Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

Is Grubb dusting off the plans or redoing them? The 20K of retail is right at what his plans had at this location, and 550 apartments is about right for that block as well.

The old site plan is still up (for now) at: http://www.elizabethavenue.com/images/Old_SitePlan.pdf

It's a mix of old and new. The plans are done and renderings should be coming soon. This project is supposedly in the south side of the Torrance & Elizabeth intersection Edited by Jayvee

^  Are you sure.  I'm pretty confident that this will go on the Northeast corner where an office building was originally planned, and also they entire block behind it (bound by Torrence, Travis and Park).  The apartments orginally planned on the east side of travis will instead be parking for the new Heart Center that Presby wants to build.  I hope that the aparments would wrap that deck, but I'm doubtful that's still in the plans.

^What about Fresh Market?

I think that would be a little too close to the Earl's Grocery concept, which is currently killing it and even though its small is a lot cooler than a FM IMO. I think the opportunity for a full size grocer like the original plans is probably passed for now. I would prefer to see one at 4th/Hawthorne/Queens rather than taking up any Elizabeth frontage anyway. 

Regarding Fresh Market, they actually did sign a letter of intent in late 2008 I believe to take that corner at Hawthorne, between Elizabeth and Queens.  I would suspect with the Dilworth store, they are no longer interested.  Earth Fare may be an option, but I'm not sure how well they are doing as a chain right now.

Regardings JJack's.....ummm...maybe its a tip of their hat to being definat, but they don't own their land, and by-right zoning I believe allows a Walgreens or a Taco Bell.  Be careful what you wish for.

Yeah, if it's only 1 block, or 1/2 block, then it would have to be high-rise.  At 550 units, that's 20% more than the 27-story Catalyst.  I still can't imagine it being a single-building.  High-rise plus mid-rise perhaps?

Thats what I'm guessing. Keep in mind Crescent Uptown is only 440 units, The Vue is only 460 units. I think we will see the scope mentioned expanding, to more than one block.

So I guess Grubb no longer has plans for a plaza in the middle of that block. Too bad, since it would have given that area a central gathering place for people and activities (unless it has been moved across the street in the new plans):

http://www.elizabethavenue.com/images/Old_SitePlan.pdf

Edited by Third Strike

Could this be high-rise?!

I'm hearing 20 floors on 2 floors of retail. Should be more renderings coming soon.

This is such a huge mega deal I think. This, along with SouthEnd getting multiple highrises is a new chapter in Center city history. 

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the lack of offices.  Available office space could bring more professional diversity to Elizabeth Ave.  

Elizabeth Ave has PLENTY of unused lots.  I'm sure we will see some midrise office development in there if it starts to blow up like we are all hoping.

Also, out of curiosity, does the city or county own any amount of land in this part of town?  I ask because I think it would be a perfect spot for an "uptown" high school that could essentially serve Uptown, Dilworth and Elizabeth.

There's a small, triangle-shaped piece of land where 3rd St transitions from one-way to two-way. I haven't paid attention to it lately, but at least somewhat recently the land was for sale. Aside from building a Flatiron Building replica, any idea what you could do with something like that? 

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the lack of offices.  Available office space could bring more professional diversity to Elizabeth Ave.  

Elizabeth Ave has PLENTY of unused lots.  I'm sure we will see some midrise office development in there if it starts to blow up like we are all hoping.

Also, out of curiosity, does the city or county own any amount of land in this part of town?  I ask because I think it would be a perfect spot for an "uptown" high school that could essentially serve Uptown, Dilworth and Elizabeth.

They own a bit but not nearly enough.  I don't think a uptown high school is on the horizon at all, they'd have to come up with a fairly creative facilities plan to do that (sports fields, parking, bus access and parking etc...) I think the minimum lot needed is like 30 acres IIRC.   Theoretically they could share some facilities with Independence park and Memorial stadium/Grady Cole, and there is probably enough space to replace where the Ag Extension is with a High School, if they could get a parking agreement with St. Martins.  

They own a bit but not nearly enough.  I don't think a uptown high school is on the horizon at all, they'd have to come up with a fairly creative facilities plan to do that (sports fields, parking, bus access and parking etc...) I think the minimum lot needed is like 30 acres IIRC.   Theoretically they could share some facilities with Independence park and Memorial stadium/Grady Cole, and there is probably enough space to replace where the Ag Extension is with a High School, if they could get a parking agreement with St. Martins.  

Myers Park H.S. currently serves Elizabeth, Dilworth, and uptown east of Brevard.  Any attempt to reassign those neighborhoods to a new school could quickly turn into the political fight of the century.  

The central part of the city is going to need a new high school though. It kind of needs to if it wants to keep families in neighborhoods like Plaza Midwood, NoDa, and Wesley Heights. People in those neighborhoods aren't going to want to send their kids to West Charlotte or Garinger.

I know the city closed Hawthorne High this past year and invested a lot into turning it into a magnet school, so maybe that will eventually be a second solid HS option, but I'm not convinced of that.

• Like 2

If an uptown high school happens it will be in 2nd ward.  County and School Board own land there. 

Elizabeth used to have a High School.  It was called "Charlotte Central High School"  it moved to east Charlotte and was renamed "Garinger"  The building is easy to spot:

3676293068_015bc4c2ea_b.jpgCentral_High_School,_Charlotte,_N._C._(5

• Like 1