Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

I enjoy going out for drinks on weekends in and around Uptown, where would you suggest I go in the Elizabeth area? I've been to Jackalope and the likes, but what are good evening hangouts in the neighborhood?

Philosophers Stone on the corner of 7th and Pecan, Penguin and Thomas Street Tavern on Thomas Street.

Penguin and TST aren't in Elizabeth, they're in Plaza-Midwood on the other side of Independence.

I would also recommend Philosopher's Stone, though.

Obviously, but same general area and they were asking for places to go. Lounges and clubs in Elizabeth proper are few and far between.

Edited by Charlotte_native

• 3 weeks later...

The old Burger King is closed and the new one is open for business. When do you think that demolition will begin on the gas station and old BK? Let's get the new Whole Foods started!

In other news, there is a new sign up oustide for the new Starbucks that is replacing where Anderson's used to be. It appears that they are managing to add a drive through along the side of the building.

Elizabeth is going to continue to keep on blowing up (pun intended)!

What's going in next to the Petro Express? Noticed they demolished one building and the lot behind that it that's full of grass and appears to have old cement curbs of an ancient parking lot and is surrounded by a fence has a new pile of fresh dirt in the middle of it. Another medical building or is this part of the Cherry neighborhood redevelopment? It is just a block over.

That's pretty sad about the Starbuck drive through.....the best chance at pure urbanism, and they want to stick a drive-thru....disgusting.

The site next to Petro Express I believe will be home to the relocated Original House of Pancakes.

Next to Petro Express will be the relocated Original Pancakes, not from South Park but from South End. It will also be an ABC store, relocated from Little Sugar Creek Greenway next to CMC.

Having a drive-thru at Starbucks is pretty bad, but I guess if it helps them bridge the gap in an urban building until the walking market shows up, then I am okay with it. Really, at this point, we seem to be dealing with the same problem at all retailers in the area, in that there isn't much local walking traffic. So we either don't get any retailers (pretty much what has been happening on Elizabeth Ave for a while now), or we get anchor retailers like Starbucks that have to have drive thrus to sustain business. At least the building is fundamentally urban, and the drive through will simply be a window on the side of that building. So the drive thru doesn't take away from its walkability and proximity to the sidewalk, but it is still is sad that this area can't yet be supported walk-up traffic.

As for the BK, the new building is awful, but I guess no worse than the old building. It is good to have the re-location behind us so the Whole Foods can finally start. I'm sure they'll be starting it as soon as their permits are organized. I still hope you all are boycotting them with me, though. Tasty flame-broiled beef with melty cheese on top be damned.

Next to Petro Express will be the relocated Original Pancakes, not from South Park but from South End. It will also be an ABC store, relocated from Little Sugar Creek Greenway next to CMC.

Having a drive-thru at Starbucks is pretty bad, but I guess if it helps them bridge the gap in an urban building until the walking market shows up, then I am okay with it. Really, at this point, we seem to be dealing with the same problem at all retailers in the area, in that there isn't much local walking traffic. So we either don't get any retailers (pretty much what has been happening on Elizabeth Ave for a while now), or we get anchor retailers like Starbucks that have to have drive thrus to sustain business. At least the building is fundamentally urban, and the drive through will simply be a window on the side of that building. So the drive thru doesn't take away from its walkability and proximity to the sidewalk, but it is still is sad that this area can't yet be supported walk-up traffic.

As for the BK, the new building is awful, but I guess no worse than the old building. It is good to have the re-location behind us so the Whole Foods can finally start. I'm sure they'll be starting it as soon as their permits are organized. I still hope you all are boycotting them with me, though. Tasty flame-broiled beef with melty cheese on top be damned.

Where was the Petro Express before?

Don't you think that the student traffic from CPCC would increase business? I know the Bojangles they have on campus is ALWAYS packed. You know how students love their coffee. Also, this Starbucks will be right next to Presbyterian and all of the new medical offices they have built so I think that their traffic will definitely pick up.

Where was the Petro Express before?

It is at the corner of 4th and Independence Blvd.

The Petro Express stays at 4th and Independence. The Southend Original Pancake House moves next door, and the ABC store moves next door. The BK relocated from Elizabeth and Travis to 4th and Travis. Lots of relocations to keep track of, but Petro Express stays put.

This starbucks is enough distance away from CPCC to not have a constant stream of people there. I do think it will help, as does the Presby traffic. But obviously the Starbucks manager/franchisee/corporation/whoever has decided that this location needs a drive thru.