Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Ok, not a lot of positive news here lately, but I'll try to add some cheer.

The surface lots between Customhouse and NoFo will soon be filled with a retail building to house a restaurant called "Nothing But Noodles".

The tower that contained the Whole Foods may be going forward, without them signed....I don't know what they plan on doing to fill that space, or if it will be significantly redesigned.

There is also a new website for the whole Elizabeth Ave. project, and on it is a great virtual tour/fly through that includes flying through downtown with several new projects (oddly no Avenue though).

http://www.elizabethavenue.com/Tour.html

Here is an updated site plan. 4th St. seems to be given the shaft.

post-1289-1180641873_thumb.jpg

It appears that Grubb has finally applied for the building permit the restaurant to be built between NoFo and Elizabeth Creamery on the surface lot.

I reported earlier that they were planning Nothing But Noodles....so far, nothing to indicate that has changed, but it has been a while, so I wonder if it fell through and they found a new tenant.

Thanks for the update. At least there may be some progress. The slow pace is so frustrating. I like this street a lot. It's a rare block in Charlotte that has a growing urban feel and a great panoramic view of Uptown. It could really take off as a dense walkable storefront strip which is so desperately needed here!! If they would just get going already! Meanwhile Metropolitan which has some pluses but a lot urban unfriendly minuses is zooming ahead :angry:

Got an update from the City on the planned street improvements. City Council is set to vote next week on approving the construction contract with United Construction almost $9M to install streetcar tracks, overhead catenary poles, planting strips, street trees, irrigation, sidewalks, decorative street lighting, crosswalks, on street parking, bike lanes, relocate overhead utilities to underground, replace waterline/sewer along Elizabeth Ave from Kings Dr to Hawthorne. This will really transform this street and will be a precurser of the development to come. It is expected that the project will be complete in about 18 months from now.

Got an update from the City on the planned street improvements. City Council is set to vote next week on approving the construction contract with United Construction almost $9M to install streetcar tracks, overhead catenary poles, planting strips, street trees, irrigation, sidewalks, decorative street lighting, crosswalks, on street parking, bike lanes, relocate overhead utilities to underground, replace waterline/sewer along Elizabeth Ave from Kings Dr to Hawthorne. This will really transform this street and will be a precurser of the development to come. It is expected that the project will be complete in about 18 months from now.

Streetcar tracks? Is this just to be ready for a few years down the road? I didn't think, even with the best of scenarios, that streetcars would be coming until around 2013.

Sounds great on the rest of the plan. I REALLY want to see some movement in this area, it has been basically dormant for quite some time with only a smattering of activity or construction (other than CPCC).

Yep, streetcar tracks :) The city wants to do all of the upgrades at one time. Instead of making everything look pretty now and then come back 5 years from now and tear it all up for the streetcar. This will end up saving money for the taxpayers in the long run by doing this all at once as opposed to 2 seperate projects. The city actually purchased the physical rails for this section of Elizabeth Ave 2 years ago for $276K (pre Katrina pricing).

I am excited to see this project get closer to reality...but I am concerned about the local small businesses along Elizabeth. I hope they are able to survive the construction period. The small local retail estbalishments are what make Elizabeth Ave special to begin with. Would be a pity to lose them.

Edited by uptownliving

Yep, streetcar tracks :) The city wants to do all of the upgrades at one time. Instead of making everything look pretty now and then come back 5 years from now and tear it all up for the streetcar. This will end up saving money for the taxpayers in the long run by doing this all at once as opposed to 2 seperate projects. The city actually purchased the physical rails for this section of Elizabeth Ave 2 years ago for $276K (pre Katrina pricing).

1) you made my day!

2) I'm amazed to see/hear about smart planning like that -- it certainly didn't look good for the rail lines in Southend to have the Trolley start, and then be torn apart and thrown away.

:alc::yahoo:

I imagine the day I walk out of my condo, walk to Trade Street, hop on a streetcar and hit a show at Visulite!

Edited by Charlotte_native

If the streetcare tracks are going down, the power poles are going up, and all of the other streetscape improvements are going to be done, then why can't the start streetcare service sooner?

These are all of Grubb's efforts to get the streetcar moving to his development quicker. It's a good idea, and he has the money, better yet for Charlotte. If he can get the streetcars coming quicker, that means more business for him and his tennents. No updates of course on the streetcar being bumped up, but maybe Grubb knows something that we don't.

Even if they only run from College to Presby down Elizabeth (along with the part that runs through SouthEnd, that would be better than nothing and would spur more development and patronage of the businesses.

What they should do is run the the trolleys we already have, and retrofit them to the streetcars along Elizabeth. The only big problem I can see is they may be too large and not give enough room for vehicles. They could purchase more "modern" streetcars in the future in riding them simutaneously. Seems like a better plan then running the streetcars on LRT tracks.

What they should do is run the the trolleys we already have, and retrofit them to the streetcars along Elizabeth. The only big problem I can see is they may be too large and not give enough room for vehicles. They could purchase more "modern" streetcars in the future in riding them simutaneously. Seems like a better plan then running the streetcars on LRT tracks.

We talked about this idea about 6 months ago and I urged everyone to email our city officials and CATS and suggest it in full voice. Send an email and suggest this idea again...it couldn't hurt to put a bug in.

The city would then have to go ahead and install the infrastructure for electrification along Elizabeth, establish a yard for storage and maintenance of the vehicles when they're not running, and probably conduct extensive, expensive tests before running them in mixed traffic. That would likely add more than just a few million dollars onto the streetscape project, and for what, a half mile or so worth of track so trains can run back and forth?

I think that installing the rails and poles (no wires yet) for the streetcar along Elizabeth is the prudent, financially efficient thing to do. I predict that just the mere presence of rails in that half-mile of Elizabeth Avenue will add a lot of impetus towards completion of the entire line.

I think that installing the rails and poles (no wires yet) for the streetcar along Elizabeth is the prudent, financially efficient thing to do. I predict that just the mere presence of rails in that half-mile of Elizabeth Avenue will add a lot of impetus towards completion of the entire line.

This is great news.

Similar to how develpment was spurred along in Southend. Of course, the ultimate increase for retail was close to nil (very few people rode the trolly and few yet spent money in the adjacent retail). Hopefully, the retail that stuck it out will now benefit from light rail.

Just the idea of the trolly transformed S.End dramatically and right now Elizabeth is light years ahead of where S. End was before the trolly (or L. Rail) was promised.

Edited by urbandesign

• 4 weeks later...

To answer the last couple of posts.....

Chris Branch of The Boulevard Company will be presenting preliminary ideas for both the Roy White Flowers site and the three restaurants across 7th (P.S., LaTeaDa, and Jackalopes) at the next Elizabeth meeting on Dec. 11th (this is according to the Eliz. Comm. blogger). He will be seeking community feedback as he goes forward to get the properties rezoned.

I must say, I would be very concerned if I lived in that area, and would want to make my voice heard. He doesn't have the reputation of being the most sensative person to neighborhood opinions, as those who received their community meeting announcements a day before the meeting for Laurel Ridge can attest.

In my opinion, the redevelopment at this intersection will define the future of Elizabeth. I think its an inevitability that someone will redevelop them into something, so its important to get the voice out.

Elizabeth Ave is set to close on Monday, December 10 at 9am so that all of the improvements we have previously talked about on here can begin. The section from Kings Dr (CPCC) up to Hawthorne (Presbyterian Hospital) will be closed until October 1, 2008. It will really transform this section of Elizabeth, however I just hope that all of the local businesses along this street can survive the almost 1 year of construction and road closure.

The email sent out by CPCC today says that pedestrians will be allowed to cross Elizabeth Avenue at designated locations during construction so hopefully there will be access for the restaurants and stores.

Again, to summarize the work to be done, the email says:

"The end result of this project will be enhanced pedestrian access for Elizabeth Avenue, creation of additional greenscape, relocation of overhead utilities to underground utilities, and the installation of a streetcar line that will eventually run from Presbyterian Hospital toJohnson C. Smith University."

I would second that opinion atlrvr and encourage all Elizabeth residents to show up to this meeting and make your voice heard. There are a couple political heavy hitters that live in Elizabeth so whatever the Elizabeth Community Association approves or disapproves of is likely to be how City Council will vote on this rezoning.

The transformation on the street will be worth it. But this should be a clarion call to all who support that district to patronize the places there this year to keep them alive. I'm sure it is tough to get non-altruistic people there overcoming the inconveniences. Especially with other Starbucks, with ice cream not as tasty in winter, and so on.

I just hope that Grubb can get his act together to start his own construction during time. It will be hugely ironic that the whole streetscape project was intented to coincide with Grubb's construction to avoid tearing up the newly done street, but if he delays any longer, that won't be possible.

Elizabeth Ave is set to close on Monday, December 10 at 9am so that all of the improvements we have previously talked about on here can begin. The section from Kings Dr (CPCC) up to Hawthorne (Presbyterian Hospital) will be closed until October 1, 2008. It will really transform this section of Elizabeth, however I just hope that all of the local businesses along this street can survive the almost 1 year of construction and road closure.

Actually the closure is between Kings Drive and Charlottetown Avenue (formerly Independence) according to the City of Charlotte at their Street Closure Notices website http://www.charlottecentercity.org/images/...reet_notice.pdf

^ I hope the above is true. The idea that the entire street would be closed seems totally implausible to me. After cajoling businesses to start revitalizing the block and then choke off access is nonsensical. The lane restriction will still take a heavy toll I am afraid. The perception will be that Liz Ave is completely closed to traffic. People see construction and automatically equate it with a hassle and eat elsewhere. I lived on King St in Charleston during a streetscape project back in the 90s that partially closed stretches at a time. It killed one store and almost did in others. I hope people remain loyal during this needed improvement. I will make a point of patronizing these mostly locally owned places more frequently.

Edited by voyager12

Chris Branch of The Boulevard Company will be presenting preliminary ideas for both the Roy White Flowers site and the three restaurants across 7th (P.S., LaTeaDa, and Jackalopes) at the next Elizabeth meeting on Dec. 11th (this is according to the Eliz. Comm. blogger). He will be seeking community feedback as he goes forward to get the properties rezoned.

So.....did anyone go?