Developer proposes condos by Deluxe Inn

RustTown

This is nothing glitzy or glamorous, but 114 new condos on the extreme southend of downtown certainly is a good thing. I bet most Lansingites don't even know that Whitehall and Riverbend exist:

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS01/701280582

Hopefully, this will also mean the redevelopment of the trouble Delux Motel.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is nothing glitzy or glamorous, but 114 new condos on the extreme southend of downtown certainly is a good thing. I bet most Lansingites don't even know that Whitehall and Riverbend exist:

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS01/701280582

Hopefully, this will also mean the redevelopment of the trouble Delux Motel.

All the reader comments on LSJ.com regarding downtown Lansing are essentially about how Lansing isn't as good as Chicago. Or some other great, similarly sized, city that they can't seem to name.

One thing about the Deluxe Inn though, you have to remember that it is simply the most visible sign of the surrounding neighborhood, if you take away the deluxe the neighborhood is still bad. I do think that taking away the deluxe will however change perception enough to get many good things happening around there.

I'm not sure there is much of a functional use available for that location, other than a motel. It's location at the top of a hill and right next to a freeway makes it very pedestrian unfriendly, and there is not really much of a demand for a strip mall, considering there a many others in the area with open space. Something needs to be done though, it's a major between reotown and downtown.

I'm not sure there is much of a functional use available for that location, other than a motel. It's location at the top of a hill and right next to a freeway makes it very pedestrian unfriendly, and there is not really much of a demand for a strip mall, considering there a many others in the area with open space. Something needs to be done though, it's a major between reotown and downtown.

Whatever happens to the Delux Inn site must include groundfloor retail, even being off the freeway. At least, along the Washington frontage there needs to be retail to serve the new condo owners and the area to the south. What I worry about is that we're allowing all of these condos and apartments but the retail isn't following. And, particularly at the Whitehall and Riverbend there really isn't such thing as walkability. Everyone just gets in their cars and drives out of the city, anyway, for what they have to do.

Whatever happens to the Delux Inn site must include groundfloor retail, even being off the freeway. At least, along the Washington frontage there needs to be retail to serve the new condo owners and the area to the south. What I worry about is that we're allowing all of these condos and apartments but the retail isn't following. And, particularly at the Whitehall and Riverbend there really isn't such thing as walkability. Everyone just gets in their cars and drives out of the city, anyway, for what they have to do.

Just did some research on these.

Both Riverbend and Whitehall were constructed in 1966, and both have access to a dock/boat launch (you can see it from Riverpoint Park). Riverbend has slightly larger 2-bedroom apartments (by 100 square feet). They are marketed heavily towards Cooley students.

Websites:

Riverbend - http://www.apartmentsforcooley.com/riverbend/index.html

Whitehall - http://www.apartmentsforcooley.com/whitehall/index.html

This is still strange, to me, considering how non-descript they are, but it's great news.

Archived