Tallahassee Police Department

Florida

Tallahassee {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Police Chief

police.jpg

Today I was contacted by Ms. Jean Kimble of the HR department at City Hall who informed me that our city manager asked her to give me a call in reference to the selection of our new Police Chief. I was already on my way to City Hall this morning on some unrelated business so I decided to stop by to see what the deal was.

Apparently, there will be in addition to an executive panel of interviewers, a citizens panel as well. The city would like for the persons selected for the citizen's council to come up with 2-3 good questions to ask the would-be New Police Chief.

Can you all help me jog up some good questions? This crew on UrbanPlanet is probably the most educated group of thinkers I've ever been exposed to. I love you all!

Thanks in advance,

-TJ

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you TJ for being selected. I know we'll be well represented on the citizen's side by you. As for the question I'd ask them, it's the dirty one: CONSOLIDATION!

I'd really prefer to ask why not consolidate the police and sheriff now since there is no real chief just a temporary one. Hiring a new chief that may have to move his family to town and relocate here is a negative to consolidation b/c who wants to move and get a good paying job that could help your career even more and then say you are for consolidation and losing your job.

Also w/the new Gov.'s proposal to cut the homestead exemptions and property taxes, local governments will be scrambling for ways to replace those lost dollars. This consolidation is one of the best ways for Leon/COT to survive this funding cut.

I feel logically consolidation of the police and sheriff depts. has never been more obvious and easier to implement than at this time. Therefore, I'm sure it won't happen. I might ask the candidates how they feel about consolidation and how they'd implement it, but let's be real, again why would you take a job (even if the promotion is internal) and then work to make your position obsolete?

To me that question out shines all the other questions out there.....except maybe why was the Assistant Police Chief allow to do 100mph on I-10 in Leon County and only get a warning?????? The rest of us would probably be in jail right now.

Good for you TJ for being selected. I know we'll be well represented on the citizen's side by you. As for the question I'd ask them, it's the dirty one: CONSOLIDATION!

I'd really prefer to ask why not consolidate the police and sheriff now since there is no real chief just a temporary one. Hiring a new chief that may have to move his family to town and relocate here is a negative to consolidation b/c who wants to move and get a good paying job that could help your career even more and then say you are for consolidation and losing your job.

Also w/the new Gov.'s proposal to cut the homestead exemptions and property taxes, local governments will be scrambling for ways to replace those lost dollars. This consolidation is one of the best ways for Leon/COT to survive this funding cut.

I feel logically consolidation of the police and sheriff depts. has never been more obvious and easier to implement than at this time. Therefore, I'm sure it won't happen. I might ask the candidates how they feel about consolidation and how they'd implement it, but let's be real, again why would you take a job (even if the promotion is internal) and then work to make your position obsolete?

To me that question out shines all the other questions out there.....except maybe why was the Assistant Police Chief allow to do 100mph on I-10 in Leon County and only get a warning?????? The rest of us would probably be in jail right now.

I am in favor of consolidating the forces myself. But I think if that is not going to happen. The city needs to hire a Police Chief from OUTSIDE of the department. They do not need to do like they did with the FD and hire from within. I am not sure what question you could ask the would-be new chief. I will think on it for a few days. Congrates on being asked thou, that is a honer. :w00t:

I am for consolidation of local governments and law enforcement, in a one-city county, it's absurd why we haven't yet. Since this area isn't sold on the idea (again fear of change), why not just start w/law enforcement first. See how it works. If it's successful after a few years, try it w/the local govs. Seems only logical to start it at this time since TPD is w/out a top leader and another one who uses I-10 has his personal racetrack. So since it's logical, yeah sbdinc I'm sure it won't happen. However I am w/you on the fact that since it's not going to happen, hire from the outside.

I'd still ask a consolidation question.

I strongly favor consolidation of our law enforcement & public safety agencies & think that the long-term benefits & cost savings would far outweigh the short-term expenses of doing such. In a County that has only 1 City, why do we need all the duplicity? I agree with what you say about a combined public safety dispatch center being good for all of us & I'm glad to see that process actually moving forward. It will benefit all of us in an emergency. Actually, I'm in favor of total consolidation of all aspects of our governmental entities. Why do we need 2 of everything here? The County Commission & the City Commission could be combined into a larger panel of representatives. Personally, I'd like to see the City Police take over the entire County as I view them as being more professional & better managed. TFD already handles all fire related & medical first responder incidents in our County. I think the EMS should be merged into TFD also. Again, I just think we'd see long term benefits & savings for taxpayers with a consolidated form of government at all levels.

I strongly favor consolidation of our law enforcement & public safety agencies & think that the long-term benefits & cost savings would far outweigh the short-term expenses of doing such. In a County that has only 1 City, why do we need all the duplicity? I agree with what you say about a combined public safety dispatch center being good for all of us & I'm glad to see that process actually moving forward. It will benefit all of us in an emergency. Actually, I'm in favor of total consolidation of all aspects of our governmental entities. Why do we need 2 of everything here? The County Commission & the City Commission could be combined into a larger panel of representatives. Personally, I'd like to see the City Police take over the entire County as I view them as being more professional & better managed. TFD already handles all fire related & medical first responder incidents in our County. I think the EMS should be merged into TFD also. Again, I just think we'd see long term benefits & savings for taxpayers with a consolidated form of government at all levels.

JonSch7 you make a very valid point about the case for a new bldg. if law enforcement were to consolidate. You also state that in the existing situations, both TPD and the Sheriff's office are at full capacity. So they may have to enlarge their bldgs. in the future anyway, so that would negate some of the cost of a new complex b/c some monies on new bldgs. would have to be spent anyway. Also could they not operate out of both bldgs. for awhile, especially if the consolidation was slowly phased in? Another way to figure out how to deal w/this cost is to see what other city/counties that have consolidated have done about this problem. Jax is an old example since they were progressive and consolidated years ago, but what have places like Nashville/Davidson done about this or the 3 consolidated cities in GA: Athens/Clarke County, Augusta/Richmond County and Columbus/Muscogee County? Augusta and Columbus are about our size and Athens is a college town like us, so maybe we could learn from them?

I am like Glenn and all for consolidating everything in this City/County. I still think in the very long-run...think decades here, it will save money, maybe not for us, but for our kids or grandkids...yes. Also I think in the argument about whether to consolidate or not, we get caught up in the personalities of the Sheriff and the TPD Chief. This thing is way bigger than who is currently in office now and will have lasting effects long after they are gone from this earth. I am not a fan at all of the Sheriff, but if it takes letting him lead this consolidation for a few years to make it happen, I'd even be OK w/that.

I enjoy your comments and especially hearing from someone who is on the inside of this touchy subject.

On the word of consolidating the EMS/Fire Dept woudl be good. The FD already goes to every EMS Call anyway. The county would save money because of not having to pay the staff and all of the up keep that is envolved in running a EMS department. I have worked at a plain FD, a Fire Rescue( that ran both EMS and Fire) and I have worked for an EMS dept. that ran nothing but EMS calls. I liked working the Fire Rescue better. There seemed to be more resources for the Fire Rescue. The joint dispatch will BE GREAT THING. As I am a volunteer FF in the county now. There are times that EMS is dispatched to a call 3 to 5 minutes ahead of TFD. And that is a BIG gap. IF we got dispatched at the same time someone could be there sooner, at least in the county area b/c of all of us volunteers are spread out. The confusion that goes on now is not even funny. The unit really dont have anyway to talk with each other direct without telling the dispatch to call the other dispatch to have the unit go to another channel. The agencies will not allow the other department to come to there channel to talk. It all makes no since.(I hope that made since)

The police and sheriff's department need to be one. No if's and's or but's about it. The cost up front would be will worth it 10 years down the road. Now would be a good time. It is rumored that Campbell will not run again. I know the city does not like the idea, but it needs to happen. Jacksonville and Miami did it. I am sure it was not as smooth as glass but it worked.

What is everyone's view on who is the bigger power in the area......City or County? I'm guessing the City government is much larger than county, but it would be quite extreme to imagine the county taking over everything since they are a much smaller group. I think over time a consolidation will happen, unless other cities are annexed in the county (Woodville, Southwood, Lake Jackson). Fifty years from now, with new developments being built, they may want to annex and become their own city. The only way a consolidation will happen is if the city eventually takes over the county's proceedings.

Taurean, congrats on the nomination to sit on the board. It is obvious that many think highly of you, and it is a great honor to be chosen! I heard that they have received over 50 applications for chief, with only four coming from TPD. I'm not sure the deadline, but I'm guessing there will be close to 60 when it is all said and done. More than half are high ranking officers from throughout Florida. Also heard numerous from California and New York as well.

It is funny how an agency is judged by just one person, and Walt McNeil was an amazing leader and person. With all the negativity surrounding the "speeding" incident, just remember that the entire agency cannot be summed up by just one person.

Respectfully JonSch7 IMHO I think you are looking at consolidation as a hostile take-over. It doesn't and should not be that way. It's a consolidation or a merger where the best ideas and people from both groups are meshed together. It really should not matter which group is bigger or more powerful, it should just matter what is best for the common good.

Southwood or many parts of it are w/in the city, so they'd have to leave the city and re-incorporate as an independent city which is often hard to do...just ask those in the San Ferando Valley that for years have wanted to break-away from those "over the hill" in that part of Los Angeles. Many parts of the southern side of Lake Jackson are also being incorporated into the city. Historically the areas that have been very much against consolidation are Ft. Braden, Chaires/Capitola and Woodville. I hope that none incorporate into their own independent cities before this consolidation occurs.

I definitely do not judge TPD on Hernandez's actions, but after that incident, I sure hope he does NOT become chief. I heard on WCTV that his was one of the applications.

Respectfully JonSch7 IMHO I think you are looking at consolidation as a hostile take-over. It doesn't and should not be that way. It's a consolidation or a merger where the best ideas and people from both groups are meshed together. It really should not matter which group is bigger or more powerful, it should just matter what is best for the common good.

Southwood or many parts of it are w/in the city, so they'd have to leave the city and re-incorporate as an independent city which is often hard to do...just ask those in the San Ferando Valley that for years have wanted to break-away from those "over the hill" in that part of Los Angeles. Many parts of the southern side of Lake Jackson are also being incorporated into the city. Historically the areas that have been very much against consolidation are Ft. Braden, Chaires/Capitola and Woodville. I hope that none incorporate into their own independent cities before this consolidation occurs.

I definitely do not judge TPD on Hernandez's actions, but after that incident, I sure hope he does NOT become chief. I heard on WCTV that his was one of the applications.

I have a good friend that is a TPD officer and he told me he hopes they hire someone from outside of the department. I think one thing that would help also is if the sheriff would just go ahead and deputize all of the TPD officers to help them in the county. Alot of the TPD officers live in the county and have to go through to much if they come up on a call.

Seems like a pretty diverse community group...see list of panel members below including our own TJ! :thumbsup:

Tallahassee Police Chief Applications Now Being Reviewed

February 15

Recruitment Efforts for Permanent Appointment Continue - Tallahassee City Manager Anita Favors Thompson today announced additional steps in the recruitment process to fill the position of Police Chief including the formation of screening and interview teams that involve a variety of citizens and city employees. To date, 47 eligible applications have been received from candidates throughout the United States.

Applications of eligible candidates are currently being forwarded to a Screening Committee composed of a blend of community leaders, law enforcement professionals, and city management. Screening Committee members will independently review and rate each eligible candidate. The Screening Committee

I am very excited about the committee's that were formed. I know many individuals on them, and they are all amazing people. I believe Mrs. Favors did an awesome job selecting a diverse group, because that is what is needed in our community. A police chief is one of the most recognizable positions, and it is important that our diverse community has a major role in deciding who the next is.

I also saw the list of the applicants so far, and there are some pretty impressive names on there. TJ keep us up to date, and good luck with the process. I'm sure it will be very time consuming, but you guys will do great.

I am very excited about the committee's that were formed. I know many individuals on them, and they are all amazing people. I believe Mrs. Favors did an awesome job selecting a diverse group, because that is what is needed in our community. A police chief is one of the most recognizable positions, and it is important that our diverse community has a major role in deciding who the next is.

I also saw the list of the applicants so far, and there are some pretty impressive names on there. TJ keep us up to date, and good luck with the process. I'm sure it will be very time consuming, but you guys will do great.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me just say you all were amazing at having the dialouge above. I was able to get some really good ideas for the three questions I'll have to generate and submit this week to City Hall's Human Resources. Among the ideas:

Consolidation: Where do you stand on Consolidating Tallahassee-Leon County's Law Enforcement Agencies? Do you feel it will save the community money in the long run? And if Consolidated, how do you view the new structure -- county-wide under city control, or under county control?

Public Safety: Violent crime seems to be on the rise in the Tallahassee area, especially among our youth? What role would the Police Department under your control, play in cracking down on occurances, and in better ensuring the safety of Tallahassee's Citizens?

Growth: Tallahassee is emerging as a more populous, exciting, and vibrant community. Along with this growth comes an increase in crime of all types. What is your plan to accomodate the growth of the community, and what resources will you need at your disposal as Police chief, which are currently not available in protecting the citizens of Florida's capital city and our assets?

What do you all think of those three questions?

Taurean,

I'm excited to hear what types of questions the committee will ask the applicants. I think the consolidation thing is a necessary question, but don't know if an applicant will know a whole lot about the situation. Remember, it was the sheriff wanting to take over the city PD, so that means a chief would be out of a job.

Growth to me is the biggest question. What are their goals for the city, and what plans do they have for the future. Also key to see what other types of goals the applicants have achieved.

Public safety is always the main topic, but violent crime is not a problem in Tallahassee. If anything violent crimes have decreased in the area. I believe in 2006, we had something like 2 or 3 murders. That is unreal for a city of our size. I do feel that juvenile problems are on the rise, but there hasn't been much of a change in youth gangs since I've worked at TPD. There isn't any more or less than before.

Both overall those questions would be great, and I'm sure the committee will hit on them all. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!!!

Thanks for bringing that to my idea. I had no idea. The city manager is very specific about what she wants in the new Police Chief. She says that she will extend the deadline to hire if this round of 10 candidates isn't what she wants. I have all of their applications from yesterday's meeting. I'll have a chance this weekend to look them over.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone! This is the final day of citizen interviews for the police chief candidates! Yesterday was so loooooooooooooooong! But we've got a talented bunch in the running for the spot. In many ways, this process feels like American Idol. I hate the question they have me asking. I'll be very open with you all this evening when I get home as all candidates will have been interviewed.

Archived