PROPOSED: Expansion at UConn Health Center

mikel

If the University of Connecticut School of Medicine were located in such proximity to one or two of its excellent affiliated teaching hospitals, instead of being 15 to 20 minutes away, there would be no proposals for a new hospital on the Farmington campus.

Several Hospitals Near Harvard

If you can't bring the hospitals to the school, then consider bringing the school closer to the hospitals.

Edited by Bill Mocarsky

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I was thinking about this last night. Why couldn't UCONN operate two hospitals in Greater Hartford? UCONN could renovate Dempsey out in Farmington while not increasing the number of beds. Meanwhile, the university could build a new campus in Hartford that would include a new small hospital (200 beds?) along with new buildings for the medical school (in other words, the medical school would move from Farmington to Hartford). I like Luca Brasi's idea of building the campus in downtown north of I-84.

This proposal would keep the availability of general hospital care to residents of the Farmington Valley. If Dempsey were relocated in a new smaller facility, it would also allow for the demolition of the concrete eyesore off I-84.

This proposal would further allow for the construction of a state-of-the-art campus in downtown Hartford, where I believe the medical school should belong.

I could see UCONN object because the new hospital in Hartford would primarily serve the urban poor and, consequently, be less profitable. However, I believe UCONN (since it's funded by the state) should not be allowed to serve only the affluent populations of the Farmington Valley.

Edited by Yankee.Peddler

I think UConn should sell Dempsey. If there's a market out there for the Farmington Valley, let a private company tap it. UConn could build a medical school downtown (north of I84 is perfect) and then it would be close enough to St. Francis and Hartford Hospital to form partnerships with them to educate their students. This public/private partnership could be tremendously beneficial to all parties involved, including the city and region.

But I predict that UConn eventually will get it's hospital built in Farmington b/c the Farmington delegation in the legislature will thwart any effort to build in Hartford by appealing to the rest of the legislature, which is comprised of representatives from, gasp, the suburbs. How can we end sprawl when our elected officials all represent sprawl?

I think UConn should sell Dempsey. If there's a market out there for the Farmington Valley, let a private company tap it. UConn could build a medical school downtown (north of I84 is perfect) and then it would be close enough to St. Francis and Hartford Hospital to form partnerships with them to educate their students. This public/private partnership could be tremendously beneficial to all parties involved, including the city and region.

But I predict that UConn eventually will get it's hospital built in Farmington b/c the Farmington delegation in the legislature will thwart any effort to build in Hartford by appealing to the rest of the legislature, which is comprised of representatives from, gasp, the suburbs. How can we end sprawl when our elected officials all represent sprawl?

Yeah it will most likely be built in Farmington instead of Hartford....

St. Francis and Hartford will never allow a new hospital in Hartford, you think they are complaining now... They are the primary reason the hospital and med school are not in Hartford right now, they initially blocked that and would do it again. The state needs a top rate public med school and hospital, and to keep it in Farmington makes sense to me. I really doubt an additional 128 beds would damage Hartford or St. Francis. It would still be half the size of Hartford Hospital and 2/3rds that of St Francis. Maybe Hartford Hospital and St. Francis should improve there standing to attract more patients. I don't care how far a drive it is but I'm going to select the best hospital not the closest whether that be in Farmington or Hartford..

• 1 year later...

I guess everyone was too busy before the holidays to post this major announcement

I read it in Italy and was kind of suprised it never made it here, but I could not post from over there and had no time either.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news7496.html

UConn Plans $475M Hospital

250-bed facility would replace Dempsey in Farmington

The University of Connecticut Health Center and Hartford Hospital are preparing to seek legislative approval next month for a $475 million, 250-bed hospital to replace UConn

• 3 weeks later...

interesting stuff. some major hurdles there with the unions, but something has to be worked out.

http://www.courant.com/news/health/hc-webu...0,1851156.story

Under the plan, the UConn Health Center would be transformed from one of the nation's smallest academic hospitals into part of a major academic medical center.

The proposed new hospital building would replace the existing Dempsey Hospital without significantly adding to the number of hospital beds in the region, reflecting projections that the region will not need more hospital beds in the near future.

The partnership would create a two-campus University Hospital. A new corporation, University Hospital, Inc., would own and operate the Hartford campus Hartford Hospital and lease the Farmington campus the Health Center from UConn. The corporation would be led by representatives from both UConn and Hartford Hospital's parent company.

HOLY CRAP this is getting better

this is a rehash of yesterdays article in the business journal, but includes some new info as well.

http://www.courant.com/news/health/hc-ucon...0,7124119.story

But the state would be responsible for labor costs. Under the plan, workers at the Health Center would remain state employees and those who are unionized would remain in unions. The state would pay the difference between the costs of their fringe benefits and those provided to hospital workers in the private sector

When they say they will build a new patient tower in downtown Hartford, are they talking about an addition to Hartford Hospital or a completely new building elsewhere? I do not consider Hartford Hospital to be located downtown. Jay

I'm pretty sure that is what they mean. It's not Downtown proper, but it's very close and more familiar to say Downtown as opposed to South Green.

I'm pretty sure that is what they mean. It's not Downtown proper, but it's very close and more familiar to say Downtown as opposed to South Green.

I do not consider it downtown either, but understand how it could be seen as such.

If built say where plaza Mayor was supposed to go, I think can could say that downtown ends right about there.

Don't expect a "tower" per se, 10, 12 maybe 14 floors tends to be the max for hospital complexes.

so, um, this is Hartford man. 10, 12, maybe 14 floors is a huge deal arround here.

The way I see it, if this city ends up seeing what is it 450 million in construction in Farmington, and another 100 million in Hartford its really awsome. In addition, the economic impact of activities happening in this new space at HH, and the new grad programs offered by Sacred Heard will bring jobs too. The growth of UCONN med schools programs will bring research companies and jobs to the area. This could really cause a huge growth in the S downtown area.

• 4 weeks later...

Generate 18,200 WHAT?!?!?!???

holy schnikeys!

I think I just peed myself

http://www.courant.com/news/health/hc-newh...0,6581470.story

The proposed partnership between the University of Connecticut Health Center and Hartford Hospital could generate 18,200 jobs and $3.28 billion in new individual income by 2040, according to a study by the Connecticut Center for Economic Analysis at UConn.

"This is a desperately needed economic engine for the region," said Fred Carstensen, the center's director and a UConn economics professor.

The findings will be presented during a public hearing today as lawmakers consider the proposal, which is intended to stabilize the financially troubled Health Center and is expected to cost the state $605 million over 10 years.

The proposal calls for creating a "University Hospital" with campuses in Hartford and Farmington, with a new $475 million hospital to replace the outdated John Dempsey Hospital. Hartford Hospital would take responsibility for any future deficits that the Health Center runs, but the state would be responsible for the cost of the new hospital and an estimated $13 million in annual labor costs.

According to the report, building a new hospital and expanding the medical and dental schools would generate 2,688 jobs by 2020 and 4,557 by 2040. But the report says that doing that along with the Hartford Hospital partnership, a collaboration with other area hospitals and having vastly expanded research funding to become a top 20 university medical research center would pay far greater dividends, creating 8,229 jobs by 2020 and 18,200 by 2040, and generating $717 million in personal income by 2020 and $3.28 billion a year by 2040.

• 1 year later...

OK, so this has now passed the senate, and is being sent to Gov Rell who pledged to sign it!

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-hc-uconn-health-center-0505.artmay05,0,7028681.story

The new Hospital will be right next to the current one. and will be 234 beds compared to the 230 now.

I know, I read that too and asked how 4 more beds does anything...

but there are more details.

Forty neonatal intensive care unit beds would be transferred to the Connecticut Children's Medical Center in Hartford

So, CCMC will grow by 40 beds somehow. not sure if that means some construction there or not...

those 40 spaces in Farmington will be used for "more expensive beds"

The bill calls for enterprise zones in Hartford, Farmington, Bristol, and New Britain in an effort to create jobs. It would also create a simulation center at Hartford Hospital, add a primary care institute at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Hartford, and create an institute for health disparities.

Plans also include a state-created network of area hospitals regarding cancer care and improvements at the Hospital of Central Connecticut.

this this is a far cry from the merger plans, and its also better than just a new hospital. but it seems as though Downtown should gain some benefits from this.

and the job projections are scaled back from 18k to 7k by 2040.

Interesting to see if the enterprize zone around HH leads to some development.

I heard from some people that the idea being kicked around now is to leave John Dempsey in Farmington as a hospital and build a new UConn medical school downtown just north of 84. All educational facilities would move downtown giving students easy access to both Hartford Hospital and St. Francis.

In my opinion, that is by far the best and most reasonable scenario I have heard yet. That would be HUGE for downtown. Lets hope it gets further than just talk.

Edited by Luca Brasi

I heard from some people that the idea being kicked around now is to leave John Dempsey in Farmington as a hospital and build a new UConn medical school downtown just north of 84. All educational facilities would move downtown giving students easy access to both Hartford Hospital and St. Francis.

In my opinion, that is by far the best and most reasonable scenario I have heard yet. That would be HUGE for downtown. Lets hope it gets further than just talk.

Interesting.

these people you talk to do they have any influence? are the "in the know" types?

and would this just be classroom space, or a place ambulances drive to and from. if its just classrooms that would be Amazing!

google brought up an op ed from 2 days ago that might have sparked this talk or been as a result of this

http://articles.courant.com/2010-05-09/news/hc-painter-uconn-medical-downto.artmay09_1_medical-school-dental-schools-public-health

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Interesting.

these people you talk to do they have any influence? are the "in the know" types?

and would this just be classroom space, or a place ambulances drive to and from. if its just classrooms that would be Amazing!

Yes they are in the know and very influential people in the Hartford business community.

The idea under consideration is to move the medical and dental schools downtown freeing up space for John Dempsey to add the beds it needs. The health center would get the space it needs to expand both its care and research facilities and UConn would get a brand new educational facility close to two major hospitals. It makes sense that the students would now live downtown and be much closer to the industry they are studying much like the UConn Business School and the future St. Joseph's School of Pharmacy. I guess that Capital Community College has a very good nursing program which would only get better with UConn practically next door. Students would then live downtown instead of out in Farmington where most live now. A move like this makes sense all around, would be less expensive and would tie in a lot of advantages for both students and UConn.

Bob Painter is behind this. He is a former member of City Council, a surgeon at St. Francis and teaches surgery at UConn. Hopefully, people will listen to someone who seems to know more about this than just about anyone.

Edited by Luca Brasi

Remember Painter's idea for a "College Park" a couple years ago in this area? It seems the UConn idea is kind of along the same lines...

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1447-college-park-downtown-hartford/page__p__1077673__hl__rensselaer__fromsearch__1&#entry1077673

Please keep in mind this is only in discussion right now, but it makes sense.

EDIT: WOW! Hard to believe that thread was from 2003!

Edited by Luca Brasi