Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Starbucks coming soon on Elizabeth... just saw the sign this morning.

I saw that a few weeks ago and was sort of saddened by it, partly because it made it even more "real" that Anderson's is gone, but partly because we're well on our way to having a Starbucks on a corner in every neighborhood. While there are certainly worse companies on the planet than Starbucks, and I'm not someone who boycotts them, I would've preferred to see a local, independent coffee shop open there instead of a mega-chain.

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

What is the deal with the corner unit of the building at 7th + Pecan? Seems like no one can keep it leased for more than a year. I'm speaking of the one next to Starbucks and directly across from Philosopher's Stone. Looks like the lastest tenant is moving out. The place must be cursed.

I've been in the area a lot recently visiting someone at presby, and I think the drive thru was rumor. I dont see where it would go & the kitchen is against an interior wall away from the parking. I really wish Andersons was still there but oh well.

also, the ice cream place seems to be struggling, theres never anyone there from what I can tell.

What's the deal with the corner space of the building at 7th and Pecan (the Starbucks building). Once again, it seems the restaurant that occupied it is closing. Seems like no one can stay in business for more than a year. Anyone have any insight to this "cursed" space or is it just a coincidence of bad management?

Discussion of development in Elizabeth's 7th Street can go here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30859

Anyone know a timeline on the Jack's move? I seem to remember an article that mentions adding 3,000 sq ft to the existing building. I am not sure I believe all that unless Camera World is taken out.

Also, for the sake of asking, anyone have info on the actual redevelopment of the Jack's/PStone/CoffeeShop land?

Ok, not a lot of positive news here lately, but I'll try to add some cheer.

The surface lots between Customhouse and NoFo will soon be filled with a retail building to house a restaurant called "Nothing But Noodles".

The tower that contained the Whole Foods may be going forward, without them signed....I don't know what they plan on doing to fill that space, or if it will be significantly redesigned.

There is also a new website for the whole Elizabeth Ave. project, and on it is a great virtual tour/fly through that includes flying through downtown with several new projects (oddly no Avenue though).

http://www.elizabethavenue.com/Tour.html

Here is an updated site plan. 4th St. seems to be given the shaft.

post-1289-1180641873_thumb.jpg

I went to Elizabeth Creamery last night with some friends and it was well worth a trip. The Starbucks drive thru is definitely a false rumor, and Atlrvrs site plan confirms that too. There were a decent number of people in the Creamery, and the restaurants all had a decent number of people in them. I think that this corridor might ultimately benefit from the slower growth. It is certainly going to be interesting.

The tower that contained the Whole Foods may be going forward, without them signed....I don't know what they plan on doing to fill that space, or if it will be significantly redesigned.

Here is an updated site plan. 4th St. seems to be given the shaft.

post-1289-1180641873_thumb.jpg

On the site plan, they still list a grocery at the corner of Hawthorne and 4th. Is that just an error?

4th got the shaft, but thats not entirely grubbs fault. They really dont have full control of the district. I do believe this will be the most organic of the mixed use type projects and am glad to see that the few remaining historic buildings will miss the chopping block. Grubb hopefully understands the value these add.

So far the retail mix is very heavily weighted to restaurant. lets hope it changes some.

For those interested, I just received an email requesting that any and everyone who wants Whole Foods in Elizabeth email to the following:

[email protected] (CEO)

[email protected]

[email protected] (VP, Real Estate)

i've done it, it was easy. They've asked that we send requests to either open here AND Southpark, or ditch the SP store since that area is well covered with retail and grocers.

For those interested, I just received an email requesting that any and everyone who wants Whole Foods in Elizabeth email to the following:

[email protected] (CEO)

[email protected]

[email protected] (VP, Real Estate)

i've done it, it was easy. They've asked that we send requests to either open here AND Southpark, or ditch the SP store since that area is well covered with retail and grocers.

Thanks for that info. I just sent the 3 of them an email begging them to reconsider the Elizabeth location. One of the points I made was that income demographics alone shouldn't be used to decide a store location. While I have no doubt that a SouthPark store would do fine, I just think a store in Elizabeth would be an ideal, centrally-located spot to draw from Uptown and the "in-town" neighborhoods. Of course, I also reminded them that they would pretty much be the only game in town where grocers in Elizabeth are concerned.

Thanks for that info. I just sent the 3 of them an email begging them to reconsider the Elizabeth location. One of the points I made was that income demographics alone shouldn't be used to decide a store location. While I have no doubt that a SouthPark store would do fine, I just think a store in Elizabeth would be an ideal, centrally-located spot to draw from Uptown and the "in-town" neighborhoods. Of course, I also reminded them that they would pretty much be the only game in town where grocers in Elizabeth are concerned.

Awesome, I emailed all three of them as well, and I hope our emails have some effect. Hopefully more people on UP will bombard them with emails to the point they get sick of reading them and they take some kind of action to move forward with this project.

Speaking of Starbucks ... and Crisp, I guess; is there some restriction on their using the "parking" area out front as outdoor seating? It stinks as a parking spot - and can be dangerous when Suburbans try to back out onto 7th. Seems like it would be a great spot for chilling outside, but surely they would have already if they could. ??