Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

I guess the reason I mentioned something about parking is simply because that is what the news was touting. On each of the major stations that I saw, they stated the reason for Athens shutting down was because of CPCC's growth and its need for additional parking. I just assumed that was meaning that they would put another parking option there.

If it is additional classroom space than I am a bit more relieved.

A2

I moved the answer on the Party Reflections site to this topic:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10211

That is where most of the discussion of that area has taken place.

Feel free to browse that topic, to, as I'm sure there a number of other questions on that area have come up in the past.

Thanks again for joining us, Conformity.

I guess the reason I mentioned something about parking is simply because that is what the news was touting. On each of the major stations that I saw, they stated the reason for Athens shutting down was because of CPCC's growth and its need for additional parking. I just assumed that was meaning that they would put another parking option there.

If it is additional classroom space than I am a bit more relieved.

A2

Yep, I remember the stations and maybe even the newspaper saying that a parking deck would replace athens...but CPCC has never said that. My guess is that the newpaper and tv reporters were just repeating what the Athens staff said as fact without cross checking with CPCC.

I moved the answer on the Party Reflections site to this topic:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10211

That is where most of the discussion of that area has taken place.

Feel free to browse that topic, to, as I'm sure there a number of other questions on that area have come up in the past.

Thanks again for joining us, Conformity.

Thanks for doing that.

It is entirely possible that they'll just raze it now for surface parking, and that is what the Athenians are talking about. I don't see funds to build a new classroom building yet, so that could be the approach. I'll bet CPCC offered them to go in across the street in the bottom of that parking deck, which is under construction now. That would allow them to move without waiting the years for construction of a new building.

Frankly, it just sounds like Mr. Pourlos is using this to retire, and he's just deflecting the negative attentions onto The Man or The Machine.

The family that owns Athen's stated that it would be replaced with a parking deck. The news also confirmed this.

Edit*

After looking at Dubone has posted, I am less convinced it will be a parking deck. I remember thinking how horrible of an idea it would be! Maybe the family was confused. And the news seems to always be wrong ;)

Edited by Seabreeze

Yes, that must be what it is. But I think Athens is crazy to not take a storefront in the parking deck across the street. It is basically only a block from the large residential-hotel-Whole Foods project that is anchoring the Grubb Elizabeth Ave development. They are bound to experience growth in their business if they stay in the area.

I will personally miss Athens late night adventures. Growing up in charlotte and on Athens grilled cheese and fries it makes me sick to think CPCC gets another horribly designed wannabe 18th century looking building. The president at CP must be so proud of himself as he gets to have another hideous building that doesn

It is entirely possible that they'll just raze it now for surface parking, and that is what the Athenians are talking about. I don't see funds to build a new classroom building yet, so that could be the approach.

I'm 95% sure that is the situation....it is being cleared and will be used as surface parking until the new academic building goes up on that site.

Can someone ask to buy their brand?

Historic businesses often have new life with new owners.

This sounds crazy, but a perfect location would be in the bottom of Courtside. People could walk over from the Arena events and from the bars on College street. Although I'm not sure how cool I would be with being kept up all night as an owner.

As to incremental development, Elizabeth Village at Hawthorne and Independence is a combination of 5 different new buildings, 2 historic quadraplexes and a 1928 single family house. 41 units on 1.4 acres between 110K and 280K (3 years ago). It avoids 90 and 180 degree organizations of buildings and spaces (layering and deflection ala Europe). That feaure combined with the historic fabric grounds the development in things that are real to all of us....the historic centers us and well designed spaces engage us and make us acutely aware of all that we are capable of as humans. Sound weighty....walk a crappy development and then walk a great one....if you're talking about development in a web forum, you are someone who will feel these things.....feel the difference.

There are other examples, but truth be told........time is a very difficult thing to replicate (incremental development). The incremental development of great urban centers of the industrial revolution and earlier is very difficult to achieve today for a variety of reasons. That however is not reason not to strive.

Posts like this give me hope for Charlotte. Since the city has decided to be shaped by developers, it's nice to meet a developer who harbors a respect for people and context.

I like Elizabeth Village. Of course it's not a retail project -- and our retailers value modern spaces more than charm -- and there are no worthwhile buildings on your parcel -- so I'll be interested to see what emerges. My personal dream would be a modern tribute to the house-turned-store.

Thanks again for taking the time to interact with us dreamers and critics and junkies.

• 4 weeks later...

i hope not before next spring as george clooney & crew will be in town to film his next movie. they will be filming @ memorial stadium... i was told the look of the stadium is a big reason they're coming to charlotte.

Edited by cinco

i hope not before next spring as george clooney & crew will be in town to film his next movie. they will be filming @ memorial stadium... i was told the look of the stadium is a big reason they're coming to charlotte.

Sorry, a little off topic, but interesting -

The name of the movie is "Leatherheads", about the early days of pro football in the 1920s. Apparently, Universal's been trying to make this movie for almost a decade. Of course, Clooney will direct, produce and star. Looks like his leading lady will be Renee Zellweger.

I haven't been following CPCC closely or anything, and it may have been discussed before, but I did not realize they plan to demolish Memorial Stadium. Not sure I like that too much. Guess it depends on what they build in its place.

For some reason (possibly historical reasons) I thought CPCC changed its plans to demolish Memorial and Grady Cole. I thought I heard that. I could be wrong.

I've seen various plans for that area, and the best I remember the Memorial Stadium site will likely be replaced with ~6 academic buildings, and the Grady Cole center will be replaced with a more modern sports complex that will include the relocated Meck. Aquatic Center (MAC)....the timeframe though was origianlly proposed in the 2020-2030 range.