Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

We will all be dead by then but hopefully the next generation of UP devotees will be able to discuss how great it is to ride.

Well by then, I'd hope that Charlotte had the budget for flying buses that runs off of solar panels. Or... it could be like the claw: you say where you wanna go, the claw picks you up and drops you where you need to go. No traffic, no pollution, no need for a streetcar...

(Sarcasm for those that believe in the giant claw transformation solution)

Right, well, 2023 is not quite in my range for a natural death, but I'll have to consult with my actuary.

The East-West streetcar was pushed out by a decade in order to speed up the NorthEast line, and to keep the North line close to its original schedule despite loss of expectations for federal funding. To speed up the NE line, and to increase the local percentage given to the N line, they needed to delay the other lines by enough years to cover the costs. So the SE, W and E-W streetcar lines were pushed out to closer to 2020. The SE supporters asked for their delay in hopes that at that time, they can get LRT rather than BRT, knowing it was a lost cause in the current climate. The W line did not have that many vocal supporters, as many of the West Charlotte people were more interested in the Beatties Ford/Central Av corridor, where they already have a lot of riders. The loudest to go down was that streetcar, because, like I said, it had many supporters uptown, in East Charlotte and in West Charlotte, as well as a few developments that were counting on its imminence.

The section from Beatties Ford/85 to Presbyterian Hospital is currently slated for 2018, assuming federal funds, correct estimates on inflation and revenue proceeds, and assuming the tax remains. The section from Presby to Eastland is slated for 2023, which has the same caveats.

It does not appear likely that the North line will be canceled, as they have a new model for funding the missing federal grants, and that was the only hope for speeding the streetcar back up to the next few years within the current governance structure. If the transit tax is repealed, not only will the streetcar project likely be canceled, but so will the others unless there is a new push for a new tax somehow (unlikely any time soon in that hypothetical).

However, if the North line manages to succeed in using TIFs, it is possible that the city could look to that and other funding options to build it locally. The ridership on the streetcar is conservatively expected to be 16000 per day by 2030.

I just wish that some ridiculously rich guy would be nice and just give us the money to build the street car line. I mean, I'll be 35 when that's built. That means I'll probably have kids and everything. Damn that's old....no offense to you really old guys out there. :)

I just wish that some ridiculously rich guy would be nice and just give us the money to build the street car line. I mean, I'll be 35 when that's built. That means I'll probably have kids and everything. Damn that's old....no offense to you really old guys out there. :)

Lol... Well Grubb in a way is a really rich guy thats contributing something and that is for the sake of his investment. Maybe more investors in the future will see the need for transportation to their property and will do the same. All of the time frames that are given are almost sickening sometimes, but I guess you have to be optimistic and thing that Charlotte's going to keep growing, and with more growth, more money, and more investors, some of these lines as well as possible new plans will be implemented at a sooner rate than expected. Also, who knows what gas will be like in 5-10-20 yrs from now and what the need would be for alternative transportations as well as changes to the federal government that invests more money into these projects. Now if Charlotte's growth slows down then I wouldn't expect to see things done early. You have to also think, the streetcar concept in uptown is a very hot thing right now to many people. I would see BofA and Wach and other big companies investing into the streetcar before I saw this actually not being completed for another 20 years. A lot is going to change in this time... We'll see though.

:offtopic: sorry for the diversion, but I drove by the new Starbucks in Elizabeth the other morning and the place was packed... with nurses in their scrubs. It was kind of a funny sight, all these green jumpsuits sitting there drinking coffee.

I guess people who work at Presby are excited for somewhere to get coffee in the morning beside the cafeteria at the hospital!

So I asked my friend who works for Parks and Rec's Central Division what the plans were for the Grady Cole Center. He said that they are planning on tearing it down and relocating the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center there. That aquatic center's lifespans are only about ~10 years because of all the corrosive chemicals from the pool so it is quickly approaching time for a new location. This goes right along with the county's plans to vacate their 2nd Ward properties in order to get the baseball stadium.

So I asked my friend who works for Parks and Rec's Central Division what the plans were for the Grady Cole Center. He said that they are planning on tearing it down and relocating the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center there. That aquatic center's lifespans are only about ~10 years because of all the corrosive chemicals from the pool so it is quickly approaching time for a new location. This goes right along with the county's plans to vacate their 2nd Ward properties in order to get the baseball stadium.

Yeah, I read a recent article in the observer or CBJ that mentioned that there were other sports funds taking place aside from the new baseball stadium. They mentioned that the Aquatic Center had some major investments going on in it soon, and the other plans were for something like 16 sports fields (Soccer, football, baseball, softball type fields).

^ related to that...this monday parks and recks started building a new soccer field out in ballantyne at the morrison YMCA. they are also building a new track at the community house middle school.

I heard from somewhere that parks and rec would also be building a new disc golf course down in Ballantyne as well, and it should be opened this fall sometime

2 stories with a rooftop deck and an outdoor patio! This should be nice!

I agree - it looks pretty sweet. I do think it's unfortunate though that yet another Elizabeth institution is moving out. I hope a new restaurant will be able to pick up where Jackalope Jack's left off in Elizabeth.

I agree - it looks pretty sweet. I do think it's unfortunate though that yet another Elizabeth institution is moving out. I hope a new restaurant will be able to pick up where Jackalope Jack's left off in Elizabeth.

I thought Jackalope's was moving because all those businesses we're being torn down for new development. Same with the strip across the street (although, I recently heard that a new business was going in there, so it seems odd they would offer leases if they planned to tear everything down in the near future). Had anyone else heard this? They were going to knock down the Dollar General, VisAart, Flower store, etc. and build a condo/retail thing closer to the street, with parking in rear. Anyone? :huh:

^ You can work backwards in this thread to where Conformity sheds some light on what is going on ... I don't think DG or VisArt are on the radar, but Roy White's and the empty lot next to it are as are Jacks and Phil's Stone on the other side. Different developers.

^ You can work backwards in this thread to where Conformity sheds some light on what is going on ... I don't think DG or VisArt are on the radar, but Roy White's and the empty lot next to it are as are Jacks and Phil's Stone on the other side. Different developers.

I asked the VisArt manager directly about whether they have plans to move out, and she said that they're entrenched for the long run. Unless someone makes an offer they can't refuse, they'll stay in.

I asked the VisArt manager directly about whether they have plans to move out, and she said that they're entrenched for the long run. Unless someone makes an offer they can't refuse, they'll stay in.

I wouldn't think VisArt would have a say in it. They don't own the building, just lease their space.

I found out that the construction going on right now on Elizabeth Ave is just for CPCC to lower their chilled water pipes and fiber optic lines that go under the road. The work they are doing now will make way for the improvements to Elizabeth Ave that are scheduled to occur in 4Q 2007:

• Relocation of curbs to create one lane in each direction with turn lanes at signalized intersections, bike lanes between Kings Drive and Charlottetown Avenue and on-street parking between Charlottetowne and Hawthorne Lane
  • Installation of tracks and poles for future streetcar service
  • Installation of wider sidewalks, trees, street lighting, pedestrian-scale lighting and steel poles and mast arms for traffic signals
  • Increasing water and sewer line capacity for future development
  • Placing overhead utilities underground