Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Elizabeth St is looking good. I ran by there last week and, although it's all ripped to shreds, I do see the potential that street has. The culinary school on 7th & Kings will look good there, as it ought to help shape that corner of Elizabeth. Mercy is shaping up too - looks close to completion.

What's the latest regarding the General Dollar on 7th Street? Last I heard, they were tearing down that area for apartments. And what about Philosopher's Stone?? I thought that place was doomed a year ago. I'm glad to see that it's still there - I never wanted it to leave in the first place. I'm just wondering if there's any latest news regarding that area of Elizabeth. Thanks!

Dollar General shopping center is on hold for now. I should probably post in the 7th St. thread, but the last I heard, Roy's Flower shop will no longer be demoed, but rehabbed and subdivided, and the vacant land next door won't be developed. Disappointing if true.

Looks better than the "ski lodge" to me. They sort of match the townhomes on Park Dr.

Whatever happened to those plans? What's the latest??? :dontknow:

Also, I heard that someone bought the apartments on Ridgeway Ave across the street from the new townhomes that backs up to the Clarice Ave Elizabeth Place condos. Does anyone have any info on plans for that land?

Dollar General shopping center is on hold for now. I should probably post in the 7th St. thread, but the last I heard, Roy's Flower shop will no longer be demoed, but rehabbed and subdivided, and the vacant land next door won't be developed. Disappointing if true.

Sorry, I just now found that thread. Yes, disappointing, indeed. That whole area needs a facelift. Anyways, thanks!

Last I heard from someone who I would consider knowledgeable, Roy White Flowers will stay. It will receive a facade upgrade and be subdivided to accomodate smaller retailers. The vacant land between their and the house at 7th/Clement will stay undeveloped. I believe Chris Branch still has an option on this property, but has it on the backburner until his Myers Park issue gets resolved.

I believe the developer of the condos on Clarice was considering buying those apartments several years ago, but didn't, due to the density needed to make the numbers work, versus the current zoning. I haven't heard of anyone else looking at it, but that doesn't mean anything. I hope whatever goes in is more attractive than the modular/pre-fab condos on Ridgeway across the street.

Just because there doesn't seem to be much positive news lately, I'll add the following for Elizabeth Ave.

#1 - Nothing but Noodles (finally) looks like it will be opening within the next month or so. Work seemed to stop for a while, but now the upfit is almost complete and the signage is up.

#2 - Grubb Properties purchased an existing 2-story office building on Elizabeth a couple of weeks ago. The land assemblage continues.

I believe the developer of the condos on Clarice was considering buying those apartments several years ago, but didn't, due to the density needed to make the numbers work, versus the current zoning. I haven't heard of anyone else looking at it, but that doesn't mean anything. I hope whatever goes in is more attractive than the modular/pre-fab condos on Ridgeway across the street.

I had heard through the grapevine that someone had purchased it, but I doubt the accuracy of that source. About Ridgeway condos, I agree. Those look entirely out of place. I'm not sure how the "Elizabeth elite" could approve of that yet disapprove of the development at 7th/Clement. Oh well.

Four tidbits.

#1. The streetcar track is currently being positioned in Elizabeth between Kings and Charlottetown. They should pave it soon, so we will have imbedded tracks. Also, along with this project, all overhead utilities are getting buried, the streetcar cantery will be going up which will include attached decorative light fixtures. All in all the street will look very clean and urban......just no streetcars to go with it.

I thought my eyes were deceiving me tonight as I was driving down Charlottetown. I had to do a double take. Yes, it was trackage! atlrvr, is there a rendoring that shows this area with the streetcar visible? I have not had any luck finding one.

I need to keep up better on this project, as this Elizabeth Ave makeover is one of my most anticipated. The view of the skyline between 7th and 3rd (when CPCC isn't blocking the view) has always been my fave.

I thought my eyes were deceiving me tonight as I was driving down Charlottetown. I had to do a double take. Yes, it was trackage! atlrvr, is there a rendoring that shows this area with the streetcar visible? I have not had any luck finding one.

The only one I've seen is the video fly through on the Elizabeth Ave. website: http://www.elizabethavenue.com/Tour.html

#3. CPCC will be starting work in a couple of months on a new parking deck at the site of the existing below-grade surface lot at the corner of Charlottetown and 7th. This is the massive surface lot between Memorial Stadium and 7th. On the downside, there will be no streetlevel retail included in the deck :(, though there will be some streetlevel "office space" fronting Charlottetown.

Am%20Leg%20Park%20Deck.jpg

I really like the size and scale of this building...and that it will hide the ugly back side of Memorial Stadium and how it fronts the street along 7th and Charlottetowne....too bad its main purpose will be to store cars and it wont drive much pedestrian traffic along some major streets.

Little factoid about Memorial Stadium...when it was completed President FDR attended the Dedication Ceremony.

^ I think it should be a requirement that new stand-alone parking decks be designed to allow the conversion of the ground floor to retail. I'm not sure this one is, but all it takes is some thoughtful planning of the ramps and ingress/egress drives. On a large deck like this, it would be very shortsighted to to consider retail as a potential future use.

^ I think it should be a requirement that new stand-alone parking decks be designed to allow the conversion of the ground floor to retail. I'm not sure this one is, but all it takes is some thoughtful planning of the ramps and ingress/egress drives. On a large deck like this, it would be very shortsighted to to consider retail as a potential future use.

especially in such a high-visibility location.

well, i'm glad now that i didn't rent in that crappy quadro-plex across the street from it, the only good thing about it was the view!

so far i'm really excited about most of the Elizabeth plans...those few blocks aren't so much of a blank slate as other parts of town so it kind of requires more sensitive development.

I just noticed there is a building permit application out for 1928 E 8th St., listed at "Rehab Condos".

I believe Conformity Corp owns this building, and is nearly adjacent to their offices. Perhaps Conformity can shed some light on what is going on.

This is located between Pecan and Clement and backs up to Dollar General, and is really out of place on mostly residential 8th St.

The existing building. (it was an old rug cleaning warehouse)

PO150948.JPG

I just noticed there is a building permit application out for 1928 E 8th St., listed at "Rehab Condos".

I believe Conformity Corp owns this building, and is nearly adjacent to their offices. Perhaps Conformity can shed some light on what is going on.

This is located between Pecan and Clement and backs up to Dollar General, and is really out of place on mostly residential 8th St.

The existing building. (it was an old rug cleaning warehouse)

I just answered my own question. It appears the existing building is going to be converted into 5 residential condos. I assume they are residential because there is a sign and rendering in front of the property, and it looks residential and the name is something like 8th St. Flats.

Anyway, I'm glad to see new projects still entering the market, and think that it's relatively small size and lower prices ($139k+) should make it successful. Hopefully 5 people have credit scores in the 700's. :)

^ Wow... that street is completely different then when I took summer classes there and walking between the bookstore for a snack and class across the street. I commend Grubb for going ahead and putting in those rails; I think the hype alone will lead to more fan fare in pushing the Phase 1 up to a closer start date (maybe with this new admin, also). It was a risky move to invest the money in, but it may pay off big for his development if all goes well.

Edited by Andyc545

• 1 month later...

a few months ago I came across an ad in US Airways magazine for a condo development in Tempe that seemed remarkably similar to what Grubb is proposing in Elizabeth. check out the following link:

http://www.tempecondomania.com/viewImage.p...osaic/pic01.jpg

Mosaic Tempe is the name. I'm sure it's locked up due to the credit crunch, but I thought that the project was interesting. Replace the condo tower with the hotel and you have it.

on a side note, I am really, really hoping that the businesses stay alive through the construction. NOFO opened Mexicafe and it features $1 beers all day saturday. any beer! That's nice in a tough economy

I'm not sure whether it is because it is funded by the county or something else, but CPCC under Zeiss seems be really doing its part to improve its neighborhood. I know some on here don't like the attempts to rebuild the campus with traditional architecture, (I think it is necessary to wipe out as many of the horrible 70s junker buildings as possible, to reinstall some gravitas). But beyond architecture, they are really doing what they can to fit into an urban context and beautify the area. Don't forget that the Elizabeth Ave streetscape is a partnership between Charlotte, CPCC, and Grubb.