Downtown Raleigh Development Map

orulz

Here's a preview of what it looks like (nothing labeled yet - color coded by primary USE rather than STATUS)

Red = Residential

Purple = Transportation

Orange = Large-scale development plans

Blue = Office

Green = Retail

Yellow = Hospitality

Sky blue = Institutional

post-823-1170012516_thumb.jpg

It covers most everything I could think of back to 2000 or so, with the Cotton Mill, Park Devereaux, and 510 Glenwood. It's missing (for example) West at North, 630 North, Progress Energy III, the Empire / Wake Co parking deck-condo on Hargett, Person (Franklin?) Plaza... just noticed I forgot Gateway Park... and I'm sure there are plenty other omissions as well.

Anyone who wants this to take over, let me know! I'll send the .ai file your way. Everything is vector, properly labeled, etc, so if you have Illustrator you should be able to work on it (add developments, modify colors, add labels, etc) pretty easily.

post-823-1170012516_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Fantastic Job!

This clearly shows the amount of work done (and planned) in DownTown.

It also shows that there is a lot of surface parking that can (and will) be developed.

The map also shows that there isn't much new retail started. I suppose this shouldn't be too surprising, but hopefully when as the population rises, so will the retail options.

ok so here is an image of what I have been working on using Google Sketchup and Paint

downtownraleighwj6.th.png

The new developements (in blue) included are the new convention center, Marriott Hotel, Site 1, RBC tower, Reynolds Tower, the Nash, and Quorum Center. The buildings right now are just massing designs right now. I hope to update this image with the buildings at their respective heights and with detail. Feel free to offer constructive criticism.

ok so here is an image of what I have been working on using Google Sketchup and Paint

downtownraleighwj6.th.png

The new developements (in blue) included are the new convention center, Marriott Hotel, Site 1, RBC tower, Reynolds Tower, the Nash, and Quorum Center. The buildings right now are just massing designs right now. I hope to update this image with the buildings at their respective heights and with detail. Feel free to offer constructive criticism.

Thanks guys so far for your comments. Right now i am adding the Lafayette and the Wake Co. Courthouse. Does anyone know if the new courthouse is right next to the old one or is it caddycorner? I believe i saw a massing diagram with it right next to the old one, but just checking before i place it as well.

Jones133, i decided to take the money shot bc in fact, the Wake Forest Rd./I-440 intersection wouldn't show some of the buildings (aka Site 1-tower 2 and the Marriott). I dont know if that would be true, but I liked the generic postcard image for my first try. I love the gaps in the skyline because it adds some dramatics to and otherwise extremely dense cluster of boxes. I think the Reynolds Tower and Quorum will provide a catalyst for some great mid-rise to "low" high rise towers (like the oxymoron?). I think with the CAM tower and hopefully some other towers that area of town will be pretty dramatic.

The Shaw dorms would pull things to the right and the Reynolds are talking about another 15 story building immediately west of Reynolds Tower itself.....the of course has no timeline yet...

also, I think this rendering has some artistic merit...I know it is simple in appearance, and probably simple for you to do, but it still shows very well....I could see a series of these for skylines accross the US titled something Skyline Abstracts or something liek that....

Archived