What is up with the Pyramid?

tnse

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of wasting a landmark building like the Pyramid and letting it turn into a large bait shop, I think the city/county should keep paying on it until its paid off. In the meantime they could donate it to the Wonders people in hopes of getting them back up and running and let them use the remaining space as they see fit. I'm sure they could find something interesting and culturally satisfying to occupy the other space of the building.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Here's an article from the CA

http://commercialappeal.com/mca/business/a...5656586,00.html

It's about time the city showed some effort to have a plan B I like the idea of an indoor theme park. May only question is that enough to make it a entertainment complex? Greg Ericson should try and partner with Ripley's Believe It Or Not! they have a host of attractions 1) Moving 3-D theater,2) Guiness world records,3) Aquarium,4) Louis Tussauds wax museum. This would make for a great partnership along with a luxury hotel Like the proposed Kimpton Hotel or the W-Aloft along with retail shops and restaurants ie Rainforest Cafe etc. and a 600 space parking garage

This would be the anchor for the redevelopment of the pinch district. :yahoo:

That would be better than the Pyramid sitting empty, but I would rather have something more refined and unique to the city. I don't want to be Gatlinburg. There's so much culture and history around here, I'm sure someone creative could come up with a way to capture it.

Well considering that there are no major theme parks in America based around solely the ancient Egypt legacy and theme, why not do that for a theme park in the Pyramid? If they asked Disney, I bet they would be interested in a partnership since MGM is building a theme park in Southaven. Disney might even pay the remaining cost on the pyramid too. And Disney in Orlando just opened up a new biblical attraction down there called The Holy land Experience and it's getting rave reviews. it's not an amusement park, but a theme park that tells the story of the Bible with reenactments and exhibits and has a museum. The people dress as they did back in the biblical times. Something like this with an egyptian theme would be a major tourist attraction for Memphis and downtown and the rest of the city along with the new plans for Graceland and the new MGM park. This could really help to boost the city's economy.

They could do this for ancient Egypt which in my personal opinion has as much of a cultural following than the Bible does. King Tut is so popular still today worldwide. And there is a motion picture about King Tut in the making now and expected to come out either next year or 2009. This would be a great marketing tool to promote that movie.

Just an example of what I am talking about. The Pyramid could be the base of the attraction. Inside would be replica models of ancient times such as King Tut's tomb, and the valley of the Kings. A riverboat ride through the Nile. Maybe another ride attraction included. There would be people dressed as ancient Egyptian characters such as Tut, Nefertiti, and Cleopatra and others. Outside of the Pyramid would be the recreated Thebes of Memphis Egypt which everyone passing by the Pyramid would see this as a small city replica. Next to the Pyramid where the highway crosses the river, there would be a hotel shaped as the Sphynx.

This IMPO would be the ideal way to go instead of turning such an unique facility like the Pyramid into a bass shop. I keep hoping that the BPS falls through and plan B becomes the next step. :)

Well considering that there are no major theme parks in America based around solely the ancient Egypt legacy and theme, why not do that for a theme park in the Pyramid? If they asked Disney, I bet they would be interested in a partnership since MGM is building a theme park in Southaven. Disney might even pay the remaining cost on the pyramid too. And Disney in Orlando just opened up a new biblical attraction down there called The Holy land Experience and it's getting rave reviews. it's not an amusement park, but a theme park that tells the story of the Bible with reenactments and exhibits and has a museum. The people dress as they did back in the biblical times. Something like this with an egyptian theme would be a major tourist attraction for Memphis and downtown and the rest of the city along with the new plans for Graceland and the new MGM park. This could really help to boost the city's economy.

They could do this for ancient Egypt which in my personal opinion has as much of a cultural following than the Bible does. King Tut is so popular still today worldwide. And there is a motion picture about King Tut in the making now and expected to come out either next year or 2009. This would be a great marketing tool to promote that movie.

Just an example of what I am talking about. The Pyramid could be the base of the attraction. Inside would be replica models of ancient times such as King Tut's tomb, and the valley of the Kings. A riverboat ride through the Nile. Maybe another ride attraction included. There would be people dressed as ancient Egyptian characters such as Tut, Nefertiti, and Cleopatra and others. Outside of the Pyramid would be the recreated Thebes of Memphis Egypt which everyone passing by the Pyramid would see this as a small city replica. Next to the Pyramid where the highway crosses the river, there would be a hotel shaped as the Sphynx.

This IMPO would be the ideal way to go instead of turning such an unique facility like the Pyramid into a bass shop. I keep hoping that the BPS falls through and plan B becomes the next step. :)

I think Memphis ought to do something to connect with ancient Egypt. That's why the pyramid fits perfect with an Egyptian theme park. After all the city is named after the Egyptian capital. That's why a Egyptian theme park would work better in Memphis than any other city in this country. They wouldn't have to build a pyramid because the shell would already be there. All they would have to do is redevelop the interior. That whole area could become a mini Disney-Egypt world and draw in 10 times more visitors yearly than BPS will ever dream of. Memphis needs to start setting its sights on the bigger picture and stop passing up golden opportunities. Now is the time to start and start with the Pyramid.

I think Memphis ought to do something to connect with ancient Egypt. That's why the pyramid fits perfect with an Egyptian theme park. After all the city is named after the Egyptian capital. That's why a Egyptian theme park would work better in Memphis than any other city in this country. They wouldn't have to build a pyramid because the shell would already be there. All they would have to do is redevelop the interior. That whole area could become a mini Disney-Egypt world and draw in 10 times more visitors yearly than BPS will ever dream of. Memphis needs to start setting its sights on the bigger picture and stop passing up golden opportunities. Now is the time to start and start with the Pyramid.

According to the [email=http://commercialappeal.com/mca/business/article/0,1426,MCA_440_5663006,00.html]Commercial Appeal, Jan. 31, 2008 is the date that Bass Pro Shops will sign the lease to The Pyramid. Of course its not a sure thing but its something to shoot for. At the end of the article, it is stated that this project could include a hotel, aquarium, restaurants, traveling exhibits, conference space, museum and boat showroom. Interesting.

According to the [email=http://commercialappeal.com/mca/business/article/0,1426,MCA_440_5663006,00.html]Commercial Appeal, Jan. 31, 2008 is the date that Bass Pro Shops will sign the lease to The Pyramid. Of course its not a sure thing but its something to shoot for. At the end of the article, it is stated that this project could include a hotel, aquarium, restaurants, traveling exhibits, conference space, museum and boat showroom. Interesting.

^ I agree. Such an iconic building with an ideal location deserves better proposals. It almost sounds like the man was just calling out proposals without much thought behind it. Its frustrating to see this gem hollow so early. But I have a mental block as to what would be a successful operation for the building.

^That sounds good to me too...but...I can see how that would incredibly expensive. Replacing the shell of the building with glass? Yikes.

While BassPro may not be the best option in a perfect world, I really think there's no other feasible alternative for the building. Not until the cost of land quadruples, at least.

And Lipscomb should be given some credit...at least the Pyramid hasn't been sold to a megachurch...

^That sounds good to me too...but...I can see how that would incredibly expensive. Replacing the shell of the building with glass? Yikes.

While BassPro may not be the best option in a perfect world, I really think there's no other feasible alternative for the building. Not until the cost of land quadruples, at least.

And Lipscomb should be given some credit...at least the Pyramid hasn't been sold to a megachurch...

Archived