Ghazi's ~17 story SouthPark condo tower

turbocraig

I'd support the addition of high-rise condos to South Park if the city relaxed its setback zoning based on tower height. It's going to result in a lot of towers that don't connect to the street at all. No chance for street level retail or strolling districts to be created.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd support the addition of high-rise condos to South Park if the city relaxed its setback zoning based on tower height. It's going to result in a lot of towers that don't connect to the street at all. No chance for street level retail or strolling districts to be created.

I don't think I'm in favor of more density until the areas road situation is improved. Density for the sake of density isn't a good thing. The height doesn't bother me so much as the fact that no one living there will be getting anywhere without a car.

Edit. Charlotte is well behind Atlanta in this regard, as Buckhead is served by two MARTA stations.

From my perspective the location of this site to the shopping center at the corner of Park/Selwyn, which includes a grocery store, is a viable walk (slightly over a half mile with sidewalks the whole way), however the general 'South Park' demographic that will live there would probably never consider walking along Fairview or crossing Park Rd.

If this would front Fairview better (Larger setback, townhomes) and possibly include a few small shops that would serve the other condo developments in that area as well, and improve my opinion of this development.

I don't like this project this is exactly what I think sets us up for Atlanta style sprawl. I think we are best marketing ourselves as something different than the LA of the East like Atlanta, and more like the Seattle of the East. This is just an example but I think we have no competition in a real urban southern city which tries to minimize sprawl. I'm just saying I think we should try and not be that sprawly southern city like everyone else and really focus on making a viable downtown that would attract people since there isnt a southeastern city as big or bigger with a really viable downtown and isnt covered in sprawl. I think thats how we should try and start marketing ourselves.

• 2 months later...

Well the City Council unfortunately approved this project tonight. I was glad to see that Mayor McCrory spoke out against saying it goes against the Centers and Corridor plans and the more recent SouthPark Plan. It wasn't a unanimous vote by City Council...but just enough to overcome the protest petition.

Both the City Planning Staff and the Planning Commision recommended denial of this project. It is not often that City Council goes against both the Staff and Planning Commision. I think the only reason a majority of the City Council voted in favor of this project is that the Neighborhood HOA where this is going up voted in favor of the project. I suspect they will use that as political cover if this project ever comes up as a "mistake" in the future.

I don't like this project this is exactly what I think sets us up for Atlanta style sprawl. I think we are best marketing ourselves as something different than the LA of the East like Atlanta, and more like the Seattle of the East. This is just an example but I think we have no competition in a real urban southern city which tries to minimize sprawl. I'm just saying I think we should try and not be that sprawly southern city like everyone else and really focus on making a viable downtown that would attract people since there isnt a southeastern city as big or bigger with a really viable downtown and isnt covered in sprawl. I think thats how we should try and start marketing ourselves.

Bellevue is Seattle's answer to Buckhead. It has a lot of high-rise projects, but somewhat disconnected and surrounded by lower density development. It's also not connected on any rapid transit line I believe.

I wish this development would have been along the rapid transit corridors, but welcome the higher density nonetheless. Maybe sometime in the near future (beyond 2030) the city should study and plan to connect South Park to some kind of rapid transit line be it a HRT from Uptown to SP or LRT or street car along Tyvola Road and connecting up with the Blue Line.

The other day on News Talk 1110 WBT I heard a report that the city council approved of a 10-story highrise in South Park even though the project went against the zoning committee's recommendations. The location given was the same as this one. I didn't know this project had been reduced to 10 stories and I didn't know that the committee had a problem with it as originally proposed. Anyone else here about this? I haven't heard about it from any other media outlet.

Archived