Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Hmmm this is going to be a battle royale with the Elizabeth neighborhood association I am sure.  Remember they fought the NAI tower on Providence and 3rd along with Cherry HOA.   Someone get out the popcorn.  

oh yea man, I've been gearing up to watch this battle! They will regret killing Faison

24 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

I can't read the article.....can someone provide a little more insight?

this is the key part and the Faison apartment plan is dead.  No residential just office and retail not sure if the neighborhood will like this better or not but they fought and fought Faison. 

""Charlotte-based Crescent Communities this month filed a rezoning request for a 1.7-acre site at the corner of East Seventh Street and North Caswell Road to build up to 105,000 square feet of office and retail space. Faison, the current landowner, went through two rezonings, multiple public hearings and several revisions before gaining rezoning approval in summer 2016 for a plan that would bring apartments and some ground-floor commercial space to the site. ""

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this is the key part and the Faison apartment plan is dead.  No residential just office and retail not sure if the neighborhood will like this better or not but they fought and fought Faison. 

""Charlotte-based Crescent Communities this month filed a rezoning request for a 1.7-acre site at the corner of East Seventh Street and North Caswell Road to build up to 105,000 square feet of office and retail space. Faison, the current landowner, went through two rezonings, multiple public hearings and several revisions before gaining rezoning approval in summer 2016 for a plan that would bring apartments and some ground-floor commercial space to the site. ""

My biggest concerns as a neighbor relate to the ingress and egress of cars into the lot and what the real opportunity for retail is. Are we talking restaurant or gym? The height is not as big a deal for me. But I’m sure 65’ will send neighbors through the roof. 

As relates to this proposed rezoning will Creacent have to work with the ECA or because it’s a new zoning not have to deal with community input? I can’t remember how the zoning changes shook out.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sakami said:

My biggest concerns as a neighbor relate to the ingress and egress of cars into the lot and what the real opportunity for retail is. Are we talking restaurant or gym? The height is not as big a deal for me. But I’m sure 65’ will send neighbors through the roof. 

As relates to this proposed rezoning will Creacent have to work with the ECA or because it’s a new zoning not have to deal with community input? I can’t remember how the zoning changes shook out.  

I would assume the ingress and egress of cars would be via driveway.  I fail to see how that is concerning at all.  And real opportunity for retail?  It's new construction, that means national chains and there is a reason there really isn't a huge presence of them there already, adding some token amount of office space isn't going to attract any new retailers.  I used to work at a restaurant and we spent years studying a new territory before we expanded into it and we were still 5-10 years ahead of our competitors.  So believe me when I tell you that retail follows heads in beds.  Want quality restaurants instead of seedy college frat bars or bars in general?  Then you have to increase the population density of the area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Despite the creation of an urban, pedestrian-oriented area plan, former Councilwoman Kinsey nixed creating a PED overlay for E 7th St similar to Central Ave. To this day, the latter has seen abundant urban infill and adaptive reuse by right, while the former slowly transforms via conditional rezoning plans painfully negotiated case by case.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, DEnd said:

I would assume the ingress and egress of cars would be via driveway.  I fail to see how that is concerning at all.  And real opportunity for retail?  It's new construction, that means national chains and there is a reason there really isn't a huge presence of them there already, adding some token amount of office space isn't going to attract any new retailers.  I used to work at a restaurant and we spent years studying a new territory before we expanded into it and we were still 5-10 years ahead of our competitors.  So believe me when I tell you that retail follows heads in beds.  Want quality restaurants instead of seedy college frat bars or bars in general?  Then you have to increase the population density of the area.

Have you been through that intersection as of late? If a lot of new cars are trying to leave the parking from the lot on  Caswell and turn left on Caswell heading toward 7th St it will be a sh*tshow of accidents on a regular basis. There is already constant confusion with the reversible lanes in the morning and afternoon SO my concern is how they plan to get cars out of there safely. 7th St is controlled by the state and not the city and they have indicated they don’t want to do anything that would ever slow down traffic on that street so a new traffic light somewhere is out of the question. 

I’m confused about your comment about beds in heads. I don’t remember complaining about having residential there before, and I’m not bothered by office at all. If you read the article you saw they are filing for retail of up to 23,000 sq ft so there is an opportunity for something there. But I don’t trust Crescent. A seedy bar would be preferred to a Gold’s Gym. 

With crescent at the helm I expect a sub-par-to-par effort at good urban design. Crescent PR team will exclaim "Urbanist innovation!" ECA will put up a big fight but ultimately will approve an eventual compromise that will be nowhere as good as the Faison project

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

I do think most of the offices will doctors office and very small professional offices no big office users here.  Retail will probably trend towards national chains but there are already some in the area anyway.  Or a high end restaurant or bar.  No seedy bars can afford new space like this.  any main entrance to the parking area would be on Caswell  I would think to give access to the traffic  light but not sure.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JacksonH said:

1000 sq feet of office space would typically have several employees, whereas 1000 sq. feet of residential means one or two people.  And people working in those offices would most likely not be from the neighborhood, so they'd be driving there, whereas residents in the previously-proposed dwellings would likely have chosen that neighborhood due to proximity to their jobs, which is likely Uptown, which they could access via the Gold Line.  So having apartments or condos, any way you look at it, would mean fewer cars versus offices.

Normal people who grew up in the era of automobile romanticism aren't conditioned to think about it like this. Driving to work is an inevitability. Driving on errands is an inevitability. They see a household as an inevitable traffic source and usually don't think about offices as sources of traffic even though they "collect" trips from many household nodes.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nicholas said:

Those apartments actually don't look bad.  Doesn't look like any retail though which is a bummer.

Retail probably doesn't make sense here.  The area is nearly 100% residential and medical office buildings.   No foot traffic at all.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...