Elizabeth Projects (7th St, Elizabeth Ave, etc)

JunktionFET

21 hours ago, sakami said:

I don't know who is behind it but I saw little, professionally produced signs that say "No Faison Apartments" all around the corner at 7th and Caswell. Very discouraging. Couldn't grab a picture from the car. 

Someone needs to place a "bring back Kenny Rodgers roasters" sign.  I lived in Elizabeth for 20 years and I cannot understand the neighborhood's constant refusal to comprehend that "the grass isn't always greener."  7th street has so much potential, but the nimbyism continuously prevents progress toward realization of that potential.

• Like 4

On 4/20/2016 at 5:03 PM, Bat'leth said:

Elizabeth did not say No to the rezoning. There are some ongoing concerns about how traffic enters and exits the parking garage, and the amount of parking they are providing onsite that had not been resolved at the time of the hearing, so they said "No approval at this time". Conversations are ongoing. As Mayor Roberts said "Looks like there is still work to be done".

On 6/8/2016 at 10:09 AM, sakami said:

I don't know who is behind it but I saw little, professionally produced signs that say "No Faison Apartments" all around the corner at 7th and Caswell. Very discouraging. Couldn't grab a picture from the car. 

Just thought I'd hook you two up - Elizabeth is saying no.  Elizabeth is hopeless.  It's been a decade now that someone has been trying to develop that area.  And a decade later they have a Dollar General and an empty strip mall.  Then on the site in question a run down building (albiet a great concept bar) and a parking lot.  They now have a really great proposal from a planning perspective and the "anti-developer" attitude is so ingrained they can't stop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UrbanGossip said:

Just thought I'd hook you two up - Elizabeth is saying no.  Elizabeth is hopeless.  It's been a decade now that someone has been trying to develop that area.  And a decade later they have a Dollar General and an empty strip mall.  Then on the site in question a run down building (albiet a great concept bar) and a parking lot.  They now have a really great proposal from a planning perspective and the "anti-developer" attitude is so ingrained they can't stop.

I think the dog bar where Pstone use to be is closed. I havent seen any activity there in weeks.

7 minutes ago, sakami said:

What happens from here? If Faison decides to abandon the project and someone else wants to develop it the neighborhood won't be able to use the Protest Petition anymore right? 

They already can't use the PP (Faison had re-submitted this proposal to make it so). Their support with council at the moment is because of the neighborhood's organization/volume regarding parking garage entrance location, etc.

1 hour ago, DMann said:

I understand that a compromise has been made and a solution found to satisfy both sides.   Fewer units, and 2 buildings instead of 1.

Well my feet are cold.  Hell has frozen over and this property might get developed.  I hope that the loss of units doesn't cheapen the product too much.

1 hour ago, DMann said:

I understand that a compromise has been made and a solution found to satisfy both sides.   Fewer units, and 2 buildings instead of 1.

As long as the materials and street experience haven't been cheapened, that is probably fine. The facade variation did a great job of masking that it was one long building, but two separate buildings could potentially be nicer. Any idea when we will see an updated rendering?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

As long as the materials and street experience haven't been cheapened, that is probably fine. The facade variation did a great job of masking that it was one long building, but two separate buildings could potentially be nicer. Any idea when we will see an updated rendering?

Yeah, I'm thinking this is actually better.  I also think that the building going up across the street is likely prompting much of the opposition to this project.  This is much nicer though and I'm glad it will move forward.  Two buildings and fewer units will almost definitely make it fit the neighborhood better.  In the end, it wasn't pretty but it appears the process worked to produce a better outcome.

A resident in Elizabeth tells me that she saw who put up the "No Faison Apartments" signs. He is a person who lives adjacent to the property and who is a well known "Bull in the China Shop" personality. The signs are not a part of any organized neighborhood protest to the project. Last evening the Elizabeth Neighborhood Association sent out an email supporting the rezoning, due to changes that Faison made to address neighborhood concerns. A second public hearing on the rezoning petition before City Council will take place Monday, June 20

• Like 1

How will two buildings be arranged on the site? Don't they need one central parking structure either way?

'Hare of the Dog' is closed, and according to their website they are looking for a new location...

In other news, I noticed the bike/ped path on 8th St has started construction. I didn't take any pics but all they've done at this point is take out some trees.

CLTCC has approved the revised Faison plans.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article84954132.html#storylink=latest_side

At Bat'leth correctly points out, it was just a hearing. The webpage headline magically changed from "approves" to "hears," although they don't note the correction.

Edited by tozmervo
Observer fail.

Observer got it wrong. Because of the scope of the changes, a re-do of the public hearing was required. Last night's presentation was a public hearing. The actual vote will be next month. But, the Elizabeth Neighborhood Association came out in support of the rezoning at last night's hearing due to Faison making the changes that they requested

1 hour ago, Bat'leth said:

Observer got it wrong. Because of the scope of the changes, a re-do of the public hearing was required. Last night's presentation was a public hearing. The actual vote will be next month. But, the Elizabeth Neighborhood Association came out in support of the rezoning at last night's hearing due to Faison making the changes that they requested

Katie was fillin in for Ely. I don't think she's been to a hearing b4.