Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smeagolsfree

HG Hill @ Viridian close to opening

19 posts in this topic

Wow they read my mind. While on the way into work I was wondering when it was opening.

Great news.

I think Giarratana is making a really smart move in offering the space for the grocery store to H. G. Hill rent free for five years. I wonder if we would even have a grocery store opening downtown at all without that concession. And with the opening of this store, it makes living downtown more convenient and attractive, and makes Tony G.'s projects more attractive as well. I think all the developers downtown owe Tony G. a debt of gratitude.

^ I agree that was a great move on Tony G's part. I'm sure that was a great enticement to land HG Hill to commit to the project. This is going to be great for downtown's future residential development.

Just drove through downtown on the way home from a Super Bowl party and the sign is up on Church for the grocery. Bob and I watched the workers fighting the wind to install it after the meet.

The coverings are off the doors and the place looks ready for opening day. It's as nice looking as I expected it to be. You bet I'll be down there this week checking the place out. Its appearance gives me this "I can't be in downtown Nashville, can I?" kind of feeling.

This place looks great. I love the fact that this grocery isn't on the fringe of downtown, but on perhaps our most urban, tower-laden intersections. Smack downtown, no other way to put it. Great.

Wow...read the first comment...it's really bad. I just want to smack that guy.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this. Not that I'll be using it, but it's great that it's there.

There is also a new coffee shop going in the base of L&C, where there used to be a print shop:

http://www.dunnbros.com/

It will be nice to have some competition for the world's most claustrophic Starbucks.

I'd like to see American Ace come back into the Nashville Coffee Scene. I remember growing up and watching those commercials filmed at Opryland Hotel that said "If you can't have your American Ace - you might as well go back to bed" - or something similar. Someone needs to jumpstart that brand and open some coffee huts like Community Coffee's "CC's" in New Orleans. Just a thought. There would be some prime opportunities coming up in downtown for someone to do this.

The store is very nice. Quite a variety of products for a small space. The butcher counter is impressive.

ditto barakat's thoughts, I was impressed with how much they could get into that small a space. And believe me it is not a normal H.G. Hills!

I visited the store today and was quite impressed. It was very busy (although i would guess most people were just checking it out) especially the lunch counter. I took a few pics, sorry for the quality but I use a "point-and-shoot".

I think even suburbanites would be impressed with this store....quite a selection!

The sign

buildings001.jpg

Entrance.

buildings006.jpg

Mmmmmmm......Beeeeeer!

buildings002.jpg

Nice selection of fresh fruits and veggies.

buildings003.jpg

A bad picture of the luch area, but you get the idea...

buildings004.jpg

So, i hope you like the pics in my frst photo thread. Sorry the quality is a little sub-par, I just really wanted to do one.

Great job and thanks for the glimpse inside. Now I have to go down and check this out myself.

Does any one know what their hours are????

I'm not sure of the hours, but I believe they open at 7, close at 8 p.m. They have pretty good weekend hours too, just not sure what they are. Plenty of shopping time though.

I did a little shopping tonight and had my "First Night of Downtown Grocery Shopping" dinner. Of course, I had to haul it home, but I got a little goosebumply over the whole experience. I was there about 6 and the place was busy, lots of people on the streets heading home with groceries. I agree that it's an amazing selection for a small space. I was quite impressed. Don't expect lower prices, you won't find them, but if you were living a couple of hundred feet over the grocery store, the convenience would be worth a little extra.

I'll have to go back and so some damage to the meat counter. Quite impressive.

A nice field trip to be repeated many times from now on. I can see an Urban Planet Squad raiding the place around the first weekend in March.

That sign is Awesome!! It looks so classic and cool, and makes the thing even neater to me.

The store itself was very "newyorkish", if that's a word. A good market, with fresh goods, and food cooked to order.....if that makes any sense.

I'm glad that the first store in downtown is a Nashville-based operation. Nothing against Kroger or Publix but this type of establishment keeps Nashville a little more "authentic" than say a Harris-Teeter would. Now if we could just get Castner-Knott back....

Did a little shopping for dinner myself. I stopped in around 5:40 to get a few things for dinner. I pickup the Mrs. every day from work downtown at 6:00 so I decided to hit the store before I grabbed her and hit the road. I found the prices to be no more pain on my wallet then shopping at Publix.

The store had an awsome feel and nice selection. There was a little bit of everything. Staff was very nice and the traffic inside was great. I'll be stopping in often to take care of shopping rather than waiting in the car for my wife to get off work.