To split or not to split. That is the question.

Lady Celeste

Should the Atlanta Highrise thread be split?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Atlanta Highrise thread be split?

• No - Leave it alone!
    • Yes - 3 threads: Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead
    • Yes - 4 threads: Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead/Metro
    • Other (explain below)

Hello everyone,

It has been brought to my attention that there are those would think that the "Atlanta Highrise Boom" Thread should be broken up into perhaps a Buckhead, Downtown and Midtown section. This may even be accomplished by just a Buckhead and Downtown/Midtown section. I am soliciting responses from you all.....the ones who make the post...to see how you all feel about this. Atlanta is currently going through an amazing development boom. It can be cumbersome to keep up with everything that is going on. Urbanplanet.org is a source of information for development and we definitely want the Atlanta forum to be user friendly.

Please leave your suggestions below. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Happy developing,

LadyCeleste

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I have added a poll to this thread. Please voice your opinion there as well.

If we split things up, it will most likely require that I cut some people's posts up since there is often information on all locations in one post. But, if we split it up, we could do something like Providence but for Atlanta. I would need a volunteer to maintain it though. Maybe IC? Or if someone else wants to, I can arrange it so you can have Editor status so that you can keep it up to date. Something to think about...

I like the idea of separate Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead and Metro threads. I guess that Lindbergh would go under Buckhead for now but it may need its own in another year or two. But if Lindbergh got its own thread then Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, Cobb Galleria and Gwinnett would also warrant threads of their own. Really it becomes a question of how much division makes for more convenience and how much is too much. Still, I like the four way split.

I leave it up to you to decide which thread Linbergh should go in. I don't there's enough going on there to warrant its own thread (at elast not yet). But the three threads idea is winning. To those people who support that: what should we do with highrise developments in Marietta, Gwinnett, Perimeter, etc? I think that having four threads with one of those being a catch-all thread makes the most sense. I just want to make sure I dont have to think too much while sifting through the 90 some pages of highrise discussion in Atlanta. So where should these other discussions go?

So under a three-spread split Cobb, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Gwinnett would all go under Buckhead. It's not that big of a deal but it sounds a little crazy to me. I wonder if the three thread advocates were assuming that it would be three threads for the city of Atlanta and not Metro Atlanta??? I support what ever is decided but just wanted to through some more into the pot.

So under a three-spread split Cobb, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Gwinnett would all go under Buckhead. It's not that big of a deal but it sounds a little crazy to me. I wonder if the three thread advocates were assuming that it would be three threads for the city of Atlanta and not Metro Atlanta???

The point of splitting up the thread is to make information and discussions easier to find. It may be easier to just start posting new developments in new threads and leave the old one along. There is so much information and so many discussions in there that it may not be appropriate to split up everything.

As far as this forum is concerned, I don't think there's enough activity in the NYC or Chicago subforums to warrant this.

As far as categorizing projects here goes, it's merely a matter of convenience. I surely hope that people wouldn't get the impression that Atlanta is a fractionated metropolitan area simply based on groupings of projects here on UP. I think that's more of a real world issue, and I don't see what's being proposed here as contributing to that in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived