Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

I just did a little digging on the folks quoted as opposed...

First up: Karen Jensen owns a triplex right on Baldwin... as well as a condo on N Church St. Curious what's her angle in this argument...  I would think she would get more renters for her triplex with more people in the area....

Second: Sylvia Patton - who lives off Luther St near Cherry Park.

Both are on the same block -- south of 3rd street in Cherry. Access to 3rd St should become better for them after the 3rd and Baldwin traffic light is installed. Right now you cannot turn out (even right) without playing chicken with 3rd St traffic.

Overall, just sounds like a couple busy-bodied neighborhood friends that want to have some fun at the zoning meeting ;)

Lastly, I was wrong that the opposition was driven by Dilworth folks... even though they are the most NIMBY of them all!

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 4

^ Any insight on the speaker from Elizabeth?  Came across as quite grumpy, and I especially did not appreciate her belittling the streetcar.  I had not much if anything from the neighborhood association about this one, and assumed that they had correctly concluded that it was none of their business.  I mean, is there a single resident in Elizabeth who will even be able to see the office tower from their property (not counting people in the hospital)?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I did not see her name, if you have her name I can look it up.

Melanie Sizemore.  Said that she represented the Elizabeth Community Association, so maybe that was in an official capacity.   

26 minutes ago, teeg said:

Melanie Sizemore

Lives off Vail Ave - which is past the Novant Main and Mercy Hospitals parallel with Randolph Rd.

Google Street View from her address shows you cannot see the Charlotte Skyline, so she would not be able to see this tower either.  Probably just does not like the street car...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, teeg said:

Melanie Sizemore.  Said that she represented the Elizabeth Community Association, so maybe that was in an official capacity.   

She is on the ECA Development Committee and typically very well informed on these matters. I'm disappointed to hear she spoke against this building - as an Elizabeth resident I desperately want more places for retail and businesses. For a supposed live-work-play neighborhood we have surprisingly little play. With CPCC taking over everything on Charlottetowne (RIP Cuisine Malaya) and Grubb sitting on Elizabeth Ave this feels like an amazing opportunity to add value to the neighborhood. And maybe with more bodies around Grubb may get more motivated to finally do something. 

Edited by sakami
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If I can get editor approval, I'm going to start working on a Pro piece about this building. Anything people want heard by the public?

The developer, if they wanted to, could build a much lousier building that would still add traffic, have no affordable housing, etc. But instead they're making an effort to reach out and build something decent.

This is something from the developer, one of the pictures shows what they could build if they took the path of least resistance:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/175-190/2017-177 community report.pdf

Also, if you need on of those "man on the street" quotes from a Cherry property owner, feel free to hit me up.

• Like 3

Just now, Vitamin_N said:

The developer, if they wanted to, could build a much lousier building that would still add traffic, have no affordable housing, etc. But instead they're making an effort to reach out and build something decent.

This is something from the developer, one of the pictures shows what they could build if they took the path of least resistance:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/175-190/2017-177 community report.pdf

Also, if you need on of those "man on the street" quotes from a Cherry property owner, feel free to hit me up.

I would love a quote from you as a Cherry property owner.

33 minutes ago, pathb said:

Elizabeth NIMBYism reaching new heights in this Charlotte Observer Viewpoint by Kris Solow (another vocal ECA member):

With newcomers pouring into Charlotte like piranhas, we're headed for disaster

That's right, folks - piranhas. 

I wish I was allowed headlines like that, but alas my over the top headlines get pared down and clickbaited.

41 minutes ago, pathb said:

Elizabeth NIMBYism reaching new heights in this Charlotte Observer Viewpoint by Kris Solow (another vocal ECA member):

Talk about projecting:

We’re all feeling it. The heightened frustration, short tempers and constant irritability to our every day lives that’s being escalated by the rapid influx of newcomers pouring into the Charlotte area like piranhas in a feeding frenzy.

and this little gem .... that gives her all the right to call others names -- how dare we question her authority!

Solow has lived in the Elizabeth neighborhood for 27 years.

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I wish I was allowed headlines like that, but alas my over the top headlines get pared down and clickbaited.

There, there, when you've lived in one neighborhood for 27 years, you too can write asinine headlines without editorial oversight!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, pathb said:

Though some points are valid, this was overall just awful and inaccurate.   And someone needs to do a better job teaching Economics in this country.  I hear similar arguments from the anti-immigrant folks.  There aren't finite numbers of jobs here.  More people means more jobs and more opportunities.  Places in the rust belt (where people are moving from) have more issues with crime and struggling school systems and they can't afford to fill their potholes or demolish abandoned homes.  The value of the writer's house has gone up dramatically because of the piranhas.  And, Elizabeth is nicer now than it was 14 years ago.  We should have better design standards though, we agree on that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, asthasr said:

You could descend from heaven in a cloud and reach out and re-create the Vatican City in a Wal-Mart parking lot and it wouldn't be enough for NIMBYs. This is why American cities sprawl, and why it's so hard to achieve density here. This project isn't the most beautiful in the world, but it's good, and it's activating the streetcar corridor, and it fits with its surroundings.

How much trouble would I get in if I put this exact quote in an article. hmmm

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

How much trouble would I get in if I put this exact quote in an article. hmmm

Plagiarism with permission seems to me like it would be ok, but it sounds like you have a strict editor if he/she won't let you mention the infestation of piranhas that will surely accompany this project in the headline. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pathb said:

Plagiarism with permission seems to me like it would be ok, but it sounds like you have a strict editor if he/she won't let you mention the infestation of piranhas that will surely accompany this project in the headline. 

Maybe I should close with "let the Piranha's feast. 

3 hours ago, pathb said:

This is how South Florida got so mean, If you’re from the area you know what I’m talking about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If I can get editor approval, I'm going to start working on a Pro piece about this building. Anything people want heard by the public?

Jobs, this is jobs being brought into our city. Not nearby, not SC, not another peer city, but Charlotte. Jobs.

• Like 1

Monday afternoon I drove Queens road and turned right onto Baxter entering "Cherry". (quotes explained hereafter)) I was welcomed with an attractive sign that said Welcome to the Historic Cherry Neighborhood. I drove five blocks to the Luther intersection and every house on Baxter was built in the past ten years but one. A lone remainder, and it was not a bit historic. I did not bother driving other streets to determine how historic they were but the neighborhood has changed irrevocably.

• Like 2