Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Does anyone know the details of the buyout of the Cavalier apartments on 7th/Monroe behind Doral apartments? According to a report I heard on WFAE 2 weeks ago the city finally got the funds to purchase this complex and will turn it into either a greenway or a park while giving the residents 9 months to move out. I spoke to a resident of the Cavalier complex and he sort of confirmed the 9 month time-frame but didn't seem to have a lot of details.

This will be great for the Chantilly neighborhood as it would cut off the drive-through and walk-through traffic of those complexes and just add another green space to the area.

I have heard several rumors about this, but I have yet to find the actual news article (I missed the news). The word on the street is the complex went for $6 Mil and tenants get around $5900 to relocate. I have no clue if that is true, its just what was going around the office. Can anyone validate that?

Also, was the Doral portion purchased as well? I assumed they were one complex for years. :dontknow:

Mecklenburg County is buying the Cavalier Apartments for $6.6 Million. The formal approval to purchase was given by the County Commissioners at their meeting on March 18th. In addition to the purchase price of the complex, the project budget includes another $3M for tenant relocation and demolition of the buildings.

FEMA chipped in 55% of the money for the project, as these apartments are among the most floodprone buildings in the county. The remaining 45% of the money came from Char-Meck Storm Water Services storm water fees.

The removal of the apartments will create 13 acres of open space, the plan for which has not been finalized. I believe the County is going to be holding public meetings to get input on what to do with the land.

As for Doral, it is not part of this deal and will remain for the time being.

Saw Doug Smith's blurb in the Development section of the O today saying that the Doral apartments owner is potentially seeking rezoning to turn the complex into a mixed use development. This part of town could turn into the next big thing given it's proximity to uptown and ease of getting around town.

That would be good, but doesn't that land always flood really badly when it rains long enough? I could be thinking of a different apartment complex right around there but if it is Doral I am surprised someone would build there again. I do know I see the Doral apartments on the news a lot due to shootings, so anything going in it's place is an improvement.

• 1 month later...

The Roy White Flower redevelopment had been delayed while the city hired a consultant to aid staff in a abbreviated small area plan for the 7th St. corridor in Elizabeth. Preliminary recommendations are going to be released to the public for comment this Monday. The neighborhood and city both agree that they want a cohesive vision for the area before allowing any of the planned redevelopments to proceed. Also, Chris Branch is supposed to be reengaging the neighborhood next week with his updated plans for the Roy White site, which I assume are meant to conform with the city vision???? He was part of the design charette I believe...

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any update on Winter's development plans for the slice of land on the southside of Elizabeth? I drove by tonight and noticed a sign up by Percival McGuire for land for sale. I'm a little confused about how far down 7th Winter plans to develop and how much of the land they already own.

Is there any update on Winter's development plans for the slice of land on the southside of Elizabeth? I drove by tonight and noticed a sign up by Percival McGuire for land for sale. I'm a little confused about how far down 7th Winter plans to develop and how much of the land they already own.

There are two lots on that peninsula (besides the rennaissance stuff)....that Winter does not own....the point lot and the piece you are referring to. Otherwise, they have the whole thing. I am sure they will do a great job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Doug Smith just posted an update on Grubb's Elizabeth Avenue.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/100/story/196073.html

Per the article, construction should start next spring on the medical office building on Hawthorne and apartments wrapping a parking deck behind it along 5th.

Here is a link to an older site plan. I believe the buildings in question are the light blue and yellow builds locate in the upper righthand block on this plan.

http://www.elizabethavenue.com/images/SitePlan.pdf

A list of what will be included:

78k sq. ft. of Medical Office

20k sq. ft. of boutique retail

282 Apartments

750 parking spaces, mostly in a deck between the office and apartments.

Opening in early 2010 (I predict late 2010). No rendering included, but hopefully they will update the site with one.

Good news overall. Elizabeth Ave is a real rarity in this town. A narrow pedestrian friendly street with storefront retail that invites one to actually walk in and out of shops like one is supposed to do in cities. No mention of a specialty grocer that I saw in the article....I thought Fresh Market was rumored to be moving on to Liz ?

Good news overall. Elizabeth Ave is a real rarity in this town. A narrow pedestrian friendly street with storefront retail that invites one to actually walk in and out of shops like one is supposed to do in cities. No mention of a specialty grocer that I saw in the article....I thought Fresh Market was rumored to be moving on to Liz ?

Also the movie theater and the condos got no mention. I wonder if they went away with all condos strictly for apartments now.

Also the movie theater and the condos got no mention. I wonder if they went away with all condos strictly for apartments now.

Also a completely different project than the one being mentioned by ATLRVR

refer to the site plan he posted. The Cinema is accross Eliz Ave from Carpe and etc. The Building being profiled is on the corner of hawthorne and Park dr.

post-17104-1221598285_thumb.jpg

OH NO!!! Did anyone notice the elevated walkway from Presby accross Hawthorne to the new medical building!! Spartan's not going to be too happy...

Edited by Guest

Doug Smith updated his story today, and the block that was to have Whole Foods and a condo tower, is now going to have a 22-story very boring looking apartment tower and an "upscale" grocer on the ground floor. This is separate than the medical office and mid-rise apartments I mentioned yesterday.

Rendering of the 22-story apartment tower. :mellow:

http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/...filiate.138.jpg

I would say this is a step down from what we were originally shown. Construction COULD start on this early next year as well, with the grocer done by mid 2010, and the tower by early 2011.

Doug Smith updated his story today, and the block that was to have Whole Foods and a condo tower, is now going to have a 22-story very boring looking apartment tower and an "upscale" grocer on the ground floor. This is separate than the medical office and mid-rise apartments I mentioned yesterday.

Rendering of the 22-story apartment tower. :mellow:

232-B8236316Z.1_20080917090757_000%20GD254LOT.2.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

I would say this is a step down from what we were originally shown. Construction COULD start on this early next year as well, with the grocer done by mid 2010, and the tower by early 2011.

Not crazy about the new rendering. I feel like they took a huge step back with that rendering than what was presented on Grubb's website with the nicer signature corner and better looking tower.

Referring to this:

GalleryImage1.jpg

Edited by Andyc545

• 3 weeks later...

Four tidbits.

#1. The streetcar track is currently being positioned in Elizabeth between Kings and Charlottetown. They should pave it soon, so we will have imbedded tracks. Also, along with this project, all overhead utilities are getting buried, the streetcar cantery will be going up which will include attached decorative light fixtures. All in all the street will look very clean and urban......just no streetcars to go with it.

#2. CPCC just begun driving piles for an expansion to the building nearest the corner of Elizabeth and Charlottetown. This will include a recladding of the existing building that recently had the exterior stairs demoed. The expansion is going where the gravel surface lot is right at the intersection, which should give that intersection an urban presence at 3 quadrants.

#3. CPCC will be starting work in a couple of months on a new parking deck at the site of the existing below-grade surface lot at the corner of Charlottetown and 7th. This is the massive surface lot between Memorial Stadium and 7th. On the downside, there will be no streetlevel retail included in the deck :(, though there will be some streetlevel "office space" fronting Charlottetown.

#4. The foundation has begun being poured for the new 35k sq. ft. culinary school at the corner of 7th and Kings (backing up to the greenway). I believe they will include landscaping along the creek that will act as an enhancement of the greenway.

Anyway, though I the architecture is less than inspiring, I at least give CPCC credit for designing for the pedestrian first as they completely overhaul their campus.