It's Time To Remove the Confederate Battle Flag

tombarnes

Time to Remove the Confederate Battle Flag

I am usually the first to stand up for history. It's all very well and good to respect and honor the history of a place, but the retention of a symbol many view as divisive on the state flag is not going to help Mississippi as it makes its way out of a painful past. True enough, a majority of Mississippians voted to retain the St. Andrew's cross on the state flag in 2001, but it's time for another vote. The recent arrests of ex-klansmen in Mississippi show that the state is making progress to atone for its grim past. Why perpetuate the memory of the Confederacy with the inclusion of the battle flag on the state symbol? The past may be honored elsewhere. This is a chance for Mississippi to put its best face forward and get rid of the stars and bars of the lost Confederacy. History does deserve respect, but so do the many citizens of the state who wish for a more progressive symbol.

WAPT Channel 16 News- video

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's possible that the younger generation may well find that it's possible to live without the battle flag of the Confederacy. A new vote on the issue might produce different results- even if it were held today. At least I hope it would produce different results.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree. While the negative connotations of the symbol are unfortunate, the flag says that Mississippi is defiantly Southern, which is what I like about this poor, not-so-beautiful place. I don't want Mississippi to turn into Atlanta. Otherwise, I'd move to Atlanta. The American flag has negative connotations for a large number of people, but we're not going to change it. However, the state needs to take steps to show blacks that Mississippi is their state too, and I think the civil rights museum is an important step in that direction. Now if we could just get some decent schools for everyone.

^What most Southerners don't realize is the Battle Flag was not the official flag of the Confederacy. That flag looks quite different and if the desire is to honor the Confederacy then that is the flag that should be used. Unfortunately the Confederate Battle Flag was co-op'd by the Klu Klux Klan in the 1920s as their symbol and that became the Confederate flag that is incorrectly known in modern times. In the 1950s, many of the Southern states put this flag on their state houses and adopted the symbol in defiance of the federal government which was trying to bring equal rights to Blacks in the South. It's reputation was worsened and then the flag was adopted by other white supremist and neo-Nazi groups.

I realize the Mississippi flag has been there since the 1890s, but I think it does more harm to the state than good to keep a symbol on the flag that so many in the world identify with now as a hate symbol.

^What most Southerners don't realize is the Battle Flag was not the official flag of the Confederacy. That flag looks quite different and if the desire is to honor the Confederacy then that is the flag that should be used. Unfortunately the Confederate Battle Flag was co-op'd by the Klu Klux Klan in the 1920s as their symbol and that became the Confederate flag that is incorrectly known in modern times. In the 1950s, many of the Southern states put this flag on their state houses and adopted the symbol in defiance of the federal government which was trying to bring equal rights to Blacks in the South. It's reputation was worsened and then the flag was adopted by other white supremist and neo-Nazi groups.

I realize the Mississippi flag has been there since the 1890s, but I think it does more harm to the state than good to keep a symbol on the flag that so many in the world identify with now as a hate symbol.

• 3 weeks later...

As a native Mississippian, I am sometimes offended by the politically correct attitude and superiority complex of some people regarding history and race relations. Slavery was not unique to the south but this fact is generally ignored by the vast majority.

I am sure that whatever flag was flown at the time of slavery in Rhode Island (or any other northern slave state) was deemed a sign of oppression to the black people residing there. Since popular history does not acknowledge slavery outside of the south, these symbols are not recognized as hate symbols.

The reason St. Andrew's Cross is viewed as racially divisive is because the south and it's symbols were vilified after the civil war. As a result, hate groups latch onto this symbol.

To be informed please visit http://www.slavenorth.com.

It is certainly true that the slave trade continued merrily along in New York until 1826 and that many (if not quite all) of the northern states condoned slavery until such time as it was deemed economically unnecessary. The St. Andrew's cross/battle flag may also have unimpeachable historic value to a great many people. This, unfortunately, does not change its modern perception. I'm not often one to kneel before the altar of political correctness, but I think this issue needs more discussion. When all is said and done, I think the greater picture is that the battle flag hurts Mississippi.

I believe a vote to change the state flag should happen every ten years or so. If the people of the state of Mississippi want a different flag, so be it, but I do not think the state should give in to the demands of others to change the flag.

There are so many 'Southern' things that I hold to - the flag is not one of them. Growing up in Oxford I staunchly defended it; but for the life of me I can't remember why. MS is rich with culinary, literary and folk culture and this unwavering loyalty to such a divisive symbol holds us back. Get rid of the flag - the sooner the better.

Unfortunately, there really isn't another good symbol of the state that makes a good flag, especially one of the South. Maybe we could revert to the old magnolia tree flag, but complicated images make horrible flags. If you had to design a new flag, what would it look like? The only way I would support a new flag is if it was a compromise--something like Alabama's flag. Even Tennessee's flag closely resembles the battle flag without consequence. What about a combination of the American flag and Confederate battle flag? How about a simple blue "X" on a field of red and white stripes? I think that would symbolize how the old South has merged into the country as a whole, yet has retained its distinctiveness.

Unfortunately, there is no other intensely Southern symbol. And if there were, it would probably be construed as racist as well. We share some of the blame for not standing up to the white supremacists and allowing them to take our symbol, and we continue to pay our dues for that. However, these groups have historically made far more use of the American flag than the rebel flag. Although people are ignorant of that, we shouldn't roll over for it.

I wonder how Jews would respond if someone tried to share with them the meaning behind the NAZI flag, and "change their impression, exceeding expecataions, doing it unconditionally."

Doesn't it seem easier to come up with something new that everyone can agree on, rather than try to force one groups "heritage" down the throats of the others who'd rather have no part of it? My roots are in Mississippi, Jackson and Hattiesburg, and I know many who'd much rather see the state change its image, starting with that flag.

I wonder how Jews would respond if someone tried to share with them the meaning behind the NAZI flag, and "change their impression, exceeding expecataions, doing it unconditionally."

Doesn't it seem easier to come up with something new that everyone can agree on, rather than try to force one groups "heritage" down the throats of the others who'd rather have no part of it? My roots are in Mississippi, Jackson and Hattiesburg, and I know many who'd much rather see the state change its image, starting with that flag.

I am sure that whatever flag was flown at the time of slavery in Rhode Island (or any other northern slave state) was deemed a sign of oppression to the black people residing there. Since popular history does not acknowledge slavery outside of the south, these symbols are not recognized as hate symbols.

I'll agree that the Magnolia Flag looks like it was designed for an elementary school play. Surely a better option could be designed? Pictorial graphics need not be included. Simple color and graphics together have produced a few great state flags. New Mexico's is particularly effective. Ohio's is interesting. Please no more red white and blue....

Archived