Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

I believe there is still risk that Memorial Stadium be torn down for academic space, as this rendering depicts:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/evcz2...wbrf/CPCC-b.gif

I used to be very much for tearing down this stadium, with the land going to the academic campus. The reasons were that the creekbed could be reopened, as shown above, for water quality, and that the stadium is deteriorating, and losing millions of dollars per year.

My current feeling is that the academic buildings for CPCC should be creatively built around the stadium where the ugly Grady Cole center is and along 7th over the ugly parking facilities. They stadium provides a great old venue for high school football games, and maybe eventually a college football team. I also think that CPCC can reasonably build a little taller to make up for scarce land, and also start participating in mixed-use projects along Elizabeth Ave district toward Presby Hospital.

I must say, that it is a significant validation of the benefits of keeping this stadium that Hollywood sees value in it.

I believe there is still risk that Memorial Stadium be torn down for academic space, as this rendering depicts:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/evcz2...wbrf/CPCC-b.gif

I used to be very much for tearing down this stadium, with the land going to the academic campus. The reasons were that the creekbed could be reopened, as shown above, for water quality, and that the stadium is deteriorating, and losing millions of dollars per year.

My current feeling is that the academic buildings for CPCC should be creatively built around the stadium where the ugly Grady Cole center is and along 7th over the ugly parking facilities. They stadium provides a great old venue for high school football games, and maybe eventually a college football team. I also think that CPCC can reasonably build a little taller to make up for scarce land, and also start participating in mixed-use projects along Elizabeth Ave district toward Presby Hospital.

I must say, that it is a significant validation of the benefits of keeping this stadium that Hollywood sees value in it.

It is also at one end of a great urban park that is slowly being chipped away -- this park and whole public use area used to be far larger. John Nolen designed Independence park and its great stonework, along with the stonework of Memorial Stadium, is refreshing among all these newer, and many boring, buildings. The uses of the park across from the stadium include soccer games that I drive by all the time, the stadium is great for large high school football games...to lose this means we have no municipal space like this other than BofA and high school venues.

Edited by Charlotte_native

Elizabeth Ave seems to be struggling, although I realize this isn't for business or location issues, but still. Hopefully that spot can get a nice new local restaurant when things start picking up with the Whole Foods, Hotel and condo tower.

A good friend of mine owns Visulite. A lot of the businesses on Elizabeth Ave have been struggling since Grubb aquired everything in a multi-block radius and moved most of the businesses out and tore many of the buildings down. The delays in getting their big project started have taken a toll on the small folks in the area. I'm not saying Grubb did a bad thing, but facts are facts. Vacant buildings and parking lots don't really make a very condusive business environment.

Lord I miss Tonic...

Why did he tear the buidings down. As I said in the other thread, that practice should be banned! Tear the buildings down when the permits and contracts are signed for the replacement buildings. Argh.

Or why push Tonic out two years before any action on thier site...? And they were pushed, lawsuit and all.

I know Grubb had nothing to do with Athens but with Athens and Anderson's closing shop this hood's landmarks are dropping like flys. Add in 7th with the potential to loose Jack's and Visart. Who knows how Visulite is doing. It's starting to look scarey. Developers in Elizabeth need to take note and start doing more to prevent potential closures. What's next? The Double Door?

Edited by appatone

I know Grubb had nothing to do with Athens but with Athens and Anderson closing shop this hood's landmarks are dropping like flys. Add in 7th with the potential to loose Jack's and Visart. Who knows how Visulite is doing. It's starting to look scarey. Developers in Elizabeth need to take note and start doing more to prevent potential closures. What's next? The Double Door?

Anderson's is closing?

Burger King just applied for their permit to begin building their new location on 4th St.....this will allow for the Whole Foods/towers to begin once the site is clear on Elizabeth.

Also, in today's CBJ table talk, it was mentioned that Clay Grubb is presenting the week to Whole Foods, what he hopes is the final store design. They need to sign off on the design, so that they can proceed with the detailed architecture and construction documents.

Who knows how Visulite is doing.

They are doing fine. Not spectacular, but fine. They have been anxiously awaiting the development, especially the residential component, to get built. They are fine because of their larger, national and regional acts. Nights with local entertainment tend to be tough since they are not located within a residential area right now. They have also suplimented their live music with some DJ nights and sports on big screens.

Anderson's closing is the owner's decision to close it. He is not being forced to close, and it was stated in the news articles that he will be keeping his catering services open. He owns his property not Grubb. Just to clarify for some of you who may not know.

i hope not before next spring as george clooney & crew will be in town to film his next movie. they will be filming @ memorial stadium... i was told the look of the stadium is a big reason they're coming to charlotte.

Did they decide against filming here? The article on this movie (apparently, you broke the story about 2 weeks before the newspapers :) ) has it being filmed in either W-S, Greensboro, Statesville, Salisbury or Spencer.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...es/16018747.htm

Did they decide against filming here? The article on this movie (apparently, you broke the story about 2 weeks before the newspapers :) ) has it being filmed in either W-S, Greensboro, Statesville, Salisbury or Spencer.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...es/16018747.htm

they are DEFINITELY still filming in charlotte.... they love memorial stadium and all intentions are to use it. they are scouting all of the above mentioned cities and will end up using a few of them. from what i've heard they are not scouting charlotte as it is past that point... it is a definite. whats funny - is when that article came out they were @ memorial stadium that day (not clooney, though).

Edited by cinco

This quote was from the new Uptown CLT magaine. It is interesting that Grubb is no rethinking adding a arts theatre, but I would assume it won't be regal.

Steve Biggerstaff provided information for this article on behalf of Grubb Properties. He sites significant additional components currently under discussion: an upscale arts theatre, a boutique hotel, high-rise condominiums, a range of apartment options and deck parking.