Mural Idea for the police station

DwntwnGeo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I would really prefer this not be an "ad" and be a work of art. But I'm sure the city wouldn't mind the revenue. Any ads would have to be HEAVILY scrutinized IMO so that it's top quality, and not for something like toilet bowl cleaner.

i'd love to see the scrubbing bubbles on the side of the GRPD!

Down in Texas (a whole 'nuther country, as the ads say), there is a huge market for bail bonds. If that were the case here, I could see one of those hucksters leasing the cop shop wall space.

(Seriously. I was attending a bicycle tour in Wichita Falls--ride 100 miles in the August heat--and every windshield in the parking lot was leafleted by a local bail bonds outfit. Guess they know how to have fun!)

I did my masters thesis in architecture on revitalizing buildings such as this one. The design portion of the thesis used our Herpolshimers / City Center / Maki's World Kidz Mall / Police Station as an example case for redeveloping these sorts of introverted buildings to integrate better with their surrounding urban context.

It involved adding plenty of new windows and entrances around the perimeter of the building so it was 'extroverted' towards the street, as opposed to its original design of being introverted around the retail escalators and interior atrium. (Orginially a street used to run through that atrium that was the core of City Center mall. The design was for a mixed use development of office, retail, and residential condo's.

The fun 'architectural fantasy' part of the design hollowed out the center of the building on the upper levels to create an outdoor cul-de-sac for residents to drive their cars to their garages by going up the former parking ramp next door and across the bridge that used to be over fulton. It created an interior courtyard. In that arrangement you could go to Meijer's, load up on groceries, drive back home to your condo by going up the parking ramp, over the bridge, around the courtyard, and into your garage to unload your groceries.

More Images are posted here for anyone interested.

http://home.comcast.net/~dmaxam/thesiscitycenter.htm

thesis4.jpg

http://www.maxamdesign.blogspot.com/

thesis1.jpg

thesis3.jpg

Pretty interesting concept. I also like the European feel of the building. The Courtyard for the upper level condo units is my favorite feature.

I did my masters thesis in architecture on revitalizing buildings such as this one. The design portion of the thesis used our Herpolshimers / City Center / Maki's World Kidz Mall / Police Station as an example case for redeveloping these sorts of introverted buildings to integrate better with their surrounding urban context.

It involved adding plenty of new windows and entrances around the perimeter of the building so it was 'extroverted' towards the street, as opposed to its original design of being introverted around the retail escalators and interior atrium. (Orginially a street used to run through that atrium that was the core of City Center mall. The design was for a mixed use development of office, retail, and residential condo's.

The fun 'architectural fantasy' part of the design hollowed out the center of the building on the upper levels to create an outdoor cul-de-sac for residents to drive their cars to their garages by going up the former parking ramp next door and across the bridge that used to be over fulton. It created an interior courtyard. In that arrangement you could go to Meijer's, load up on groceries, drive back home to your condo by going up the parking ramp, over the bridge, around the courtyard, and into your garage to unload your groceries.

More Images are posted here for anyone interested.

http://home.comcast.net/~dmaxam/thesiscitycenter.htm

thesis4.jpg

http://www.maxamdesign.blogspot.com/

thesis1.jpg

thesis3.jpg

Huh. Guess a DT Meijer wasn't part of that plan.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Riding around at ArtPrize today, I took some current photos.

grpd-1.jpg

grpd-2.jpg

grpd-3.jpg

This image was shot while standing directly across from the parking lot zoo.

grpd-4.jpg

grpd-5.jpg

And also...

wallneargrpd.jpg

Just in case anyone new happens to be reading this. It should be pretty easy to establish GRPD (and/or the other building) as A/P venues. Obviously the city would have editorial veto power over the design.

What a great Idea!!

Riding around at ArtPrize today, I took some current photos.

grpd-1.jpg

grpd-2.jpg

grpd-3.jpg

This image was shot while standing directly across from the parking lot zoo.

grpd-4.jpg

grpd-5.jpg

And also...

wallneargrpd.jpg

Just in case anyone new happens to be reading this. It should be pretty easy to establish GRPD (and/or the other building) as A/P venues. Obviously the city would have editorial veto power over the design.

What a great Idea!!

Thanks. As some know, I am an A/P groupie (did my third volunteer shift tonight). Before it began I rode around visiting the installations going in. Helped a couple of out-of-towners with local info. And talked to several muralists who wanted to do something that would have a lasting impact. One wants to return next year (he was convinced he'd land in the top ten). May as well start the ball rolling now.

Who was the artist who did the mural on the side of the old Annheuser-Busch Icehouse? That was probably my favourite work from 2009's. I'd love to see that muralist return. That work looks like it's always been there.

Daan Hoekstra, and he's from Central Mexico, so I'm not sure when he'd be back up in GR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Why don't you make this happen already? Find a muralist (the Pekich Park muralist maybe?), raise some money, get the approvals, done. :good:

Getting there, today's find is a bookmark. Several pages back I posted the info on the Pekich Park muralist (Furniture City). That was before A/P started. (y'know, international recognition, funding, Kickstarters, all that hoopla early autumn)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived