Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Does any one know is Crisp has opened? They have set up tables outside and it appears open but I haven't seen a sign either way. Thanks!

I stopped in and talked to the owner yesterday. The interior looks much better than Corner place. There are maybe 15 tables, and a small bar. The owner, from Long Island, has a lot of restaurant experience. He informed me that he previously owned an Italian restaurant and an Irish Pub. He says that Crisp will offer an upscale salad bar, soups, small pizzas and a wine/beer bar.

I believe Crisp may be open now... I can't say for sure, but I definitely noticed it the other night while playing ping pong at the Stone across the street.

Which reminds me, the Philosophers Stone has a ping pong table! How awesome is that?! Well, it is for me anyway. They have a bean-bag toss game too. Imagine that, a bar offering fun games to get you up off your butt! Anyway, it has definitely become a regular stop for me on my bike rides in the evenings.

That stretch of 7th street is very nice. I hope development proceeds inline with the current feel of the area.

Which reminds me, the Philosophers Stone has a ping pong table! How awesome is that?! Well, it is for me anyway. They have a bean-bag toss game too. Imagine that, a bar offering fun games to get you up off your butt! Anyway, it has definitely become a regular stop for me on my bike rides in the evenings.

If you like ping-pong, also check out Thomas Street Tavern. They have two tables out back with netting around them so the balls won't get lost and bleachers for people to watch!

If you like ping-pong, also check out Thomas Street Tavern. They have two tables out back with netting around them so the balls won't get lost and bleachers for people to watch!

Wow, thank you! Looks like it's only a mile or less down Pecan Ave from the Philosophers Stone! Awesome!

Checking out their menu they have Guinness on tap for $3.50! I don't miss the $5-8 pints from NYC at all! :D They have some really good bottled beers too.

And from there it's a short ride up to NoDa... wow I can't wait for my next trip!

Wow, thank you! Looks like it's only a mile or less down Pecan Ave from the Philosophers Stone! Awesome!

Checking out their menu they have Guinness on tap for $3.50! I don't miss the $5-8 pints from NYC at all! :D They have some really good bottled beers too.

And from there it's a short ride up to NoDa... wow I can't wait for my next trip!

Tyber has $2 Pints of Guinness every day...of course it isn't really a bike ride from this part of town(it's Southend), but thats the best deal on Guinness I know of.

Tyber has $2 Pints of Guinness every day...of course it isn't really a bike ride from this part of town(it's Southend), but thats the best deal on Guinness I know of.

I love Tyber for that one simple reason... I'm usually there on a Wed or Thurs night for those $2 Guinesses -- not mention I can walk there :)

I believe Crisp may be open now... I can't say for sure, but I definitely noticed it the other night while playing ping pong at the Stone across the street.

They are indeed open. I had lunch there today. Very good. The concept is kinda like Subway, but semi-gourmet. You can choose preselected sandwiches or salads from the menu, or tweak/build your own and they make it for you right there while you watch. They've done a very nice job "upscaling" the interior and outside patio from that Corner Deli place that occupied the space before.

Of the two developers, I have high hopes for what will replace Dollar Genera/Visart, but I'm nervous about the opposite side of the street.

While I am not a fan of the strip mall type buildings that Visart is in, I love Visart and the shops in that mall- except for Dollar General. I also really enjoy seeing people congregating at Jacks and Philosopher's. A Birkdale type set up in place of Jacks and Phil's would really ruin the neighborhood feel to Eliz, I love living here and I dread looking at another condo buiz block in its place. I have heard that it is going to be retail and condos, but with the current lack of archectural imagination going on in the uptown area- the Loft/ Volare buidling is a Great example of this lack of creativity- I feel i have a right to be nervous. Both of these places attract a relexed crowd and feel to the neighborhood. I also know that the strip that Visart is in is doomed, but I hope that what goes in its place will be the result of a sincere attempt at creating a building that will add to the area's apperance and not push out the present occupants due to higher rents.

Of the two developers, I have high hopes for what will replace Dollar Genera/Visart, but I'm nervous about the opposite side of the street.

I don't care about Dollar General but I hope that Visart stays. That is a great movie store and I'm only aware of two in North Carolina. One here and one in Carrboro.

I also know that the strip that Visart is in is doomed, but I hope that what goes in its place will be the result of a sincere attempt at creating a building that will add to the area's apperance and not push out the present occupants due to higher rents.

This is a building of similar design that I think would be appropriate. This is The Mix @ 841 in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood of Atlanta. VaHi is very similar to Elizabeth in architecture and vibe.

I think the scale of this building is a little too large for the Visart/Dollar General site, the architecture is fairly bland, and would like to see some sidewalk/patio dining options, but what I lDO LIKE about the desing is how it steps back from the street, to give it a lower profile massing. The biggest opponents of this would be the two or three single family residences behind the existing strip center on 8th. The other adjacent uses I believe are some apartments and some small retail/office buildings.

Rendering%206.9.2006.jpg

This is a building of similar design that I think would be appropriate. This is The Mix @ 841 in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood of Atlanta. VaHi is very similar to Elizabeth in architecture and vibe.

I think the scale of this building is a little too large for the Visart/Dollar General site, the architecture is fairly bland, and would like to see some sidewalk/patio dining options, but what I lDO LIKE about the desing is how it steps back from the street, to give it a lower profile massing. The biggest opponents of this would be the two or three single family residences behind the existing strip center on 8th. The other adjacent uses I believe are some apartments and some small retail/office buildings.

My understanding was that Visart will not be affected by the redevelopment? At least that's what the clerk at Visart told me. Per her, the strip mall is actually two different buildings -- the redevelopment will take out the left half (containing Roy's Flowers and maybe the sub shop).

No idea how accurate this is, just what I was told.

Edited by Bossanova

what is so wrong about this dollar general? do you guys think it's too low-brow? i know it isn't glamorous or exciting but, it is used by many and it hasn't attracted crime to the area. i remember when it was stanleyville drug and they had a food counter in the back.... i do miss that. however, i don't see anything wrong with the dollar general. elizabeth is one of the best neighborhoods in charlotte (imo) but, it runs the risk of gentrifiaction to the point of white-wash blandness. i am OK with something like a DG thrown in the mix.

I like Dollar General and shop there sometimes. Everything does not always have to be upscale. I also hope the authentic neighborhood integrity of Elizabeth is maintained and the whole strip is not turned into some mini version of Birkdale Village.

I agree, everything shouldn't be upscale.. you need to keep mid-scale retail and a good variety and mix or you'll drown out classes.

I agree, everything shouldn't be upscale.. you need to keep mid-scale retail and a good variety and mix or you'll drown out classes.

Ok, I see your point on the Dollar General. It does keep the area in perspective, just like all of those stores on both of those corners do. I dont shop in Heros, but I like seeing it there along with Anthony's and the cleaners. I am really nervous about whats going to happen to the area that Jacks and Phils stone is going to turn into. However we have to face fact, that there are developers drooling over the possibilities of the Visart/ DG mall being torn down.

How much of an influence does the Elizabeth Community Association have in these projects?

My understanding was that Visart will not be affected by the redevelopment? At least that's what the clerk at Visart told me. Per her, the strip mall is actually two different buildings -- the redevelopment will take out the left half (containing Roy's Flowers and maybe the sub shop).

No idea how accurate this is, just what I was told.

I was told the same thing, most likely by the same person. Visart's "company line" on this situation conflicts with the speculation that I've seen on this forum; I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

The Dollar General is a useful institution, but I think its outside appearance conflicts with the surrounding neighborhood. A nicer sign and tastefully tinted windows would go a very long way toward integrating the DG with stores like Visart and Heroes. But I have to say, I'd rather see it stay than go. More than once I've gone to that strip, bought detergent at DG, dropped my clothes at the cleaners, picked up a latte at Starbucks, browsed Visart, picked up a book from Heroes, read until the clothes were finished, and headed home. Not too many places in Charlotte that you can get that kind of full-service urban experience.

Does ANYONE have an idea of what is going on in this project? Grubb announced the movie theater/night club, but since then there is silence. Where are the condos? Will there be a hotel/condo tower? Grocer? I remember when they first announced this project with a final completion date of 2010. It seemed so far into the future. Now I'd be happy to get a bulldozer in place before 2010!!!!

They just removed the underground fuel tanks from the gas station at the corner of Hawthorne and Elizabeth. They might have to do some further site remediation. A sales center for the condos is currently under construction at 1523 Elizabeth and later this year Elizabeth Ave will be torn up and redone with buried power lines, redone sidewalks, and embedded rail in the road for the future Streetcar. This project has moved rather slow...but it is still moving.

What I am always worried about is the legitimate buisnesses who are already there, and whose present buildings will be torn down- after looking at these plans, will be forced out infavor of those who have more$$$. I am a huge fan of Cuizine Malaya and fear that it will leave with these new "improvements".

What I am always worried about is the legitimate buisnesses who are already there, and whose present buildings will be torn down- after looking at these plans, will be forced out infavor of those who have more$$$. I am a huge fan of Cuizine Malaya and fear that it will leave with these new "improvements".

It would really be a shame if Cuizine Malaya left the neighborhood. That's one of my favorite restaurants in Charlotte.