Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hauntedheadnc

State buys Chimney Rock Park!

16 posts in this topic

Here's the link, which I just now saw in the Asheville Citizen-Times

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ID=200770129015

This is wonderful news! Chimney Rock Park is of incalculable value in terms of its unique geology and plantlife, the waterfalls, and its history. Best of all, it's just the crown jewel -- we've got the crown in Hickory Nut Gorge State Park! :yahoo:

Excellent...!!

Does Chimney Rock share a border with Hickory Nut Gorge State Park? Will this all be folded together into a single 2500 acre park? I wonder how the state will manage the attractions (what will they do about the entrance fee?) The trails and attractions at Chimney Rock are more developed than at most state parks, and would therefore cost more to maintain.

^^ I believe the land set aside for Hickory Nut Gorge SP is directly across 64 from Chimney Rock. Altough it has been has been some time since I've heard that so I could be mistaken.

That is good news and thanks for posting it. When I heard it was up for sale a few months ago, I was afraid the place would be sold to private developers and lined with McMansions. I am glad it is in the hands of the people now.

:yahoo:

This is such a relief. It had been rumored for months that Dollywood was very interested. I am glad that turned out to be just a rumor.

It is my understanding that it will be a contiguous park. I checked the State of NC website for a press release but nothing is there yet. Hopefully details will be forthcoming. My guess is that the admission price will come down. However I just renewed my annual pass for $20 during the December promo!

Some of the land around World's Edge that was recently acquired around the Henderson/Polk/Rutherford border is next to the back of Chimney Rock, and I think other parts are on the other side of the gorge.

Some of the land around World's Edge that was recently acquired around the Henderson/Polk/Rutherford border is next to the back of Chimney Rock, and I think other parts are on the other side of the gorge.

This might help. No idea about actual property lines, but gives an idea where the land is.

373745005_8b43be0e83_b.jpg

I was glad to hear about this development for Chimney Rock. I think that the family owned basicly all of that mountain and the land just around it. You can see the small road that scales that mountain to the right of the circle in the above map.

This is great! Another precious jewel of natural beauty that will be saved from the rampant sprawl occuring in our state!

:yahoo: