Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

12 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Shawarma is what Arabs call it (and doesn't taste the same because hey use tahini). Gyros are Greek. By the way, if you guys want to try a really authentic gyro in Charlotte, try Mad Greek or The Little Village Grill ;)

Haha, Sorry I live in an predominantly Arab neighborhood in Brooklyn. I forget these things. 

On 3/18/2016 at 9:37 AM, CLTNative said:

Shomars is definitely a guilty pleasure, but does anyone else think it's silly to put the outdoor lighting over the awning? They point directly into it. Seems odd to me, as if they should have one or the other.

It does look goofy with the lights on.

I1dWFKf.jpg

On 3/18/2016 at 0:45 AM, Temeteron said:

Shawarma is what Arabs call it (and doesn't taste the same because hey use tahini). Gyros are Greek. By the way, if you guys want to try a really authentic gyro in Charlotte, try Mad Greek or The Little Village Grill ;)

I don't know how authentic it is, but Sammy's has a great gyro too.

1 hour ago, Niner National said:

1 hour ago, Niner National said:

Sammy's is Lebanese owned, however, I haven't tried their gyro. I myself am Greek so I have high standards when it comes to gyros. I tried their Greek salad it it was God awful. Not sure if I'll be impressed by their gyro. Still think Mad Greek and Little Village Grill are the best :)

• Like 1

On March 18, 2016 at 8:26 AM, ah59396 said:

Agree on the mad greek.  love the food there.  Showmars is just something i'll do if i'm lazy and want to grab something fast.  Side note and slightly off topic, there's also a really solid Greek Cafe on S Blvd now called Mocco Bistro.  It's right next to Scaleybark and their feta pie is so good I want to die thinking about it.

I go to Mocco every Sunday! :)Sundays are predominantly Greek since we all have restaurants haha. We should have a UP meet up there!

• 3 weeks later...

Go figure city council has issue with arguably the best looking midrise we've seen proposed in a while.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article72546732.html

" Council member Claire Fallon was blunt in stating her dislike of the proposed design: “Can we find some architects in this town that don’t design buildings to look like a factory or a barracks?"

That quote particularly made me laugh since the design (flatiron corner in particular) gives it character versus the soul-less boxes springing up elsewhere in town.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

“It’s way too high. It’s too intense. And I would like to know what the architect’s inspiration was for the design elements of this project. It’s too long,” said Patsy Kinsey, drawing applause from local residents who came out to oppose the project. “I’m sorry, I can’t go for that. It’s not right.”

I'm dry-heaving my perplexity over this. Patsy Kinsey, you don't know everything JUST BECAUSE YOU WORKED AT AT ARCHITECTURAL FIRM YEARS AGO. Seriously, she is blowing my mind. What is wrong with her?

wow, I thought this project would have no problem getting approved. It is one of the best projects proposed so far.

How she thinks that looks like a military barracks, I'll never understand. It looks so much better than the thing being built across the street, or any of the apartments under construction on Central right now.

Patsy lives about 3 blocks away from this project on Greenway Ave.

She typically votes against projects for the neighborhoods she represents, and for every project not in her district.

She and Claire the least urban-design supportive candidates on city council, IMO.

EDIT:  It might be worth noting that the Mayor lives about 3 blocks away as well on Clement.  While the Mayor doesn't vote, she can influence other council members. 

54 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

She typically votes against projects for the neighborhoods she represents, and for every project not in her district.

She adored the Parkwood Residences project in Optimist Park, despite vehement and organized neighborhood opposition. Kinsey is all over the place. 

But this Elizabeth project just goes to show that you'll have neighborhood opposition to great projects and crappy projects all the same...

Edited by SgtCampsalot

She adored the Parkwood Residences project in Optimist Park, despite vehement and organized neighborhood opposition. Kinsey is all over the place. 

But this Elizabeth project just goes to show that you'll have neighborhood opposition to great projects and crappy projects all the same...

She also singlehandedly killed the Old Chatham Swim Club and townhomes on the Vanlandingham property that the Plaza Midwood neighborhood and neighborhood association strongly supported.

50 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

She also singlehandedly killed the Old Chatham Swim Club and townhomes on the Vanlandingham property that the Plaza Midwood neighborhood and neighborhood association strongly supported.

She's the quintessential politician....I'm sure that some of her key supporters are against this just due to the fact that they don't want any "additional" traffic to impede them going to the grocery store or dentist or geriatric swim lessons!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midwoodian said:

Not looking to relitigate the whole Swim Club episode, but a large segment of the Plaza Midwood neighborhood opposed that project.  Of course, many did support it.

In any event, as others noted it's hard to see why this project provoked this much Council opposition giving what else is going up in the area...

On 1/27/2016 at 8:33 AM, UrbanGossip said:

There is a 2016-15 rezoning petition for this to a Conditional MUDD...  Now let's all watch as the neighborhood comes together and nitpicks the crap out of this thing until Faison kills it.  Maybe it will be different this time but historically they can't get out of their own way when it comes to this corner.

It should be different this time because this is the best proposal to come along for this corner so far.

Ahhh Elizabeth (and Patsy), you're so predictable...

A group of us are going to send "Urban Planning for Dummies" to Patsy's house. Address is below.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=FrvJcT0NzfQC&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKTAD0930BO1&gl=US&gclid=CMiko8PbncwCFUWbNwod7e0CWQ&gclsrc=ds

C/O Patsy Kinsey
2334 Greenway Avenue

Charlotte, NC  28204

I think it will resonate more if we all send the same exact book.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

A group of us are going to send "Urban Planning for Dummies" to Patsy's house. Address is below.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=FrvJcT0NzfQC&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKTAD0930BO1&gl=US&gclid=CMiko8PbncwCFUWbNwod7e0CWQ&gclsrc=ds

C/O Patsy Kinsey
2334 Greenway Avenue

Charlotte, NC  28204

I think it will resonate more if we all send the same exact book.

On it.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Elizabeth did not say No to the rezoning. There are some ongoing concerns about how traffic enters and exits the parking garage, and the amount of parking they are providing onsite that had not been resolved at the time of the hearing, so they said "No approval at this time". Conversations are ongoing. As Mayor Roberts said "Looks like there is still work to be done".

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, sakami said:

I don't know who is behind it but I saw little, professionally produced signs that say "No Faison Apartments" all around the corner at 7th and Caswell. Very discouraging. Couldn't grab a picture from the car. 

Probably the lady who I sent 13 "Urban Planning for Dummies" books to.