Nashville officials trget China for Trade

smeagolsfree

With all of the Japanese investment in MD TN, this is a very smart move. We are moving to a global economy. I would expect to see a lot of good come from this mission. A very effective way to grow business that is already here and help grow those businesses even more with a strong presence in the Far East. Nashville is going to be even more of an international city in the ten years. I guess we need to get use to the fact that we are not a small southern, back woods city known for just country music. Nashville and the State are moving headlong into the global community rather than letting the world pass us by.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?se...p;news_id=54312

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gentleman, we have a leg up on most communities our size. We already have that direct link to China that many cities our size would die to have.

Remember...............

original.jpg

China Airlines doesn't just do business with Dell here in the midstate.

It's hard to really appreciate just how big that 747 is until you look at it in comparison to the Ford minivan in front of it. We've come a long way since the AA hub opened in the 1980's. This time, we don't have all our eggs in one basket.

One thing about that China Air 747 is that if I am not mistaking is Taiwan and not Mainland China. Lexy correct me if I am wrong about that. On the subject of the 747. Do they use the Fed Ex facility there or is there more of a partnership between Fed Ex and China Air than we see? I was talking to some DHL pilots and they thought that 747 was in a way part of Fed Ex.

Does anyone know if there are programs in Nashville or related school systems for children to learn Mandarin Chinese? The reason that I ask is that China recently sent a delegation to Chicago to meet with Mayor Daley and made a big investment to increase learning about China among student populations here. I was discussing this with a colleague at work who informed me that her son attends one of the public elementary schools in the city is already taking Mandarin Chinese in the 1st or 2nd grade and that the program will be expanded all the way through high school. Does anything like that exist in Middle Tennessee? If not, it might be a neat idea.

Hume-Fogg offered Chinese for the first time starting last year I believe. I'm not sure how it went or what the current status is, but I know it gained a lot of interest and they had hired a teacher.

I think it's great that Chicago is providing foreign language at such a young age. While it's certainly possible to learn more languages at high school and post-high school ages, much data indicates that young children are more attuned to picking up language easily. The United States is way behind the curve in this area. Most other industrialized nations teach foreign languages, particularly English and French, beginning when children are elementary school age through high school. Of course, being the biggest and the baddest, we figure everyone will speak our language, of course. But with the economic explosions occurring in China and India, young Americans with knowledge in those languages will be the well-placed to take advantage of whatever opportunities may come along.

And the military/intelligence services could sure use some Arabic speakers right about now, not to mention Farsi and related languages of Afghanistan.

One thing about that China Air 747 is that if I am not mistaking is Taiwan and not Mainland China. Lexy correct me if I am wrong about that. On the subject of the 747. Do they use the Fed Ex facility there or is there more of a partnership between Fed Ex and China Air than we see? I was talking to some DHL pilots and they thought that 747 was in a way part of Fed Ex.

Archived