfortunately, bar owners are probably only trying to appease their "regulars", who are probably also heavy smokers (I know, I've been there).

I'm not advocating that liquor licenses be banished, but you help serve my point that in some circumstances, the state should be involved with decisions made by business owners. Smoking is one of them. I truly believe bars and restaurants would benefit from a law like this. Unfortunately, bar owners are probably only trying to appease their "regulars", who are probably also heavy smokers (I know, I've been there).

I've worked in non-smoking establishments in the past and it definately works with and against the restaurant/bar. If the customer likes the smoke free, they are your regular customers. The smokers, well, they will go somewhere else. I think that smokers are the only ones pushing for smoking establishments...the rest of us would prefer to see non smoking everywhere. The only problem is that it's needs to be all or nothing throughout the city/state, otherwise business will suffer.

I know it's a philisophical debate, but why doesn't the non-smoker have rights to clean air inside a bar? And please, don't say, "it's a bar, they can choose not to go," because, hey, it's a bar, the smoker can chose to stay home and smoke.

Also, if you go to a resteraunt, no matter the length taken to seperate smokers from non-smokers, inevitably there is mixing of air, and depending on number of smokers, everything gets a general smokey smell, eyes burn, allergies are affected, etc. The non-smoker should have their rights protected in that instance, because the smokers right to choose isn't more important than the non-smokers right to clean air.

Ok, first of all i'm a smoker...that said...i agree "we" don't have an inherent right to be in a place to smoke. However since when has it been up to the government to meddle in the business of a private landowner. If the business ower wants to allow smokers he's entitled to that right. Just as a business owner is allowed to say we don't allow smoking. At that point I have a choice...Big Boy here in Dwntwn GR is entirely non smoking...have I gone in there to eat sure...but if i decide i want to light up and enjoy a smoke with my meal i'll go elsewhere..which "is" my right!!The only people who should be able decide to allow smoking or not are the business owners!!!!!!!!The smoking section and the non should be in different rooms agreed..even I laugh at how stupid it is to have a smoking section with a half wall separating the two sections...JMO

Because smokers are defending a habit that is unhealthy, pollutes the air, pollutes the sidewalks and roadways, costs the whole community money in healthcare costs, is run by corrupt businesses, has killed hundreds of millions over the years through emphyzema and lung cancer, cost companies money in lost productivity, increased insurance premiums for everyone.....

Not opinion, proven by empirical evidence. Smokers bear the burden of proving that their habit has no impact on the rest of us. Not the other way around. That's why smokers will never "win" an argument.

It's time to put a stake in smoking and we can all look back at it as a very unfortunate occurrence in the 20th century. Just quit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived