Charlotte CCV Network(s)

monsoon

I've been noticing that lately there are a large number of CCVs being installed all over the city. Anybody know the reason for this, who is running them, who can tune in, what are they looking at, and specific locations. I was attending an event in Myers Park this weekend and even saw a few installed over there.

Note CCV = Closed Circuit Video.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are these cameras going? I haven't seen them.

In general, I have the European view of these. If it is public enough to happen or be seen in public, then it is public enough to be recorded by a camera. I think in this country, we tend to like to play games with Truth, (like you didn't do something bad unless you're caught), so aversion to cameras are a part of it.

I personally am against cameras all over. I agree that they can assist in arresting the criminals, but I don't like being viewed by just anyone. (The Government especially). I guess if I don't like it I could head for the hills. Too sad that society is being "watched" every fregging moment. I thought this was America. :unsure:

A2

I would say they are being used to change the timing of traffic signals when it is warranted (wreck, grid lock, etc.). I know they are used at the intersections surrounding I-77's north meck exits for that reason. I'd assume the same is becoming true all over the area?

I personally am against cameras all over. I agree that they can assist in arresting the criminals, but I don't like being viewed by just anyone. (The Government especially). I guess if I don't like it I could head for the hills. Too sad that society is being "watched" every fregging moment. I thought this was America. :unsure:

I for one would feel much safer if we had the camera network like London does. Unless you're doing something wrong there really shouldn't be an issue with you being taped by law enforcement. If I parked my car on the street and had a camera with a view of my car I would feel very safe in leaving it, but I don't think I could leave my car on a street that didn't have such a camera. For this reason I always try to park in a parking deck in a spot that has a direct view of the security cameras. If you know you're being watched you're less likely to break the law IMO.

Archived