Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

twoshort

Finishing a basement

17 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of finishing a 12x12 room and a hallway in my basement to add a much needed extra bedroom. I have a few questions and maybe y'all can help.

One, what is the city of Grand Rapids requirement for an egress window as far as size goes?

Second, an area on the other end of the basement can get a bit damp when it rains too hard (the people who renovated our 100+ year old house bricked in an old basement access door and it seeps a bit through the cinder blocks and the surrounding foundation). Any moisture heads toward an old drain in the floor near by, so it's not been a big deal to us. While I plan to leave that area unfinished and there will be probably 6-7 feet of unfinished floor before any framing starts, should I be concerned how it will effect my finished area? I realize that the BEST idea would be to water proof it, but it's a very old house and the foundation walls aren't smooth my any sense of the imagination (it looks like rocks and cement mixed together) and I wouldn't know how to go about doing it. Every other area except that one section is bone dry year-round.

One, what is the city of Grand Rapids requirement for an egress window as far as size goes?

Keep the water out of your house!! You have a hydrostatic pressue issue of water being forced through the foundation from the outside. Where do your gutters drain? Keep them as far away from the house as possible. You may have to dig down along the foundation and replace the soil with pea gravel. The gravel acts as a capilary break and keeps the water from pushing in the house.

Hmm. The egress windows in my basement certainly don't meet that requirement, but my house was listed on GRAR as a 3 bedroom house. Only 2 of my bedrooms are on the main floor. I thought they couldn't actually list it as a 3 bedroom house if they didn't all meet code. Could it have been grandfathered in or was it simply a mistake/misrepresentation on the part of the selling agent?

The State of Michigan Residential building code says.............Minimum opening of 5.7 sq. ft. Minimum opening height of 24" and Minimum width of 20". The window well needs to have an area of 9 sq. ft. (3'x3'). Walk up the drive way at 215/217 James Ave. and look at the whole set up on the side of the house.

Keep the water out of your house!! You have a hydrostatic pressue issue of water being forced through the foundation from the outside. Where do your gutters drain? Keep them as far away from the house as possible. You may have to dig down along the foundation and replace the soil with pea gravel. The gravel acts as a capilary break and keeps the water from pushing in the house.

Hmm. The egress windows in my basement certainly don't meet that requirement, but my house was listed on GRAR as a 3 bedroom house. Only 2 of my bedrooms are on the main floor. I thought they couldn't actually list it as a 3 bedroom house if they didn't all meet code. Could it have been grandfathered in or was it simply a mistake/misrepresentation on the part of the selling agent?

The latter.

As I understand it, once a CO has been issued, you could do just about anything you want to the interior. City doesn't oversee MLS listings.

Keep the water out of your house!! You have a hydrostatic pressue issue of water being forced through the foundation from the outside.

...As for the GRAR thing, there's currently a house on Ottillia that is listed as a four bed two bath. My buddy went to the open house and reported that it has two bedrooms on the main floor, an unfinished attic that COULD be a bedroom, and a room in the basement w/ an egress that COULD be a bedroom.

No gutter, It's at the top of the list for springtime. Digging a trench isn't something I look forward to doing, but I thought that would be the suggestion I got :). And thanks for the egress information.

The latter.

As I understand it, once a CO has been issued, you could do just about anything you want to the interior. City doesn't oversee MLS listings.

Can anyone PM a referral for a contractor who does this sort of thing? I don't know where to start.

We prefer that you don't use the forum to solicit for people to work on your house. It only attracts spammers that we have to deal with.

I'm thinking of finishing a 12x12 room and a hallway in my basement to add a much needed extra bedroom. I have a few questions and maybe y'all can help.

Second, an area on the other end of the basement can get a bit damp when it rains too hard (the people who renovated our 100+ year old house bricked in an old basement access door and it seeps a bit through the cinder blocks and the surrounding foundation). Any moisture heads toward an old drain in the floor near by, so it's not been a big deal to us. While I plan to leave that area unfinished and there will be probably 6-7 feet of unfinished floor before any framing starts, should I be concerned how it will effect my finished area? I realize that the BEST idea would be to water proof it, but it's a very old house and the foundation walls aren't smooth my any sense of the imagination (it looks like rocks and cement mixed together) and I wouldn't know how to go about doing it. Every other area except that one section is bone dry year-round.