Jane Fonda needs to shut the f' up

MadVlad

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What groups? I'm not familiar with any. The closest thing I know of to this was Fonda's handful of broadcasts on North Vietnamese radio, asking US troops to consider the consequences of their actions and referring to the political and military leadership as war criminals. Considering that the military was actively involved in war crimes, and was almost certainly keeping that fact from most of the soldiers, Fonda's broadcasts of the truth were reasonable, and hurt no one.

You have to be kidding me. If you actually read your own link to Snopes, you'd see that most of what you just said is false. So let's go with your premise that Snopes is right about everything. We take out the bogus note story, and add the fact that she called returning war heroes hypocrits and liars, mixed naivety and stupidity saying the prisoners weren't tortured or starved, and put out treasonous propaganda over North Vietnamese airwaves. Tokyo Rose was convicted of the same type of actions during World War I. Read your own link. Nixon was in no position to prosecute her. Her apologies were disingenuous, self-serving, and timed upon the release of movies, books, or both. I repeat, read your own link. POW's were harmed directly because of her actions. The group she started was FTA, Free the Army, or F*** the Army.

She needs to STFU, she's done enough damage to this country, the Anti-War demonstrators don't need her, she drags the legitimacy of their cause down.

And you have got to be kidding me. You sit here castigating Jane Fonda, but readily admit she has not been charged with crime and offer your "opinion" as fact that she did something wrong. Calling her a bratty kid is just petty name calling and honestly makes you look bad, not her. And you are completely and absolutely barking up the wrong tree if you think that Jane Fonda had anything to do with the bad moral in Vietnam. Most of the solders that went there were drafted into service and forced to go and fight that senseless war. It it wasn't for War Protesters like Jane Fonda, a lot more would have been sent over there to die in that useless war.

And yes Iraq is just like Vietnam. My hat is off to Jane Fonda for making the comparison and hopefully it will cause this mostly self-absorbed generation to actually wake up and force their politicians to end it.

You might want to do some fact-checking before you make such claims. Here's an about.com article on Fonda's actions. Here's another from Snopes. Now you've seen the stories refuted. Sure, some of Fonda's actions were questionable, but not one person was harmed by her "horrible" actions. POWs were indeed beaten for refusing to meet with Fonda, but that was not her doing. She was wrong when she accused POWs of lying about torture, but she had no way of knowing at the time that the few POWs she met were coerced into telling her they were being treated humanely. That makes her gullible, perhaps, but not a traitor.

She has apologised for those photographs repeatedly and profusely. She was out of line, but the rest of her actions were a justifiable opposition to war crimes being committed by our government. The anti-aircraft gun incident was completely irrelevent to the purpose of her trip.

If Fonda's actions were so horrible, why hasn't she been charged with a single crime?

I think it is being a bit presumptuous for you to compare your complaints here on UrbanPlanet to someone that took a personal and not very popular stand to end war. It was you after all that is passing off your judgement as fact that she is doing harm In the mean time anyone that would speak out against the carnage in iraq is to be admired. Let's say this again, her motivitation was to end war and she was admired greatly for doing so. Save you contempt for "rich brats with money" for someone like Paris Hilton who probably doesn't even know there is a war.

Last time I check the first amendment applied to every citizen in this country including Jane Fonda and you are off base by saying she doesn't have a right to do so.

She is still famous enough to warrant national headline news and a thread devoted to her on UrbanPlanet. The fact that you don't know who she is isn't a guage on how well known she is. Next time, why don't you try to add something to a thread instead of informing us of your ignorance on a certain subject. I would hope with the resources of the internet that we have now that knowledge is just a few clicks away.

Well, actually, i did look up some info on her. And, she hasnt won a golden globe since 1978 and hasnt won an emmy since 1985 and has only been in one movie in my entire lifetime. If not noing about Jane Fonda makes me ignorant, then i guess i am a complete idiot. But, last time i checked, knowing about old movie stars doesnt really get me anywhere in life, and i have better things to learn about.

Well, actually, i did look up some info on her. And, she hasnt won a golden globe since 1978 and hasnt won an emmy since 1985 and has only been in one movie in my entire lifetime. If not noing about Jane Fonda makes me ignorant, then i guess i am a complete idiot. But, last time i checked, knowing about old movie stars doesnt really get me anywhere in life, and i have better things to learn about.

I don't think she is much more educated than your average lemming. Her celebrity status makes her a famous lemming. And here's another jewel from her past, in fact, I think it might become my signature...

"If you understood what communism was, you would hope, you would pray on your knees that we would some day become communist." -Jane Fonda, Nov 21st 1970 (hours after I was born), University of Michigan.

I don't think she was preaching to anybody. She was protesting the war in Iraq. If you are truly against this war, then I would think that now that you know her credentials you ought to be happy she is out speaking out against it. You jumped into this thread seeking to discredit her simply because to someone your age, she is irrelevant. That's fine, but don't expect it to matter to the rest of us who know better.

It's that attitude that caused people to ignore the lessons learnt from Vietnam (or even be ignorant of them). If they had bothered to look back at that disaster then most likely the population today would not have been so willing to go into Iraq and blow the place up. Now that we have done that, those lessons have come back to haunt the USA, and Jane Fonda is more than correct to speak out against it.

Personally I appreciate Jane Fonda's anti Iraq War efforts.

Jane seems to be a person of extremes. Her actions during the Vietnam War were somewhat extreme in some ways. History will eventually judge if what she did was right or wrong.

Now later in life she is at another extreme---she claims to be a born again christian. When I first read about it, I was quite surprised. I just can't picture Jane being religious.

For people that have never heard of Jane Fonda, or people who think she is irrelevant, trying renting the film "Klute". A true masterpiece of acting, and once you've seen the film, you'll forever remember Jane Fonda.

Trust me, you won't find me defending Rummy in any way shape or form.

Now who's using their personal opinion to establish fact? It's YOUR opinion that she has a basis to speak out, it's my opinion that due to her past transgressions she has no basis to speak out, because she sounds like a fool, despite the content of her message.

Archived