What is up with the Pyramid?

tnse

The rendering does so the potential of the Ericson development. I was wary of the smaller pyramid hotels aspect, but upon seeing them in the rendering I think they are actually quite a good addition to the project.

It is interesting the CA finally got BPS to talk about their project now that a serious competitor is in the mix. I would not be suprised if they actually move on getting this done if they are actually going to do follow through on their letter of intent, otherwise I see them bailing out for lack of city support or some other contrived reason before the city boots them.

I supported the BPS as the best option when their were no better alternatives, but now Memphis has a good or better alternative - so either they need move forward or move out of the way for Ericson can do so. I am proud of Memphis's city government for taking the time to try to redevelop this site with the best option possible, and it is paying off with two very solid proposals for the site who now will have to compete with one another for the site if they really want it. Competition always leads to better results.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to be a party pooper :fun: , but I just noticed that the hotel on Mud Island would kind of block the grand views of the Hernando Desoto Bridge and since the hotel would be around the same height, it would sort of degrade the size of the bridge. I think if it was postioned on the north side of the bridge it would look allright. I don't want to be like a Waterford Plaza resident, but thats my favorite bridge in the world.

I was waiting to see some renderings of the proposal. Words can not express how much I want this project to happen. Can you imagine the impact this would have on tourism?

Just think a major indoor theme park, a 200,000 SF shopping plaza, a maritime museum that could possibly feature the Delta Queen when it retires and not to mention the # of conventions & shows we could host with the addition of 3 hotels and a revamped indoor ampitheater. I think that this encompasses all the things to make this a top tier redevelopment. If Mr. Ericson has secured the financing and will present hard numbers to the city council, county commission, and Mayor, the only response should be were do we sign!

The theme park was a good idea for the pyramid to begin with comparred to just a large bait store. But after seeing what it will look like with the additions, I am even more impressed. If I'm not mistaken this would be the first arena-turned-indoor theme park in the world! Possibly the largest indoor park as well. That alone will be easy to market. Here's the official website for Pyramid Park Adventure. http://www.ericsongroup.com/pyramid/main.htm

The 8-3 vote was a good sign the commission wants BPS to either move or lose its letter. There is no reason to give it an extension they should know whether or not by now if they are going to actually move forward with any plans for the property. As it stands now, if Ericson truly does have the financing secured, BPS is blocking a viable alternative means to get the debt on the Pyramid paid off, the building on the tax rolls, and the structure put back to good use.

The 8-3 vote was a good sign the commission wants BPS to either move or lose its letter. There is no reason to give it an extension they should know whether or not by now if they are going to actually move forward with any plans for the property. As it stands now, if Ericson truly does have the financing secured, BPS is blocking a viable alternative means to get the debt on the Pyramid paid off, the building on the tax rolls, and the structure put back to good use.

It looks like either an aquarium or water park is in the plans. Wow! But both would be nice to have if possible. I see the hotel is subject to change and if it's not going to be a hotel on Mud Island than it says the Zippin' pippin'. Here's a suggestion, why not put a 400 foot ferris wheel on the island like Coney Island has. Maybe build a boardwalk extension from the island. there's a world of possibilities for that area. I am loving the Pyramid Park Plaza look as well. :thumbsup:

I have no idea how practical this would be, or even if the site would allow for it, but I've always liked the idea of a small to medium sized stadium at the tip of Mud Island. It could be used primarily for high school football in the fall and soccer/track and field in the spring and summer. You could schedule rivalry games throughout the season with the teams splitting the gate. You could also field a city championship and playoff games there. I like the idea of the teams, bands, and fans starting at City Hall plaza and processing to the field. You could have a midway of food vendors with a fair-like atmosphere. The setting would be beautiful and would perhaps get people downtown who might otherwise not go.

Again, it's probably not all that practical an idea, but I certainly like it.

I have no idea how practical this would be, or even if the site would allow for it, but I've always liked the idea of a small to medium sized stadium at the tip of Mud Island. It could be used primarily for high school football in the fall and soccer/track and field in the spring and summer. You could schedule rivalry games throughout the season with the teams splitting the gate. You could also field a city championship and playoff games there. I like the idea of the teams, bands, and fans starting at City Hall plaza and processing to the field. You could have a midway of food vendors with a fair-like atmosphere. The setting would be beautiful and would perhaps get people downtown who might otherwise not go.

Again, it's probably not all that practical an idea, but I certainly like it.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...-cast-lot-here/

Looks like the Pyramid will indeed become a bait shop given the Memphis government's infatuation with BPS. Was the Ericson plan just used to gain leverage? Or can any other piece of that plan be used and would those developers and investors find it worth it if the Pyramid is taken by BPS? The attractive part of the Ericson plan was is was more extensive and comprehensive than just the Pyramid itself.

By the way, the City Council and County Commission get a free trip to Springfield.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...-cast-lot-here/

Looks like the Pyramid will indeed become a bait shop given the Memphis government's infatuation with BPS. Was the Ericson plan just used to gain leverage? Or can any other piece of that plan be used and would those developers and investors find it worth it if the Pyramid is taken by BPS? The attractive part of the Ericson plan was is was more extensive and comprehensive than just the Pyramid itself.

By the way, the City Council and County Commission get a free trip to Springfield.

Archived