Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Something also interesting to note, Eastern Federal Theaters - which is a planned tenant for this project - got bought out by Regal Cinemas.

http://www.easternfederal.com/news-article.asp?ID=32 http://www.easternfederal.com/

Eastern Federal is/was a Charlotte-based company, btw

(edit: ok sorry didn't see this was already posted lol)

Edited by cantnot

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13346218.htm

It looks like the $53m renovation of CMC-Mercy behind Presby is moving forward. There will be new decks, and other expansions.

Ooh, this oughta be interesting. I used to volunteer at CMC Mercy

Considering what an apartment cost there you have no choice, LOL! :P

haha

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eiysf...pd/12120506.pdf

City council will vote to close an alley off of Torrence Street between 4th and Elizabeth tonight. It is a prerequisite to the building of the new CPCC parking deck.

Here is the siteplan for CPCC's deck from the rezoning this past summer. with the deck between Torrence and Independence.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-099.htm

i agree. i am a sucker for good modern art and alas, charlotte falls very short of satisfying that fix for me. however, good art is good art and this statue is a great addition. in the observer article a week or so ago i remember the sculpter being described as being "anti-modern"... i had to laugh.

9 times out of 10, anything in a public space works for me. i love the fact that it makes you notice the space, that you might not have given a glance @ before. whether you like the piece or not... i think its nice that you usually assimilate some type of opinion. one of my pleasures in life is having a harsh first opinion of something only to later discover i have changed that opinion completely.

Some pics of the statue:

12-14-05022.jpg

12-14-05023.jpg

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../19/focus3.html

Yet another write-up on the new CPCC Academic Center. As I have said with each of them, I definitely agree that the new building shifts the image of the college from a run down average institution, so something that looks more like an impressive college. It is definitely more in line with the reputation of the college as a whole.

One interesting aspect to this building that I hadn't thought of before, is that they did a college version of 'mixed-use'. They didn't want a freestanding theater that was separate from the offices and classrooms. So they mixed the uses so they wouldn't have different buildings that were in use at different times, and empty during others.

It is also the first time I have seen mention that masonry/brick exteriors are becoming relatively cost effective as mason skills have increased, but commodity prices for brick hasn't risen as much as concrete, glass and steel. That puts a business spin on the brick-based architecture.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Loft 1523 is now open for business on Elizabeth. It'll cost you at least $10 to even walk in the place though ($20 for non-members) as that seems to be the cover charge. That of course doesn't seem to get you drinks any cheaper than in any of Uptown's better clubs. Could rent on Liz really be so high as to warrent these prices. It's a small space so either 1) rent must be a fortune (which could explain Grubb's lagging in the leasing dept.), 2) this guy is trying to make a tremendous amount of profit or, 3) he's trying to keep the place as upscale and exclusive as possible. It could, of course, be a combo of the three. Anyway, it got a write up in The Observer and has a website up.

I went there on their Grand Opening night a couple weeks ago....it was pretty nice, though I'll be honest, I was pretty toasty before I ever set foot in. I don't remember having to pay a cover (I walked up the exterior stairs), though people with me who went up the elevator did, but I believe it was a membership. I have no idea what I was paying for drinks (that's never good on the wallet) but the views of the skyline are incredible.

There's not a lot to the place, and certainly isn't a place to make an evening out of it, but once Elizabeth Ave. gets more momentum with additional restaurants/bars, then it will be a good place to stop in during the evening.

Oh yeah, I think I remember it being really loud (concrete floor and glass walls tend to do that).

I wasn't clear on if it was a membership or a cover each time. The article made it out to be a $10 annual membership where as the website made it look as if membership was free and registering for a membership simply lowered the cover charge each time you came. The website says $10.00 cover for members and $20.00 cover for non-members.

I wasn't clear on if it was a membership or a cover each time. The article made it out to be a $10 annual membership where as the website made it look as if membership was free and registering for a membership simply lowered the cover charge each time you came. The website says $10.00 cover for members and $20.00 cover for non-members.

That website looks like it is referring only to the cover for New Year's Eve.

A demolition permit has been issued for tearing down the 5 story Novant Health building located on Hawthorne behind Andersons (between Eliz. and 5th).....this is the building that was the temporary home to NoFo.

I believe that Novant plans to build a 6-7 story building in it's place that will be roughly 3 times the size of the existing structure, and it will be connected by a sky-bridge to the parking deck across Hawthorne.

I don't recall if any ground floor retail is planned for this building, but I sure hope so. I have high hopes for the building's design since this being co-ordinated with Grubb's project.

There was a big hole in the back of the building when we drove by last night.

Is this just a way to save taxes while they are waiting, or will they actually build the building and/or parking deck planned for that block now that they have taken out two old buildings?

and it will be connected by a sky-bridge to the parking deck across Hawthorne.

This makes what, the 3rd new project in the city with a planned connection to a skybridge. What freaking year is it, 1982. Honestly, walk across the street at ground level people! Another thing, this is Charlotte, not Chicago, not Detroit, our average daytime temps in Jan. are in the mid 50's. It's in the 60's today, the area has low crime, and traffic is relatively light on Hawthorne. What the hell are we trying to protect these people from? Sunlight?

Well that new building that will replace the current one on Hawthorne is really independent of Grubb.....it was master planned with Grubb, but is being developed by NAI Southern/Novant, and will be all medical office space for Novant physicians.

With that said, I expect to see this new buildings begin by summer, though I'm not sure that it will need additional parking since it will be connected to the one on the main hospital campus.