Developers now control 50+ properties in Belknap Lookout neighborhood

GRDadof3

Medical development sparks land speculation

"We felt strongly about it four years ago. We feel even stronger about it today," said Horlings, who is affiliated with the Artesian Group LLC.

Horlings said the Artesian Group and a coalition of other investors have bought nearly 50 homes in the neighborhood. He declined to name the other investors.

....Aside from housing, some of their plans could include bringing retail shopping back to the neighborhood, he said. The area has lacked access to a grocery store since Int. 196 slashed through the neighborhood in the mid-1960s.

"We really have only one real opportunity for this neighborhood to realize the potential it has," he said. "We don't want to ruin it."

Ruin the opportunity, or ruin the neighborhood? tamias6's proposed development over the freeway would preserve the character of the neighborhood, and could offer neighborhood commercial amenities:

363804808_69532d2629_o.jpg

Based on Columbus, OH's "Cap" development:

columbus_cap.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Medical development sparks land speculation

"We felt strongly about it four years ago. We feel even stronger about it today," said Horlings, who is affiliated with the Artesian Group LLC.

Horlings said the Artesian Group and a coalition of other investors have bought nearly 50 homes in the neighborhood. He declined to name the other investors.

Ruin the opportunity, or ruin the neighborhood? tamias6's proposed development over the freeway would preserve the character of the neighborhood, and could offer neighborhood commercial amenities:

That's not all that surprising with all the developments going on up there right now. I know that's where I'd be looking for investment property right now.

I did get a notice on my door a few months back that a real estate investment group was looking to buy houses in my neighborhood. I'm in the Fulton Heights neighborhood, and one of the reasons i chose to live here was because of the proximity to downtown. I hope speculators are interested in my area because that means I'm not the only one who thinks it's a good place and land values will hopefully go up.

My rent checks go to The Artesian Group. If the lackadaisical "investor" who owns my building is indicative of their "investment group," no other land speculator, or n'hood assn, has anything to worry about.

edit for clarity...y'all didn't get to see what I originally called this...person

My rent checks go to The Artesian Group. If the lackadaisical "investor" who owns my building is indicative of their "investment group," no other land speculator, or n'hood assn, has anything to worry about.

edit for clarity...y'all didn't get to see what I originally called this...person

I am hoping Steve Faber (from the article referred to in this post, and also a Urban Planet GR member) posts some comments here as well. From everything that I have heard and seen regarding the Artesian Group, your experience is the norm. In fact I have heard them called much much worse than a lackadaisical investor!

I don't know that a capped freeway would be a good idea. You are just starting to head downhill, into the interchange with US-131, and suddenly everything goes black.

If anyone has driven the transition between the Kennedy and the Dan Ryan in Chicago, just west of the Loop, where they have that long tunnel, knows what I am talking about.

That's not all that surprising with all the developments going on up there right now. I know that's where I'd be looking for investment property right now.

I did get a notice on my door a few months back that a real estate investment group was looking to buy houses in my neighborhood. I'm in the Fulton Heights neighborhood, and one of the reasons i chose to live here was because of the proximity to downtown. I hope speculators are interested in my area because that means I'm not the only one who thinks it's a good place and land values will hopefully go up.

Actually......no. I used to work for the firm that planned the 696 corridor east of the Lodge to 75. The planning studies were all done in the late 60's.

The reason that the freeway is capped on 696 was that when it was planned the freeway was going to divide a community that had a large population of orthodox Jews (if I remember properly). According to their religion they needed to walk to their temple. The freeway was going to make this impossible.

After much political wrangling and negotiation it was agreed that these green spaces capping the freeway would be built to allow them walking access. A massive amount of time and money went into the negotiation, design, and construction of these green spaces.

Approximately a year after the green spaces were installed over the freeway the temple closed up rendering them obsolete.

Archived