Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

It may be because I live in Elizabeth - but I like the direction this is heading. This corner needs to be lined with retail and restaurants along both Caswell and 7th. Hopefully the office component means higher quality materials than stick built apartments that won’t age well. And to echo some concerns - this corner doesn’t NEED apartments (and I promise I’m not a nimby). It needs street level retail and restaurants. 

Say what you will about the ECA, and I agree that they slow down and even torpedo projects at times. But I’m ok with a slow approach here and ECA having a voice. All of the retail mentioned across the street has been great for the community vibrancy - and if Asana is definitely on board I think this corner could become a greater asset to our neighborhood.

Also - @atlrvr sandwich max is incredible!! No punch line there. The dollar general is fair game ;)

Edited by Urban Cowboy
  • Like 4

On 3/30/2019 at 6:43 AM, Urban Cowboy said:

Say what you will about the ECA, and I agree that they slow down and even torpedo projects at times. But I’m ok with a slow approach here and ECA having a voice. 

Elizabeth follows the conditional rezoning approach, while Plaza Central follows a by-right zoning approach. Both have strong markets for urban redevelopment, but each have very different planning approaches. Former Councilwoman and Elizabeth resident killed the plan-based overlay for her petition-loving area.

• Sad 1

Drove by CPCC yesterday and saw this big demo project.   Evidently a couple of buildings are coming down (plus they had asbestos) and a larger building will be built in its place. 

http://www.cpcc.edu/facilitiesservices/hard-hat-updates/terrell-lrc-pease-project-update/central-high-annexes-terrell-lrc-pease-abatement-and-demolition

I was surprised to see this.

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2836 (2).JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Drove by CPCC yesterday and saw this big demo project.   Evidently a couple of buildings are coming down (plus they had asbestos) and a larger building will be built in its place. 

http://www.cpcc.edu/facilitiesservices/hard-hat-updates/terrell-lrc-pease-project-update/central-high-annexes-terrell-lrc-pease-abatement-and-demolition

I was surprised to see this.

Isn't that the ding dang diddly library?

Anybody attend the meeting last night? Does anyone have additional renderings or details?  It would be great if they could still incorporate some sort of flatiron feature similar to what Faison proposed.  Would Crescent build this on Spec?  I hope this moves forward.  I would much rather see this than a fenced-off dirt lot.  I think it is a great office location.  I think the views from the top floor will be phenomenal. 

Elizabeth.jpg.9249317b559acccbb9e9157f4da95a93.jpg

Edited by J-Rob

Hmmm and who was the contractor for the Levine garage that is still not opened anyone know?  I am telling you I really dont like this precast preformed garages snapped together and even Tryon Place is like that.  But not the huge Lincoln Harris mega garage though. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Does anyone have an update on the CPCC 7th Street Parking Deck? (Student deck 3). It's been closed since late 2017 for structural repairs. Based on what I can find, Rodgers was the contractor and there are concerns with welding and grouting (not saying Rodgers is to blame). Allegedly, another deck owned by the city (CATS) and built by the same group had similar issues. Considering this was publicly funded and built on Mecklenburg County land, it would be nice to know the project status and the financial remedy. There was a deck in Cherokee that had the same faulty construction, and there was a partial collapse. The Cherokee Nation ended up suing Metromont and some others for $4 million. Hopefully Mecklenburg Co or CPCC (who leases the deck) is getting some sort of payment for loss of use.

So this is second hand information, take with a grain of salt. 

The fabricator of the precast put up decks with the same design in lots of places, including the two you mentioned. They are all having the same problem with planks deflecting and separating. Lots of lawsuits, etc, but I've heard the cpcc deck is actively being fixed and should be open soon.

I didn't hear anything about monetary damages and whatnot. 

(Super thankful I wasn't involved with any of them)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

So this is second hand information, take with a grain of salt. 

The fabricator of the precast put up decks with the same design in lots of places, including the two you mentioned. They are all having the same problem with planks deflecting and separating. Lots of lawsuits, etc, but I've heard the cpcc deck is actively being fixed and should be open soon.

I didn't hear anything about monetary damages and whatnot. 

(Super thankful I wasn't involved with any of them)

I *just* noticed a sign that said something like Construction Zone on a door on 7th Street I swear wasn’t there 3 days ago. Maybe it really is getting fixed. 

12 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Anybody attend the meeting last night? Does anyone have additional renderings or details?  It would be great if they could still incorporate some sort of flatiron feature similar to what Faison proposed.  Would Crescent build this on Spec?  I hope this moves forward.  I would much rather see this than a fenced-off dirt lot.  I think it is a great office location.  I think the views from the top floor will be phenomenal. 

Elizabeth.jpg.9249317b559acccbb9e9157f4da95a93.jpg

I was at the meeting. They are doing what they call a flatiron at the corner, but I wasn't impressed. With more work, it could look good, but does not right now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

CPCC building at corner of Charlottetown and 4th and new Novant Medical building today. 

NovantCPCC.jpg

Not like we need more posts complaining about power lines, but jeeze. You know it's a problem when they start causing artifacting errors in your picture.

Edited by tozmervo
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Not like we need more posts complaining about power lines, but jeeze. You know it's a problem when they start causing artifacting errors in your picture.

this was my phone camera I left home today with my point and shoot camera. LOL 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...