Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, rancenc said:

A TO THE MEN ON THIS STATEMENT !!

Surprised Monsoon hasn't banned me!  Anyways didn't mean to take the convo sideways.  Elizabeth is one of my fav parts of Charlotte, so much unrealized potential and why the interest.  Whatever happened to the other proposal with a flat iron looking building?  This area should have walkable DC style development all over the place.

I saw in my CPCC newsletter from yesterday that the college plans to tear down and replace the Pease Auditorium/Hagermeyer LRC/Library structure with a new building.  It sounds as though the space will continue to be used through January.

This will definitely be an improvement to that part of the campus — the current library is hideous and the plaza in front of it is completely empty every time I walk through it.  I look forward to seeing the new structure!

^I don't think the aesthetics have anything to do with CPCC courtyards being empty.  Look at the lawn in front of the Overcash Auditorium.  Is it empty all the time because it is hideous?  Folks on this thread have begun alluding to this emerging architectural disconnect at CPCC:

CPCC is investing HEAVILY on creating an urban, neo-traditional campus.... to what end?  Are they looking to win students? does CPCC have a lot of competition?  Are they looking to add walkability?  When none of the students live on campus and bee-line for their cars as soon as class is over?

This Pease Auditorium/Hagermeyer LRC/Library structure  is HUGE.  I hope they have a GREAT reason for replacing it.  Aesthetics (to which i do not object BTW) is a bad reason.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any update to the 2 major projects in midtown? One being the Pappas development across the street from Pearl St bridge and adjacent to the MLS building. The other being the development across the street from Trader Joes. I do know the Cherry Community Organization was suing to stop the dev across the street from  Trader Joes but I haven't heard anything since February. 

8 minutes ago, Victor28204 said:

Has there been any update to the 2 major projects in midtown? One being the Pappas development across the street from Pearl St bridge and adjacent to the MLS building. The other being the development across the street from Trader Joes. I do know the Cherry Community Organization was suing to stop the dev across the street from  Trader Joes but I haven't heard anything since February. 

The last thing I heard about the Baldwin and 3rd office tower is that the developer was "donating" $250,000 to the Cherry homeowners group.    The new Realtors building is underway behind the existing flood prone building. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The last thing I heard about the Baldwin and 3rd office tower is that the developer was "donating" $250,000 to the Cherry homeowners group.    The new Realtors building is underway behind the existing flood prone building. 

These 2 projects are actually different from the proposal up on Baldwin. It appears the Realtor building may be part of the Pappas development near Pearl St Bridge. I was unaware of this.

http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2017Petitions/Pages/2017-011.aspx

The other project I am curious about was a rezoning petition from 2014 that is still in limbo due to frivolous Cherry Community Organization lawsuits. It's the Midtown partners project that has 6 revisions.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/099-111/2014-109 site plan 6th rev.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 12:54 PM, Vitamin_N said:

I inquired further about this. The response:

$50k for pedestrian improvements 

$200k for the park

Both to be administrated by city and county with community input. 

I wonder if Elizabeth is going to be asking for $$$$?  They did on the Faison Project.

• 3 weeks later...
So...That 20 Story office building at Baldwin and 3rd is still a go? 

The city is recommending approval, so the NIMBYS enlisted the help of more more powerful NIMBYS, so Myers Parks has joined in the fray. Time will tell what happens. It was looking good, until early this week when MP joined in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The city is recommending approval, so the NIMBYS enlisted the help of more more powerful NIMBYS, so Myers Parks has joined in the fray. Time will tell what happens. It was looking good, until early this week when MP joined in.

How disappointing. It’s nkt like there is a massive hospital nearby with it’s own towers.

7 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Isn't there anyway supporters of the NAI  Midtown Tower Project can be heard?  Attending the rezoning meeting or something?

There's a Cherry neighborhood meeting Tuesday, June 12 (i.e. tomorrow) at 6:30 pm at the Asian Library on Baxter Street.

12 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Do NIMBYs have any power to stop this? Or is it entirely up to the city?

16 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Do NIMBYs have any power to stop this? Or is it entirely up to the city?

Its hard to know with a very "green" council and planning director in place. Nimbys turned a beautiful 42 floor Arlington into a 28 floor Pink box. Our beautiful flatiron on 7th and Pecan will likely be lost because of Nimbys. Theres powerful people in some of these groups, especially in Elizabeth, and now that Myers Park has joined in, there are even bigger time people. Diane Powell in Cherry is a CMS employee on the Director Level, and seems to have some sway because of being in the public sector. But she also decries gentrification from the porch of her $700,000 new construction bungalow. 

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I will sit in on the Cherry meeeting but will be a fly on the wall.   Sounds like they dont want this thing (3rd & Baldwin) built as a significant tower.

FYI it's 6:00, not 6:30. See the description below--I don't know precisely what they mean by "weigh options for traffic abatement" as in my mind that could mean anything from speed bumps to deny rezoning requests:

Cherry neighborhood meeting Tuesday, June 12, 6-8 at Asian Herald Library

CHERRY NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Asian Herald Library 1339 Baxter St. The purpose of this meeting is to weigh options for traffic abatement on Baxter and Baldwin Streets.

With LOTS of development around Cherry – whether in progress, already approved by City Council, or the proposed 20-story development on 3rd Street at Baldwin – the risk of cut-through on Baxter and Baldwin Streets is much increased. We would like to engage the entire community in thinking together about options to minimize cut-through traffic to ensure safety for our kids and older adults.

Please join us and invite your neighbors! A representative from the City Planning Department will be present to answer questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1