Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

This is truly a kick-ass project; the kind of urban project we all wish to see in our cities. I can't wait for construction [photo] updates once East Park District begins to get significant mass. Thanks for posting these images; the map helps us understand better the significance of this project and how well it will help connecting Uptown with its nearby neighborhoods.

Edited by Raleigh-NC

• 6 months later...

dwtnc.....well, thank you.....i accepted the compliment on behalf of Clay Grubb since I worked on the intial design and marketing package for the Elizabeth Ave. project.

It will be a tremendous development, IMO second only to a few blocks of downtown in terms of urbanity. The most challenging aspect of the project will to be convince office users to take space in the project. I wouldn't wait on the residential portions though....they could still be 4-5 years away.......look for the next building announcement for the project sometime this summer.....plus the parking deck for the theatre and Whole's Food should start in a couple of months, with those project finish up in about 2 years from now.

Edited by atlrvr

dwtnc.....well, thank you.....i accepted the compliment on behalf of Clay Grubb since I worked on the intial design and marketing package for the Elizabeth Ave. project.

It will be a tremendous development, IMO second only to a few blocks of downtown in terms of urbanity.  The most challenging aspect of the project will to be convince office users to take space in the project.  I wouldn't wait on the residential portions though....they could still be 4-5 years away.......look for the next building announcement for the project sometime this summer.....plus the parking deck for the theatre and Whole's Food should start in a couple of months, with those project finish up in about 2 years from now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlrvr, you are full of surprises. I almost bought at Gardens on Glenwood, a Grubb project, when I moved to Raleigh. Very usable plans, less of the loft look. I'm just not sure I'm ready for sleek cabinets and no door on the bedroom, I'd have to keep it neat!

I am finding from my research that I like the midrise projects best in terms of the units, but my what a view from 20, 30, 50 stories up. Decisions, decisions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

altrvr...any updates on a timetable for the Elizabeth streetcar construction? Last i heard construction was slated for some time this year. I heard (on NPR I think) that it will take 7 years to complete. :blink:

Streetcar construction won't begin until the Southeast rapid transit mode is selected (either BRT or LRT), this should happen this fall. Regardless, this portion of Elizabeth will see a streetcar only line. As part of streetscape improvements, the utility lines are to be buried along Elizabeth, textured crosswalks will be installed at the Independence and Hawthorne intersections, the road repoured thicker (to accomodate a street car and pedestrian lighting installed) This is supposed to start next year. Actual streetcar track installation would be in 2008 (best case scenario) and would begin operation in mid-2009. The intial segment will be from JCSU to Plaza/Central.

I went to the Streetcar public meeting a few months ago, and there were no indications that construction would begin this year. They are still holding public meetings on the project throughout the year, and haven't begun to go through all the fed funding and design processes.

You might be thinking of the streetscape project along elizabeth ave

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+E...r/elizabeth.htm

I think they are holding on that project to coordinate with the streetcar project, though.

There are so many projects around that corridor, it will be unrecognizable in a few years:

Grubb projects

City Streetscape project

CPCC construction and renovations

Little Sugar Creek Greenway

Roundabout at Kings and Eliz

Utility burial

The retail portion was leased to a restaurant, but the Red Star defaulted on their lease at Latta Pavillion, so Grubb terminated it's lease agreement for the restaurant on Elizabeth (the same company owned both restaurants)......like I mentioned though, they office will be the touger sell, like everywhere in Charlotte at the moment..

I honestly don't know.....the firm I'm with now is much less involved with this project, so I'm not priveleged to the same amount of information that I once was :( I would assume that there are quite a few people interested, since the building is quite attractive, there are some big anchors signed to future retail, and it is next to Carpe Diem.....

• 2 weeks later...

Update:I went to a meeting at CPCC the other night where a Grubb representative gave an update on the Elizabeth Ave. District (the new name for the disrtict - the East Park name has been done away with). I was writing shorthand notes in complete darkness and had to go over my notes later but I think I have some good info. We should all be able to expect an Elizabeth Ave. website up this summer. I

thanks for the update atlrvr! this street will really make a difference to charlotte's image, and will be a major destination for street retail and intown retail. keep us posted!

I must say that i hadn't been thinking of this as "east park" ever, and it was a bit of a contrived name. I'm so glad they went with the more pre-suburb style name.

The retail development at elizabeth and independence is an interesting beast. on one hand, it is the most vibrant retail in that area. and cuisine malaya consistently gets good reviews, and is really nice inside. the structures of most of the complex are older industrial buildings. Cuisine malaya's building is an old curved-roof fur store from fifty years ago. From the outside, though, the renovations made it is monotonous tacky pink stucco "building" and it should definitely be re-faced again if it will fit into this district comfortably.

Here are a few photos i took last weekend for a visual aid to some of the buildings you referenced in your post.

18266825-L.jpg

18266838-L.jpg

18266726-L.jpg

18266733-L.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Insider News- the building, 1523 Elizabeth Avenue (pictured above on the 2nd page of this thread) is being looked at and pursued greatly by the Aveda Institute. When I worked at Aveda they had the floorplans and were already in the stages of planning where the departments would go. They are looking for a move-in date around November, though Aveda does have a way of postponing (the ceo Terri Blackwell of Beauty Basics, who owns and operates the AVeda Institute, Charlotte is heavily concentrating on his new location in Texas) as he is still analyzing the market here intensely. But the first floor would be retail, there will be over 80 student stations (the current school only has 25) for the cosmetology department, the manicure/pedicure area will finally be provided (limited space has suspended this program in the current SouthEnd location in the Park Avenue Builing). The other floors will be used for administrative classroom and the esthiology spa, on the top level, with a spectacular view of uptown Charlotte.

Aveda Institute is a premeire Cosmetology and esthiology school that offers Greatly reduced services from students which are trained by several great instructors. mens cuts are 9 bucks, ladies 10, children 8... facials range from 20-38 dollars, and the best part. They only use Aveda products.

Edited by Seabreeze

• 4 months later...

Grubb's website is reporting that 1523 is leased up now. It looks like Volare will be moving there resaurant from Myers Park to the building also there will be a wine shop called Vinoteca and a wine and martini bar called Loft 1523. The information is here.

So hopefully we will see another Elizabeth building going up soon.