Tallahassee Police Department

Florida

I look forward to reading your summary about these candidates TJ plus hearing about the process. They have you asking a pre-selected question of each of the candidates? That does sound rather restrictive.

Question from me: Which candidate in your opinion best seems to "smesh" w/the ideas that are being kicked around at your Knight Initiative meetings? Yes I know the two things are rather different, but just wondering which candidate(s) best exemplify the Knight Initiative spirit and will best help implement the ideas or at least not stand in the way of them?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also looking forward to reading your synopsis of this whole process, TJ. I don't like the sound of you being assigned a pre-selected question of each candidate. I assumed the dialogue wouldn't be so controlled.

Question...Isn't the City Manger going on a sabbatical soon? I remember reading that on TDO recently. Anyway....Can you tell us if she will make the selection for Police Chief before she leaves or after she returns?

OK! Here we go!

There we were, a 15 member citizen panel asking questions to these very well qualified candidates, 8 men, 1 woman. The questions were preselected and the same for each candidate, asked in the same order, in the same way, by the same person each time. It was very interesting that the candidates had similar answers to many of the questions we asked, namely the question about police pursuits, and citizens review panels.

The Candidates:

John Proctor (Tallahassee, Interim-Chief)

Jose Luis Lopez, Sr. (Hartford, CT, Deputy Chief)

Roger J. Reinke (Marco Island, FL, Chief of Police)

Argatha Rigby Gilmore (Tallahassee, Capitan)

Louis Vega (Miami, FL, Deputy Chief)

Dennis Michael Jones (Daytona Beach, FL, Police Chief)

Rafael Pedro Hernandez (Tallahassee, Deputy Chief)

Alberto Manuel Melis (Waco, TX, Police Chief)

Patrick Lynn (Pembroke Pines, FL, Deputy Chief)

The Questions:

1) Diversity of Police Department

2) Dealing with other law enforcement agencies

3) Working with Unions

4) Battling Teen-age Gang Crimes

5) Use of Deadly Force and Citizen Review

6) Vehicular Pursuit

7) Ethics

8) Working with a Political Sheriff's Department

9) Important Characteristics of Police Chief

10) Communicating Information with ACM, and CM

11) 5 Year Vision for TPD

There were a few other questions, but these were the most specific. For the most part the answers to all of the questions were about the same for most candidates. Those candidates that stood out above others with answers to the citizens panel, in my opinion, are highlighted above. Without ranking the candidates we listed their strengths and weaknesses after the interviews were over.

There were two candidates that did not find favor with the group. I will not disclose who they were, but the opinion on them was solid.

At aproximately 1:30pm today the group selected John Newton to speak to the City Manager on our behalf and share our findings with her. The ultimate decision is hers to make.

Thanks for the info TJ, sounds like a very interesting process. I'm very sad to see Hernandez as a "stand-out" on your list. I feel his behavior after being stopped for a traffic ticket by a Trooper was not what I'd expect of MY Police Chief. Also he seems like he only wants this job as a stepping stone to a better position in South FL. I'd rather have someone as MY Chief that sees this place as their home. I could be wrong about Hernandez, but it seems he is not grounded here.

I still thank it is sad that the three from TPD are in the top choices. I sure am hoping for some new blood in the department. Like I have said, many of the TPD officers I hav spoken with dont want anyone from the inside to get it. They want someone from the outside to get it.

Thanks for the info TJ, sounds like a very interesting process. I'm very sad to see Hernandez as a "stand-out" on your list. I feel his behavior after being stopped for a traffic ticket by a Trooper was not what I'd expect of MY Police Chief. Also he seems like he only wants this job as a stepping stone to a better position in South FL. I'd rather have someone as MY Chief that sees this place as their home. I could be wrong about Hernandez, but it seems he is not grounded here.

Remember Poonther, the news coverage around here isn't always the most comprehensive. AND, this was ONE incident, not a part of a pattern of similar events. I think he makes a good choice for police cheif. But ultimately its up to Ms. Favors to decide this.

As far as those within the department being top choices, I think its only a testiment to how strong our force is. We've got some very talented Men and Women in the Tallahassee Police Department. And I'm comfortable saying ANY of those three within our department could stand with the best of Cheifs of Police from any other city.

He's one of those candidates that had a very impressive resume and interview. He's been Chief of Police before and held executive positions at nearly every law enforcement level from the municipal to the Federal. He's been a chief of Police before, as you mentioned in Sweetwater, City of South Miami, and the City of Chelsea, MA. I'm not going to defend the way he handled the most recent news incident, but I'll say his record is impressive and his interview was also.

There were 6 strong candidates to me. Any of these would make a great chief. I'm not sold on a single person. Ultimately the choice is Mrs. Favors-Thompson's to make.

I have no doubt he is as impressive in person as he is on paper. I too have seen his resume and based on it and listening to a few folks I know that work for TPD is how I've drawn my conclusion that Hernandez is not the right guy for us (Tally.) That doesn't mean he's a bad guy, just not the right fit for Tally IMHO. It's good to hear that you aren't sold on a single person and that you'd be fine w/up to 6 of the candidates. That shows there must have been some very impressive candidates. My hope is that A F-T finds one of the other 5 more impressive. I'm not even real sure why I feel as strongly as I do about this matter, usually I don't on this type of thing, but for some reason this time I do.

Thanks again for all the info.

Just out of curiosity I looked up the 2000 populations of where Hernandez has been Chief of Police:

Chelsea, MA 35,080

South Miami, FL 10,741

Sweetwater, FL 14,226

and of course Tally in this year had a pop. of 150,624.

I have no doubt he is as impressive in person as he is on paper. I too have seen his resume and based on it and listening to a few folks I know that work for TPD is how I've drawn my conclusion that Hernandez is not the right guy for us (Tally.) That doesn't mean he's a bad guy, just not the right fit for Tally IMHO. It's good to hear that you aren't sold on a single person and that you'd be fine w/up to 6 of the candidates. That shows there must have been some very impressive candidates. My hope is that A F-T finds one of the other 5 more impressive. I'm not even real sure why I feel as strongly as I do about this matter, usually I don't on this type of thing, but for some reason this time I do.

Thanks again for all the info.

Just out of curiosity I looked up the 2000 populations of where Hernandez has been Chief of Police:

Chelsea, MA 35,080

South Miami, FL 10,741

Sweetwater, FL 14,226

and of course Tally in this year had a pop. of 150,624.

City names four finalists for top cop job

No Hernandez on this list!!!! :yahoo:

TJ, 3 of them were on your "bolded list." The 4th Lynn from The Pines was not. What did you not like about him, if you feel like sharing that w/us.

Since I read the resumes, I was always impressed w/Melis from Waco and then w/Jones from Daytona. Tell us your thoughts about those 2 if you don't mind TJ.

And finally the only "in-house" person on the short list is Proctor. Of all the in-house folks, I sorta liked "on paper" the woman best.

City names four finalists for top cop job

No Hernandez on this list!!!! :yahoo:

TJ, 3 of them were on your "bolded list." The 4th Lynn from The Pines was not. What did you not like about him, if you feel like sharing that w/us.

Since I read the resumes, I was always impressed w/Melis from Waco and then w/Jones from Daytona. Tell us your thoughts about those 2 if you don't mind TJ.

And finally the only "in-house" person on the short list is Proctor. Of all the in-house folks, I sorta liked "on paper" the woman best.

• 2 weeks later...

Anita taps Dennis Jones

I can't say I'm disappointed with Mr. Jones' being selected as Tallahassee's next Police chief. Although he wasn't my favorite on the short list, he is well deserving of the job. He came in with alot of fresh knowledge about the Tallahassee Police Department, knowing a great bit about what's going on with the department now, and having a plan for what he hopes to see the Tallahassee Police Department do in the future. I remember him having a friendly demeanor, he looked like he'd been out baking in the Daytona Beach sun a bit, as his face was red the entire time he spoke to us, or perhaps that was his blush.

In anycase, Tallahassee should be happy to welcome him aboard. I'm sure he'll continue the good work done by Cheif McNeil.

• 6 months later...

Technology and Traffic are Top Priority

By Jason Dehart

Tallahassee Police Chief Dennis Jones has been pretty busy since he started work on May 21. He has been settling in, getting to know the community, and working on his plans to keep TPD on the cutting edge of community service and law enforcement.

• 1 month later...

After dabbling with new colors, logo, TPD to stick with old look

By Nic Corbett

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Back when Walt McNeil was chief of the Tallahassee Police Department, officials were thinking of changing the look of police cars to accommodate the city's new logo.

City officials thought the logo would look good on a white patrol car with a blue vinyl stripe. About 20 test vehicles were ordered.

But this week, TPD Chief Dennis Jones and city officials decided to stick with the same blue-and-white cars TPD has had for years

gallery_3748_7_123230.jpg

Image of the "New Look" that they've decided against in favor of the Original.

--------------------------------------------------------------

All I can say is, :yahoo: "Thank You Jesus!" :yahoo: Isn't God good?! I've been bothered by this for months. I'm so glad they've decided against this change in favor of what we have.

If not broke, don't fix!

After dabbling with new colors, logo, TPD to stick with old look

By Nic Corbett

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Back when Walt McNeil was chief of the Tallahassee Police Department, officials were thinking of changing the look of police cars to accommodate the city's new logo.

City officials thought the logo would look good on a white patrol car with a blue vinyl stripe. About 20 test vehicles were ordered.

But this week, TPD Chief Dennis Jones and city officials decided to stick with the same blue-and-white cars TPD has had for years

gallery_3748_7_123230.jpg

Image of the "New Look" that they've decided against in favor of the Original.

--------------------------------------------------------------

All I can say is, :yahoo: "Thank You Jesus!" :yahoo: Isn't God good?! I've been bothered by this for months. I'm so glad they've decided against this change in favor of what we have.

If not broke, don't fix!

Archived