Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoogit

the 2007 Urban Planet GR predictions thread

15 posts in this topic

The press has already done it, and we had a similar thread last year, so I thought to make a new one for 2007.

So without further ado my predictions:

Retail:

• Meijer will continue to grow, but this year we will see not new stores in Grand Rapids (although outside of GR most assuredly), but many more announcements of renovations of existing stores, already on the way is Alpine, and Plainfield. In 2007 we will see the 54th St, and the 28th at Kalamazoo stores get their treatment.

• The Village on East Beltline (Whatever thats going to be called) will hit a snag, as the Walker development makes increasing inroads into luring high-end retailers, doubt will pop up that the project will never get off the ground.

• Downtown GR will get some serious looking by a national retailer to occupy the Van Hoek's shoe storefront.

• The Downtown Theatre deal will die.

Manufacturing:

• Steelcase and Herman Miller will get major gains this year.

• An Asian car maker will make a big announcement concerning the area.

• Companies that specialize in house renovating materials (like cabinet makers, and such) will experience growth.

Housing:

• Still a bad year to be in house construction. More and more suburban homes will go on the market, and wont be sold.

• Spec houses will be non existent this year, all new construction will be live-in ready.

• Grand Rapids proper will experience a gain in population.

• Apartments will be built at a higher percentage then normal.

Civic Development:

• Details emerge for a new Performing Arts Center, co-funded by Meijer and the Gainey Corporation.

• The first details of a streetcar (BRT or Rail) system are revealed.

• Wealthy, Commerce, and Grandville Avenues get projects announced on their reconstruction.

• I-196 expansion details emerge.

My long shot: An overpass that covers I 196 between Coit and Lafayette will be proposed and accepted.

Tower Cranes:

[*]Four new cranes will emerge in 2007, SSC's Fulton @ Division, the one for Tall House on Ionia, the crane for the Children's hospital, and of course River House.

[*]One project will be announced in 2007 that will require a crane.

My long shot: There will be a 500ft office tower announced in GR.

Miscellaneous long shots:

[*]The Keeler building finds a tenant

[*]Grand Rapids moves to a full-time mayor role

[*]The USPS mail center will announce it will move out to the airport

[*]GRR announces a low fare carrier has purchased gates and will be providing service in 2008

[*]Continued talks between Wyoming, Walker, Kentwood, and Grand Rapids on governmental consolidation.

[*]Dwayne Faust makes a reappearance.

Snoogit, nice list, I appreciate the time and thought put into the thoroughness of your list.

I hope in addition to some national retail being add to the Van Hoek's empty store, that the former River Bank books sees some prominent retail as well.

Nice list snoogit. I hope to see some of those long shots happen.

It will be fun to look at this thread in 08 and see what happened.

I don't think I would call Duane Faust's 'reappearance' as a long shot. He should be making an appearance in a month.

I don't think I would call Duane Faust's 'reappearance' as a long shot. He should be making an appearance in a month.

And how do you know this? He seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Housing:

• Still a bad year to be in house construction. More and more suburban homes will go on the market, and wont be sold.

• Spec houses will be non existent this year, all new construction will be live-in ready.

I bet a quarter that the "Artesian Group" (Belknap "investors") tanks and skulks back to Chicago, with property ownership reverting to current residents.

They're not from Chicago. The owner they mentioned in the article is a real estate agent based in the Cascade area.

I'm not sure on the Tall House proposal. That's been quiet for a while.

The housing market will continue to slow down.

2006 will be known as the construction boom.

Tall house plans will stay on the table, but they will wait until 2008 to break ground.

Very few large scale projects will actually be approved, yet several will be in the works for 08.

MSU Medical school will continue to be a great success for Grand Rapids

St. Mary's Hospital will expand at a rate much faster than they anticipated

Overall picture, I think that things in GR will slow way down for 07. Last year was amazing, but I don't think that we will see a repeat of it in 08. As it is, this time last year was full of promise of new developments, and it does not see that there is anything 'new' in the works.

GR needs to build much more hype. Here we are talking about possibilities and long shots... when we should be contacting the corporate offices of the types of business that we want to see in downtown.

We all love GR, and together with enough effort we can create far more excitement than any add campaign. Send out e-mails to CEO's and other people asking for them to locate in downtown. Compile a list of websites (including this one) to send them. Possibly even photos. It is not about getting recognition for being the one to bring a business to town, it is about the pride of knowing that you were able to make it happen, and that other people are able to enjoy the work that you have done.

It is time to act. Reality is without people taking part in Downtown, things don't happen. Let these corporations know how you feel about this great city, and lets get the energy going.

Thanks, and drive safe.

The housing market will continue to slow down.

2006 will be known as the construction boom.

Tall house plans will stay on the table, but they will wait until 2008 to break ground.

Very few large scale projects will actually be approved, yet several will be in the works for 08.

MSU Medical school will continue to be a great success for Grand Rapids

St. Mary's Hospital will expand at a rate much faster than they anticipated

Overall picture, I think that things in GR will slow way down for 07. Last year was amazing, but I don't think that we will see a repeat of it in 08. As it is, this time last year was full of promise of new developments, and it does not see that there is anything 'new' in the works.

GR needs to build much more hype. Here we are talking about possibilities and long shots... when we should be contacting the corporate offices of the types of business that we want to see in downtown.

We all love GR, and together with enough effort we can create far more excitement than any add campaign. Send out e-mails to CEO's and other people asking for them to locate in downtown. Compile a list of websites (including this one) to send them. Possibly even photos. It is not about getting recognition for being the one to bring a business to town, it is about the pride of knowing that you were able to make it happen, and that other people are able to enjoy the work that you have done.

It is time to act. Reality is without people taking part in Downtown, things don't happen. Let these corporations know how you feel about this great city, and lets get the energy going.

Thanks, and drive safe.

Let's see, for 2007:

Construction Work (2007 will be the year of the construction boom, with much more vertical construction than 2006)

Final designs and commencement of vertical construction on MSU's Med School, late 2007

Vertical construction on River House, concrete work complete to about 24th floor, glass curtain wall to 19

VAI Phase II major excavation work, maybe vertical by end of 2007

Exterior masonry and glass curtain wall on Lemmen Holton summer 2007

RDV/Christman tower II (middle of the three) vertical steel

Children's Hospital major excavation, foundation and possible vertical late 2007

JW Marriott Grand Opening Fall 2007!!

Women's Health Center vertical steel

Hauenstein Center major excavation and vertical late 2007

Hope Lodge exterior closed in

Douglas J opening, injecting a little more spirit into Commerce Ave

ICON on Bond Grand Opening late Spring/Summer

Ground-breaking for Fulton/Division, excavation/foundation work late 2007, early 2008

GRAM Grand Opening (to much praise)

Major renovation work on The Fitzgerald

Uptown Village Grand Opening

Broadway & 1st Townhomes changeup, details forthcoming

920 Cherry ICCF Grand Opening, ground-breaking on townhouses

Renovations finally underway to apartments on Commerce Ave at Cherry

Predictions

The localhousing market will see some modest gains later this year, but the national housing picture will get worse

No new high-rise condo project announcements this year

50 Monroe plans unveiled, finally

Announcement by Parkland Properties of another apartment project other than Sligh

10 - 15 story office building announcement in the core

Mixed use project announcement on the near West side

Beautique hotel announcement for either Monroe North or Heartside

Days Inn renovation plans unveiled

Riverwalk upgrades, to coincide with Marriott opening, announced

New project announcement on WAM site

Performing Arts Center announcement, construction 2008 or 09

Amphitheater study complete

Additional renovations to Amway Grand announced

Project announcement on the West bank of the Grand River, North of 196

More apartments announced for Heartside

BRT routes announced, some work to start by late 2007, (edit: probably 2008)

Streetcar route finalized and one major donor steps forward to kick off funding drive

edit: times up, hopefully some go-getters out there saw that post and will act on it.

and there will be at least one new announcement this year that will make us all go :w00t:

And a few other predictions that I'll keep to myself to protect the innocent. :shades:

2007 will be a much bigger year for GR than 2006 was. We photo-bugs will be busy.

I have to agree with Prankster. There have been quite a few small companies making the move to downtown, or expanding their space. It's much easier for them to get up and move than a large corporation. Hopefully, as buildings fill up, it will push the need for some new office space.

What corporations specifically would you have in mind? I would think that smaller office users like URS or Earth Tech would be the ones to target. Relocation for these types of users would be much less costly, and a lot easier to sell.

Housing:

My long shot: A builder out there somewhere starts construction on a spec house.