Ghazi's ~17 story SouthPark condo tower

turbocraig

It's been reported on another forum that Ghazi has filed a rezoning petition for 3 acres on Fairview Rd for a 16-17 story condo tower near Piedmont Town Center. The rendering posted looks remniscent of Avenue. I'd post a link, but I don't think it'd be kosher to link one forum to another. Anybody else heard of this?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been reported on another forum that Ghazi has filed a rezoning petition for 3 acres on Fairview Rd for a 16-17 story condo tower near Piedmont Town Center. The rendering posted looks remniscent of Avenue. I'd post a link, but I don't think it'd be kosher to link one forum to another. Anybody else heard of this?

PH112137.JPG

here's a photo of the house they propose to preserve and move to the front of the site. Very cool! never even noticed this place on Fairview, it's owner is listed as "Little House on the Prairie, LLC"?

All I can say is, PRIMO skyline view from the 17th floor if this project gets approved and built! I'll take it!

Wow. When I first looked at the site plan, my initial thought was; "hey, why didn't he put in a garage and then front Fairview with retail?"

Then I read the rezoning petition:

"Maximum building height shall be 40 feet. The maximum building height may be increased above 40 feet providing the side and rear yards are increased one foot for every 10 feet of building height increased over 40 feet. Petitioner is providing 20' of additional sideyard and rearyard to allow for a maximum building height of 240'.

I know that helps with keeping buildings in scale with the things around them, but also provides a pretty big standoff from the street and adjacent buildings.

Hm - I noticed the for sale signs on those properties last year, but this is a bit more ambitious of a project than what I expected would be there (more 3-5 story brick midrises similar to its neighbors and across Fairview).

With all the dense residential development on Fairview the traffic situation at the Park/Tyvola intersection will go from bad to worse pretty quickly. I wonder if there are any proposals to improve that along with these projects.

Was this the ASID designer house a few years ago?

A coupe of thoughts......why not just go for a MUDD(CD) rezoning...instead of going with one that restricts FAR's and leads to this hideous design?

If FARs weren't an issue, then he could line fairview with townhouses screening a deck.....I can't imagine someone living in a tower and walking 600' to their parking spot.

As proposed, I hope this is not approved/built.

• 3 months later...

I live in Southpark and honestly have no clue what a slightly taller building will add to the area other than a monstous parking lot. This part of the city is based off retail as much as it is offices and condos and is probably the most diverse part of the city in that sense considering there's no retail uptown and limited office space in Southend. Why should we jepordize those elements of apeal that could differentiate us from other mall centered retail/office zones (Tyson's Corner DC's treeless desert dominated by sprawling highways awkwardly placed buildings, and a shopping mall) for a tall building that will be a perpetual eyesore. We need more medium sized mixed use development that will cover acreage with quality buildings and trees instead of giant parking lots juxtaposed with tall towers.

For the sake of the city, Southpark, and myself I hope this project never makes it.

Archived