Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

That seems odd if Grubb is the one asking for a letter writing campaign. That sounds like a last resort thing to me. However, I wonder if they are just skape-goating Grubb for not meeting some excessive demand or something. No matter what, though, despite the negatives of Whole Foods in general, it is still a loss for Elizabeth to not have a grocery store like this.

Elizabeth Ave between Kings and Charlottetowne is scheduled to be closed starting this Sunday running through till August 9th. The information I was given states it is to install 2 new chiller pipes for CPCC. I hope that while the road is closed they go ahead with the planned streetscape improvements and possibly imbed rail for the future streetcar.

According to CPCC, they are finally starting to do the construction work for the pedscape project, and the associated utilities burial and the track-laying for the future streetcar. It was pretty much delayed by a year for unspecified reasons. But now that the CPCC construction projects are underway along Elizabeth Avenue, and Grubb theoretically starting soon on the next of his stuff, I guess it did make sense to wait, so as to not have the new pedscape torn up by construction.

That seems odd if Grubb is the one asking for a letter writing campaign. That sounds like a last resort thing to me. However, I wonder if they are just skape-goating Grubb for not meeting some excessive demand or something. No matter what, though, despite the negatives of Whole Foods in general, it is still a loss for Elizabeth to not have a grocery store like this.

I wonder if WF got word of Target coming in with groceries just down the street and got cold feet about the strength of the market for two grocers.

I did notice on the sitemap that they no longer are keeping the old house next to Volare. That is a big disappointment, as I though those few remaining old houses would stay, marking the original character of Elizabeth Avenue. That house has been standing since 1916 just to be torn down for a plaza!?! I am only okay with that if they move the house, which is attractive and seems well maintained.

P3122621.JPG

I did notice on the sitemap that they no longer are keeping the old house next to Volare. That is a big disappointment, as I though those few remaining old houses would stay, marking the original character of Elizabeth Avenue. That house has been standing since 1916 just to be torn down for a plaza!?! I am only okay with that if they move the house, which is attractive and seems well maintained.

P3122621.JPG

Isn't that someone's private law office?

Yes, but Grubb has it on his map as a plaza, so he might have optioned the land, or made other arrangements to buy it. Grubb has clearly listed other parcels as not available, but this one is simply shown as plaza open space. I would tend to think that Grubb would move the house, as it isn't so big to be that hard to move, but still, he really NEEDS to save it somehow! A well maintain house almost 100 years old is something worth keeping, period.

I sent an email to my favorite resturant Chipotle asking them to strongly consider opening a location in the future developement, it has everything they could need, near a college, near a hospital, good public transit, movie theater near by (aka a reason to go there other then work/living there), a hotel, and residential condos

Hopefully theyll go for it, when they move into a city they really move in fast, we have one right now, and two under construction (one on south blvd and one in Providence Plaza) I cannot wait... matthews is such a far drive

• 2 weeks later...

Should has two meanings. I believe it should be demolished, but also that it will likely be demolished. CPCC originally had Memorial Stadium demolished, too, restoring the creek and building a greenway connecting Little Sugar Creek to Independence Park. I believe now that the Memorial has been named historic, that it will remain, but that CPCC will try to build college buildings around it, by converting the parking lots around Memorial to buildings, and demolishing the Grady Cole center to put a larger building. The Memorial stadium and Grady Cole center land is controlled more by the county than CPCC, but since CPCC is primarily funded by the county, it will likely be in their own interest to cede that land to CPCC eventually rather than to fund the purchase of more land (which not only costs money, but takes land out of being taxable).

Should the Grady Cole Centre be demolished as part of the GPCC Master Plan?

On one of the master plans that I was looking at last night showed it being dimolished, but that was just one of the plans, so it could have easily changed. Another one of the maps showed that and the stadium being pretty much the only unchanged things on site.

Does it have any kind of history though? Besides hosting some pretty good concerts I can't think of anything off the top of my head. It was built in 1954 to replace the Charlotte Armory Arena but that seems to be it. It's a pretty ugly building that could definitely use some sort of remodeling.

On the house, I hope you are right, Spartan, but I could also see that as just an error in the 3D rendering.

On the Grady Cole center, my biggest problem with is that its orientation. By being turned like that, instead of being snug to the stadium or else snug to King's, it makes it take up much more valuable land. That means it would free up more valuable land by being torn down. The entirety of the CPCC campus other area buildings are on the axis of the downtown street grid, yet this one is turned off from it. Maybe Old King's was King's at the time it was built, or maybe it was something else, but in the end, it sticks out like a sore thumb on a map, and in real life it is unattractive enough to solidify the impression that it is a throw away building. It is a shame, though, as a 50 year old theater on a college campus would seem to be worth keeping otherwise.

Maybe they could build around it, but directly abutting it, in a zero lot line kind of way. They could carry Park Dr to a T intersection with King's to plan for the eventual 5th Street bridge of the creek. Then they could tear out the rest of Park Dr and use that space as a new building that takes away visibility to Grady Cole, but keeping the building itself. I don't know, though, how much is it worth saving? I'm almost to the point of saying 'if we didn't save this, why would we save that?'.

Here is a simplified siteplan to give the idea of what I'm saying.

post-670-1183977424_thumb.jpg

Does it have any kind of history though? Besides hosting some pretty good concerts I can't think of anything off the top of my head. It was built in 1954 to replace the Charlotte Armory Arena but that seems to be it. It's a pretty ugly building that could definitely use some sort of remodeling.

I guess my point was we can't ever seem to keep anything, historically significant or not. It is still a viable venue that is used for all kinds of events not just concerts. We seem to love tearing things down even before they are useless. It always used to serve as a good mid-sized venue for certain acts that bring more than 300 - 500 people that a club can hold, or however many now that Amos', Visulite, or Tremont can hold, but less than the old Independence Arena or new Arena. Other than Ovens, we don't have another 3000 person venue for concerts that I am aware of. Promoters from the smaller clubs sometimes use these venues for shows that will be too large for their places as well. If it is gone I certainly won't be surprised or upset, but it just seems like a waste.

Uh oh. It's already red brick...what's CP to do?!!? Maybe they can throw some columns on the front and pretend it was built in 1854.

You may see a page or two back, and then early in the thread. They had planned a streetscape project to beautify Elizabeth Avenue in conjunction with CPCC's master plan, Grubb's master plan, and the streetcar. The idea was to coordinate the money and the work so that the streetscape beautifications wouldn't be later torn up by future work. So they got organized, got money from CPCC and Grubb to bury the lines, got earmarked money to install the tracks when they repave the street instead of waiting of the approval of the transit line. CPCC is doing their Belk Building expansion and their Central High restoration while Grubb does some more of his projects. Meanwhile, the streets will be torn up doing new utilities to support density, burial of the electric utilities. Then you'll see better streets and sidewalks, bulb outs, including probably some street furniture (benches and fancy garbage cans and such), street lights, and probably bike lanes.

It had been planned for last year, as Grubb planned to build last year, and the rail line was suppose to be imminently under construction for a 2009 opening. But Grubb, CPCC and CATS projects all were delayed, so this project didn't need to be rushed.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+E...r/elizabeth.htm