Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

One of the early site plans I saw for the Bo was a qausi-urban BK. It was 2-stories and have a drive through, though no-onsite parking. Customer could use the adjacent parking deck. Think SouthPark McDonald's pulled up to the street, with an entrance to the sidewalk along 4th, and no parking spaces.

That said, what I saw was about 3-4 years ago, and obviously a lot has changed. Also, like the midtown Wendy's, the BK can really control what gets built as it has a very valuable lease agreement.

It looks like the Central High School building exterior restoration has started.

The building was built in the 1920s, but sometime in the 60s, it got a terrible refacing that cheapened the look. Now that CPCC has more funds, and is attempting to improve the gravitas (that's for you Voyager :) ) of its campus, they are trying to put back the original facade design of the building.

Right now, you can barely tell that the building is important, or even old. I hope they come back with something that is worthy of such a prominent location.

http://inside.cpcc.edu/facilitiesservices/...t_updates/8.htm

Here is what the building looked like from 1923-1959, which they will attempt to restore:

http://inside.cpcc.edu/CHSearlydays.htm

centralhighschoolv2.jpg

I'm glad to see that alumni were involved in the fundraising for this.

Next week's CBJ talks about this development. Crosland is no longer partnering with Branch/The Boulevard Co on their part of this area. It will now be David Krug. Does anyone know other examples of his projects?

After Branch's major disappointments in South End, I am really not happy that he is involved in 7th Street. I sure hope he doesn't make it a tacky mess like he is doing on "Showplace", and those ugly townhouses planned for the Bland street area.

Pecan point was done by Krug I believe and the building on Providence outbound just beyond Pecan with the added on columns and I think he was responsible for the redo of what was Charles Greyson spasalon, now a restaurant...

I can't think of anything that sticks out as great that I remember him doing.

Pecan Point is terrible in siteplan, but the buildings are fairly nice, and very reminiscent of old store fronts in NC. In fact, they are almost identical in design to most of the storefront buildings on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. But by having the parking lot in front, it completely discount's the project's positives. Did the zoning or city mandate, or did he push for that despite the city?

Pecan point was done by Krug I believe and the building on Providence outbound just beyond Pecan with the added on columns and I think he was responsible for the redo of what was Charles Greyson spasalon, now a restaurant...

I can't think of anything that sticks out as great that I remember him doing.

I'm at least glad it is a developer in Elizabeth who is part of the plan. Between Conformity and Krug, hopefully, there will be a lot of attention to what is good for the neighborhood, rather than semi-outsider developers swooping in for a buck.

Pecan Point is terrible in siteplan, but the buildings are fairly nice, and very reminiscent of old store fronts in NC. In fact, they are almost identical in design to most of the storefront buildings on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. But by having the parking lot in front, it completely discount's the project's positives. Did the zoning or city mandate, or did he push for that despite the city?

I'm at least glad it is a developer in Elizabeth who is part of the plan. Between Conformity and Krug, hopefully, there will be a lot of attention to what is good for the neighborhood, rather than semi-outsider developers swooping in for a buck.

To Krug's credit, the way he has told me the story.....he wanted those buildings on the street back when he did Pecan Point. He says that he couldn't convince the city to do it. I believe it. The 80's was an eternity ago relative to progressive planning in Charlotte.

Burger King's building permit was approved for their new location on 4th.....once it is built, the old one can be demolished, and the Whole Foods/condo tower/hotel project can begin.

The rezoning to allow the WF/condo project has now been pushed to January, but I still suspect we will see a late winter/early spring start on construction.

This quote was from the new Uptown CLT magaine. It is interesting that Grubb is no rethinking adding a arts theatre, but I would assume it won't be regal.

Thanks for the update altrvr. I'm wondering on the theatre though whether "arts theatre" means film or live. Grubb had worked on a possible home for NCDT back in the beginning.

Edited by appatone

Also, Grubb has signed Anyime Fitness, to the final spot in 1523 Elizabeth Ave. This is the vacant spot in the new building between Volare and Carpe Diem. Anytime Fitness is a 24-hour fitness club, and will be about 4,800 sq. ft. (pretty small by gym standards).

It's nice to have something non-restaurant related, though a restaurant district isn't a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised that someone hasn't mentioned this already - or maybe on a different topic and I missed it ... but, in the CBJ from the 15th the front page story suggests/hints/threatens that Grubb may scale back his Elizabeth plans b/c of the MTC's decision on the streetcar. Apparently Grubb, CPCC and Presby Hospital are getting together to lobby/pressure the city on the ridiculous schedule for this line.

I can't link the article b/c it's for paid subscribers.

In that article, the Mayor said that he agrees with them that the line is important, but that there is very little chance it can be sped up.

I was hoping that article was saying that he was bringing a coalition together to help fund it in part, or agree to an extra tax in those areas, but he wasn't. Since the MTC ignored the dozens of people who spoke out for the project last month, I doubt they will pay attention to an article in the middle of the business journal.

Frankly, I think the streetcar's best hope would be to try to cobble together local funds for it, by ad space, and STIFs along the way. That is how Portland did it. It is beyond me what CATS doesn't even try to do this, even to just offset the other elements of it.

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I had a question in regards to the Streetcar. If the Streetcar is supposed to move down Beatties Ford and through Uptown along Trade, where does the Streetcar transition in Elizabeth to Central Avenue on out to Eastland?

Well the most sense would be to go down Elizabeth/Hawthorne/7th-Monroe/Pecan under Independence/Central

I believe there might be an alternate or either this is an alternate. There is some discussion on this forum about this, but I couldn't find an exact link by searching.

Could someone explain to me...in a nutshell....why this project has been in the works for 7 years and nothing has been built yet? And please don't tell me to read the entire thread to find out.....sorry but I don't have time to read through 16 pages of posts. I'm just hoping someone can give me the quick and dirty condensed version. ;)

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

The quick and dirty version is that we don't have enough money to build everything at once. They are going to build the North and Northeast lines first before they do the Streetcar. At least that is the current plan, and as we all know around here plans change often. So stay tuned.

I'm sorry....I guess I should have clarified. I was referring to the Elizabeth development project by Grubb.

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

I'm sorry....I guess I should have clarified. I was referring to the Elizabeth development project by Grubb.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Grubb's property is to be built and coincide with the development of the Streetcar as the Streetcar construction could cause complications with the right of way, setbacks, etc...if they are built at separate times. Reading the latest article in the CBJ, it sounds like Grubb is at a point where they may have to move forward with their development should the Streetcar construction be tabled another 14 years under the current transit plans. I believe Grubb is trying to amass private funding in order to move up the timetable for the Streetcar construction, but should he move forward prior to that construction timeline, it sounds as though the scale of his development will be cut back considerably which is unfortunate for this area of town.