Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about The Martha Washington Homes along Dotger off of 7th I pass by almost daily. They are not beautiful but always seem well maintained to me. I like their cottage style and they seem to coexist nicely with that increasingly pricey section of Elizabeth. Are they publicly run or could they face a fate similar to Morningside? In the same area I don't think The Grove at Elizabeth turned out very nice looking. I remember from the Dougie article that they were going for the "beachy miami" club style but the complex just looks tacky to me. I think The Forest Apts which were older and affordable and torn down to make way for The Grove actually looked nicer and fit in with the neighborhood better.

the martha washington homes were originally built as housing for nursing students - i believe they were built in the 20's or 30's. for as long as i can remember they have been very affordable, safe, and the location is great.

my first apt. was on dotger (in '94)... i loved it over there.

He leased space for his clothing store, Urban Evolution, when it was East Blvd. The building was demoed for Grubb's Latta Pavillion. He also leased space for TONIC night club on 4th, which was demoed after Gurbb took control. My understanding is he had long-term leases in effect, and essentially was bought out for far less their value plus improvements.

He currently owns the Lotus clothing stores, and is behind Caledon condos in Wesley Heights......In marketing and real estate terms, you could say that James is a leading indicator.

^ That's what James Funderburke argued....twice.....Grubb aparantly interprets things differently....twice...

Don't let James pretend that he wasn't paid quite well to leave. Where do you think he got the money to go from one clothing store to a string of them and a nightclub (tonic, now gone) to leasing the Menage space now and building Celadon?

It's funny this was brought back up because in today's Observer story about Trader Joes opening it talked about a potential "midtown" store. Out of boredom I went to a Trader Joes Forum where someone who said they were a TJ employee transfering to Charlotte for the Piper Glen store said a "midtown" store would be coming soon. It seems that if TJ is looking in that area then Grubb's spot is certainly an option.

I was wondering about The Martha Washington Homes along Dotger off of 7th I pass by almost daily. They are not beautiful but always seem well maintained to me. I like their cottage style and they seem to coexist nicely with that increasingly pricey section of Elizabeth. Are they publicly run or could they face a fate similar to Morningside? In the same area I don't think The Grove at Elizabeth turned out very nice looking. I remember from the Dougie article that they were going for the "beachy miami" club style but the complex just looks tacky to me. I think The Forest Apts which were older and affordable and torn down to make way for The Grove actually looked nicer and fit in with the neighborhood better.

The Forest Apartments were renovated and became The Grove. Exterior: Paint, mosaic tile, removal of ancient awnings, new fence, etc. Interior: Kitchens, bathrooms, HVAC, etc.

They were not demolished.

That would be AWESOME! I love Fresh Market. It is more about good food than necessarily organic food, but I think they are moving a bit toward having organic stuff. It actually is an experience to go and walk around and pick dinner. It is also a semi-local business, being from Greensboro.

Produce at Fresh Market is always very high quality. There have been many times when I have gone after having strawberries or other produce from the Teet, and I see the same at Fresh Market and it is significantly higher quality. They also have significantly better artisan bread and flowers than the Teet. Meats are very pricey, but I bet there is some added value there that I don't really want to think about.

I think if Trader Joes goes to Midtown, to satisfy the demand for the organic food, then having Fresh Market on Elizabeth will be a very good thing.

I would be a customer at both in addition to the UpTeet.

I forgot the name of it, but a new cafe has taken up residence in the space next to Starbucks at 7th and Pecan. Looks like they have built a little brick walled off area for outdoor dining. If only they would make the rest of the parking spaces out front of Starbucks seating area too instead of parking. I hope they survive since nothing else seems to make it in that location.

I stopped in and talked to the owner yesterday. The interior looks much better than Corner place. There are maybe 15 tables, and a small bar. The owner, from Long Island, has a lot of restaurant experience. He informed me that he previously owned an Italian restaurant and an Irish Pub. He says that Crisp will offer an upscale salad bar, soups, small pizzas and a wine/beer bar.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like this project got started with a BOOM!. Literally.

They started removing the underground fuel tanks from the old gas station at the corner of Elizabeth and Hawthorne today when one of them expolded injuring the back hoe operator.

Hopefully he will recover but it is good to finally see some movement on this site.

On a side note I have noticed some building permits popping up for a Sales Center in the 1523 building...I am guessing it will be a sales center for the condo tower that is part of this project.

I went by today to see what happen. The gas tank end was completely gone. I did not see the end any where.

The fire dept. was there and police tape and a police car.

I had 4 under ground gas tanks taken out a few years ago, and I am glade this did not happen. I am thinking that this company was not following safety procedures for removing gas tanks.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

Volare, the Italian restaurant below Loft 1523, has closed in Elizabeth. Too bad -- I never got to try this spot.

I am not surprised...I hardly ever saw anyone in there. Hopefully whatever replaces them will be more succusful and have better food than Volare. The other restarants along Elizabeth have been succusful...so if someone comes in with good food and service...and a nice vibe...then I think they will do well.

^ Me neither. The owner of Volare was recently quoted in the O saying he was going to be forced to shut down because of low traffic. While the street is not hopping yet neighboring establishments seem to be doing well so I would say the failure was a combination of factors.

The places that are doing well on that block have somewhat special circumstances:

Carpe Diem -- third location, its been in Charlotte and known as a GREAT restaurant for many years (at least 12, i think more). Myself included, many think it is the best restaurant in Charlotte when you combine food, attitude, and atmosphere.

Custom Shop -- owned by JJ Levine, he is from Charlotte, known all over Charlotte, was a wine distributor -- all around easy for him to bring in a crowd.

Don't know much about NoFo

For a random restaurant like Volare I think this area is far too deserted at night to be able to pull a crowd without some of the advantages above.