Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Tarhoosier, my home was built within the last 5 years. The home that was in its place prior was a dilapidated shack that was ill maintained and not exactly something that was conducive to renovation. The “historic” part people reminisce about in this neighborhood are poorly constructed and poorly maintained 900sqft homes. I would totally agree with your “irrevocable” comment if you were talking about Charleston single homes, but most of the previous homes in cherry were not worthy of being renovated and were cost prohibitive at renovating. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Currently, the streetcar services lifeless institutional development (Novant and CPCC).  Aside from one stretch of restaurants on Elizabeth, I hardly ever see anyone walking around the area.  It certainly isn't heavily trafficked by foot.  As long as Grubb sits on undeveloped prime property along the streetcar, the city will have to rely on projects just like this Midtown Tower.  

It's a nice letter, but I would push back on this statement. CP and Novant employ hundreds of people, and thousands of students and patients flow through both campuses every day. It's one thing to be there after hours, but during the day Elizabeth is about as busy with pedestrian activity as any street in Uptown. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's a nice letter, but I would push back on this statement. CP and Novant employ hundreds of people, and thousands of students and patients flow through both campuses every day. It's one thing to be there after hours, but during the day Elizabeth is about as busy with pedestrian activity as any street in Uptown. 

That is fair enough, but I just don't see it.  I do see some people from Novant/CPCC hopping on and off streetcar from time to time, but that is about it.  There is little to no pedestrian interaction (retail) generating "buzz".  It is just people quickly filing in and out of buildings for mostly utilitarian purposes.  When I am around the area midday it seems pretty dead other than the one section where Earl's, etc. is (which I did try to give them credit for in my email).  I appreciate your feedback though.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 3

Hopefully you give some voice to the pro-development community, which is most of the city.   Especially when it is outside the proper neighborhoods.  Those are the corridors that the NIMBY's have pushed development, and that is the compromise we have decided as a city, that the major corridors are the places we will put transit and density.   100% for this, especially if it helps adds office to help support denser residential in the area.    

Elizabeth Avenue used to have big plans for it, but about the most we've gotten is a Bojangles with a drive through and further institutional expansion (and landbanking, as Clay has reported on before).     $200M of investments in CityLynx pretty much demands that we should see densification and height in this exact vicinity.  Look at the other streetcar stations:

- 7th and Hawthorne: Can you imagine a proposal for anything going to after what Elizabeth did to Faison?   

- 5th and Hawthorne: Entirely Novant land banking. 

- Torrence to 277 is exclusively CPCC and even tore down the pre-existing retail and restaurants at Charlottetowne.  

So pretty much the blocks bound by Queens/Hawthorne, 5th, Torrence, and 3rd are the prime development blocks, minus the old retail buildings that will hopefully have a place between the densification. 

• Like 2

Looks like the Charlotte Independence/Hounds took over the spot that The Spoke Easy vacated when they moved across the street.  This is next to Luca Italian Kitchen, which is now closed, so I am glad the Independence/Hounds moved in so there aren't two empty parcels next to each other.  I assume this is just offices, but looks pretty cool, and caught me off guard as I was passing this morning.

HoundsIndependence.jpg.2723b51b724c50ae35a58a1c5535058c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Looks like the Charlotte Independence/Hounds took over the spot that The Spoke Easy vacated when they moved across the street.  This is next to Luca Italian Kitchen, which is now closed, so I am glad the Independence/Hounds moved in so there aren't two empty parcels next to each other.  I assume this is just offices, but looks pretty cool, and caught me off guard as I was passing this morning.

HoundsIndependence.jpg.2723b51b724c50ae35a58a1c5535058c.jpg

it has a bar in it as well :-) 

58 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

it has a bar in it as well :-) 

58 minutes ago, sakami said:

Ha!  I guess I should pay attention.  I literally thought it was team offices.

Diane Takata Powell, one of the residents that spoke against this development, sent a response to the article to charlotte5 and posted in the Cherry Facebook group stating that she doesn't feel the writer conveyed her position on the rezoning petition correctly. She really believes low income housing should be integrated to this project, which again, is ridiculous. Traffic concerns are a weak argument because the center of the Cherry neighborhood is 1 mile from the center of the city at the Trade and Tryon intersection. When you live in the city, traffic is part of the agreement. The residents of Cherry she speaks of in her rebuttal that "worked" with the city and the developer did not represent the entirety of the neighborhood, but rather the pack of well connected NIMBYs and their cohorts that will have an issue with any development that isn't low income housing. In particular, the development they hate the most is that in which would cause property appreciation in Cherry. I am tired of the renter NIMBYs from Cherry speaking on my behalf. Per the instruction on the original article, I am going to write the city council. 

https://www.charlottefive.com/cherry-resident-midtown/

• Like 4