Columbia's housing market

CorgiMatt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In its current edition, Smart Money magazine, a subsidiary of the Wall Street Journal, has Columbia featured in an article that's highlighted on the cover called "Surprise: 25 housing markets set to rebound." I can't figure out how to read the article online because all I can pull up is a site from which you can subscribe to the mag, so I'm not providing a link to it here.

Unfortunately the Columbia region's home prices were down 9% in September compared to September 2008. The MSA continues to sell the most houses in the state for 2008, though.

I just talked to a customer today, a middle-aged/older gentleman, who's moving to Columbia from Miami. I remarked that that was quite a move, and he responded by saying that it simply makes sense economically. I suspect that cost, along with a relatively stable local economy, is what drives the health of Columbia's housing market first and foremost.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It's even more of a buyer's market now, but Builder magazine projects that Columbia's housing market, despite the fact that it didn't fall much in the first place, will have the 48th strongest recovery in the nation in 2010. They cite another expected "strong gain in population" (12,172 from 7/1/08 to 7/1/09 [uS Census Bureau]) as one reason why.

http://www.builderonline.com/local-markets/healthiest-housing-markets-for-2010-21-40.aspx

You are reading it correctly. I was wrong again. So, Columbia's housing market, even though it hasn't had the fall so many markets have had, is expected to be the 28th strongest-recovering in the nation this year. Thank you for pointing out that #28 in #'s 21 through 40 is #28.

• 3 weeks later...

The State has some statistics on how the housing market fared in Q1 of this year:

http://www.thestate.com/2010/04/20/1251408/home-sales-up-in-sc-down-in-midlands.html?RSS=local

Basically, home prices are up slightly, but home sales are down slightly in Columbia from last year, which isn't particularly unusual, given how stable we were through the recession.

• 4 months later...

I saw an article on Yahoo! about ten cities where you could buy a home for less than $800 a month. Columbia was one of the ten cities featured.

For some reason I thought that list would be dominated by cities Columbia's size and smaller, but Columbia was certainly in good company on that list, being named with cities like Austin, Columbus, OH, the Twin Cities, and Atlanta.

Archived