Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

So.....did anyone go?

After reading comments on the Elizabeth Community blog, it seems the only plans for the Roy While Flowers building (and I'm assuming vacant undeveloped parcel) were revealed...nothing for the three restaurants across 7th.

The plan was for a 4 story buildings with 140 apartments and 5,000 sq. ft. of retail, with all parking behind (and I'm assuming in some sort of structure).

I think it's a little residential heavy and retail light, though there are apparantly deed restrictions in place that are driving this. Still, 140 apartments is a bit much in my opinion for that small parcel, and 4 stories is probably overkill, as it is a bit out of scale with the the surrounding uses. 3 stories with a roof-top common area seems more appropriate, and if that translates into about 90-100 apartments, that seems much more reasonable.

If the neighbors aren't happy with the plans, I bet they will have a real fight on their hands, as Melanie Sizemore is now the president of ECA, and she is the one who led the charge to fight the higher-density version of Laurel Ridge that city council rejected.

As far as apartments, that seems to make sense for this site, as renters would be less tempermental to the traffic/noise issues that overlooking 7th would bring.

• 2 weeks later...

Please go to my new post under the title: "Randolph Road Projects in Elizabeth" if you have any ideas on this following question. This was the closest topic that I could find to what I'm looking for. Thanks!!

Looks like there's a land assemblage being put together by "One Randolph Place, LLC" that's underway on Randolph Road bound South to Dotger, North to Laurel Ridge townhomes (except for one parcel), and as deep back as Vail Avenue (about 9 lots total). Does anyone have any additional info. on this? Zoning supports multi-family. I've got the info. on the owner (he also filed a "One Queens, LLC" the same day) but want info. on the development in Elizabeth. Thanks.

I've been thinking a little bit more about the Dollar General/Roy White strip and have decided, what irks me most is that the apartments don't really make sense at the Roy White site, but would make much more sense at the Dollar General site, and would include ground floor retail. 4 stories would be more logical here, (though it would need the Visart etc. interior piece), though running the numbers, I'm having a tought time making it work. Still, no more than 100 apartments.

The Roy While site and vacant parcels should go as condos, probably in two buildings. While I doubt this plan would appease the neighbors, it seems the most logical. I don't usually like the idea of several parcels to be combined for development sake, but I think this is a case where it would be beneficial, though the Visart piece would be needed.

I'm really worried about what is going to happen here, and so far, I'm somewhat pessimistic, and support the ECA, though not necessarily for the same reasons.

I've been thinking a little bit more about the Dollar General/Roy White strip and have decided, what irks me most is that the apartments don't really make sense at the Roy White site, but would make much more sense at the Dollar General site, and would include ground floor retail. 4 stories would be more logical here, (though it would need the Visart etc. interior piece), though running the numbers, I'm having a tought time making it work. Still, no more than 100 apartments.

The Roy While site and vacant parcels should go as condos, probably in two buildings. While I doubt this plan would appease the neighbors, it seems the most logical. I don't usually like the idea of several parcels to be combined for development sake, but I think this is a case where it would be beneficial, though the Visart piece would be needed.

I'm really worried about what is going to happen here, and so far, I'm somewhat pessimistic, and support the ECA, though not necessarily for the same reasons.

Hang in there....it'll work out.

In additional 7th St. news.....Winter Properties of Atlanta has assembled a large chunk of land along 7th St. just west of Assembly Tower (old Fireman's training tower), per the CBJ. Winter is who did the rehab of Highland Mill in NoDa, but they've done a good bit of new construction in Atlanta. No news if this will be apartment of condo. It's such a large site, they could probably mix it, which I think would be a good strategy.

I've attached a map to show roughly the site.

post-1289-1199457112_thumb.jpg

I'm all for this development as long as it's 4 stories or less, as those 1950's brick houses are an eye sore, as they've never been maintained well.

I wonder if Winter will pay to upgrade the rail crossing at Bascom to be a silent crossing? That would be my hestitation there if I was a buyer, as this line gets late night trains, and I believe they sound the horn here and at Pecan in Elizabeth.

Here is the article in the CBJ:

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../07/story3.html

At first I was somewhat worried about the houses, but I rode past the area today and realized that they are not the pre-WWII houses of the rest of Elizabeth, but rather nondescript brick ranch houses. I think this is great for the area, since it will help build up density on the edge of Elizabeth where density is already there. I just hope they build street retail on 7th to keep that street a walkable retail corridor.

I still really wish that the Southeast transit corridor would be light rail on these tracks.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...9&encType=1

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks CBJ hints that the long rumored deal to bring Fresh Market to where Whole Foods was previously scheduled is likely close to happening. I can't imagine Fresh Market needing 50k+ sq. ft., so hopefully they will add some additional smaller retail spaces.

I really want this whole project to move forward, as it really sews together several neighborhoods.

I actually prefer FreshMarket going there now that we have confirmed that Trader Joes is going into Midtown.

I do hope that this project moves forward. Elizabeth Ave needs a larger scale project to actually happen so that some of those small businesses can get some localized support and to liven the area up more in off hours.

The area continues to have immense potential, but unless some core components actually happen, the are will sink more and more into pipe dream status.

If Grubb can get moving on the hotel/condo/movie/grocer component, the rest will fall into place pretty swiftly.

Encouraging news in the O today about Fresh Market's possible opening in place of Whole Foods on Liz. Of course UP had this story months ago ^_^ Their spokesperson was extremely noncommittal in her comments though. I hope this comes through. Having a market on the block would be a great jumpstart for this sloooow moving project.

I personally agree that Fresh Market may be better than Whole Foods... WF only carries organic stuff. If you walk into a WF hoping to buy a Coke, you're out of luck. I seem to recall that Fresh Market carries some standard brands in addition to the more "upscale" fare.

I tend to prefer Whole Foods to Fresh Market. They are both very good at what they do. I got hooked on Whole Foods when they opened in Mount Pleasant across the Cooper River from Charleston. Lately, I have been going to Earthfare in SouthPark several times a week. None of them are very expensive for me since I only buy little meals for dinner and such. Having a Fresh Market and Trader Joes close to each other would be great .

Edited by voyager12

• 2 weeks later...

This building on Elizabeth Ave. is about to get demoed.

P3122621.JPG

Hopefully that means they are moving towards starting the office building that would strethch from there down to Torrence. This is an older rendering, as you can still see the house visible to the right of the new building.

1515.1.jpg1515.2.jpg

I thought they were going to save that because the house is historical. They had it in the animation for Elizabeth Ave. I liked that incorporated in the design, but too bad. I guess there's not too much room for complaining considering that area is going to get the HUGE upgrade.

On another note, has anyone been able to see Elizabeth at CPCC, which has been closed down for a few months now? I'm curious to how much progress has been done or if they are still just tearing apart the roads and sidewalks.

This building on Elizabeth Ave. is about to get demoed.

P3122621.JPG

Hopefully that means they are moving towards starting the office building that would strethch from there down to Torrence. This is an older rendering, as you can still see the house visible to the right of the new building.

1515.1.jpg1515.2.jpg

Hmmm...will this eliminate the views that bring people to Loft 1523? It is a fairly cool bar, but it is the views and the patio that are the hit with anyone I know that goes there.

That is total crape. Their siteplans show that as open space, so what is the harm in keeping the old house and having walkways all around it. They are keeping other older buildings, so why not this one. Houses intermixed with urban buildings always create a sense of history in the area.